XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Stability control failure / ABS warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Question about Stability control failure / ABS warning

4 days ago I got caught in a heavy rainstorm.. Drove through deep puddles for about 2 hours..

The next day after a 10 mile highway run, the stability control failure warning and ABS light come on.
I pull over to my destination, turn the car off.
I come back an hour later, start the car and go home

The warning or ABS light have not been on since 3 days now.

Your thoughts?

Old 07-04-2017, 05:07 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Sorry no clue but it appears something got wet and caused the short. Just like if I move my seat up and down quick I get a DSC Fault. Madness.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Coincidentally, I have 4 new rotors and pads scheduled to be installed tomorrow.
I'll ask my mechanic if he has a clue..

If the rotors are removed, would the mechanic have a visual on the ABS sensor ?

Old 07-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
Coincidentally, I have 4 new rotors and pads scheduled to be installed tomorrow.
I'll ask my mechanic if he has a clue..

If the rotors are removed, would the mechanic have a visual on the ABS sensor ?
Stability Control/ABS

The wheel speed sensors can get dirty and/or wet. Only a small screw holds each one in place. The two on the back are accessible above the inside of the wheels, two on front can be removed for cleaning from the forward part of the wheels. Once removed, use soap and water to get the grime off while covering the electrical connection with a finger to keep it relatively dry. May have to go through a few trips before the light goes off.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

As these cars age they become more susceptible to leaky connectors. A friend destroyed his abs module driving in heavy rain. Have you mechanic clean the abs module connector and check for moisture.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

The wheel speed sensors' wiring harness rubber boots tend to crack and split as the years go by, allowing moisture into the wiring harnesses. I discovered this the first time I pulled the sensors (in March 2013) to scrub them clean after my wife complained about ABS/DSC warnings randomly appearing on the dash. To fix the boots, I purchased a tube of neutral-cure RTV silicone sealant, cleaned the cracked and split boots, dried them thoroughly with a hair dryer, then applied a generous amount of the sealant all over and around the boots, ensuring that I spread enough sealant over each boot to seal all cracks from the elements. I kept the car on jackstands overnight and allowed the sealant to cure for 24 hours before I plugged the wiring harness rubber boots back into the sensors. That ended the random ABS/DSC warnings on the dash - my wife has not reported seeing them since....

I continue to pull and clean the wheel speed sensors at every oil & filter change / tire rotation (6,000-mile intervals). I inspect the condition of the rubber boots each time, and if my silicone sealant "glob" appears to wearing off, I gently clean it up with some of the same dish soap & water I use to scrub the sensors, dry it thoroughly, and add more sealant. I have had to add more sealant at least once and maybe twice since March 2013. Well worth the effort if this process keeps the ABS/DSC systems happy....

Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Damn doesnt anybody check damn codes before jumping on a diagnositic bandwagon. Pull the codes then you can have a informed direction to take...

motorcarman (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Not everyone can read those codes, and travel to a shop with the software may take more time than doing some basic maintenance, not to mention the cost of diagnostics.

My own opinion is that if you're going to mess with aging Jags you should invest in the software. I think there are inexpensive smartphone apps that can read all the codes now.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by rj237
not everyone can read those codes, and travel to a shop with the software may take more time than doing some basic maintenance, not to mention the cost of diagnostics.

My own opinion is that if you're going to mess with aging jags you should invest in the software. I think there are inexpensive smartphone apps that can read all the codes now.
no but you can go to almost any auto parts store and they can pull obd2 and abs codes. I know my $50 scanner i use at work when i dont want to boot up a full sdd session does. Then you can go from there without wasting time. Water ingress is usually a wheel speed sensor/link lead issue. But you have a choice of 4

motorcarman (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

The stores in Georgia must be behind the times, only P codes.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Brutal,

Cleaning the wheel speed sensors and tending to the cracked wiring harness boots is a no-brainer given the age of these cars now. Plus, it is quick, easy, and cheap. Do not try to guess which wheel may be causing the issue - clean and check all four of them....