XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset State OBD Checks?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SOLVED Reset State OBD Checks?????

SOLVED FINALLY< So after $1,436 I now have an Inspection sticker and the car is running great, except for an Air bag code 32 and hairline cracks in the engine covers. I was not charged for $600 in parts because he had them from a re-build and only charged for 1/4 the labor I'm sure. Plus he drove it 200 miles to flip the cycles in order to get it to pass inspection. It's been in the shop since Dec 15th, nice to have it back. I'm out of Iraq fun money from KBR. The buck has to stop here. It was fun giving my money away. Had to go back into the engine to replace the VVT assembly's. But I got used ones for cheaper, had both replaced to be sure the wear was the same on them and both VVT solenoids. This repair would have killed me at a dealer. Also got a new belt, detail and price included the inspection sticker. The P1396 code is now gone so it can pass inspection every year. Was $1436 worth not going the illegal route for a sticker??? I'm not sure, we will see how it does from now on. The hairline cracks don't matter now and the airbag I think I can fix....I think. The car does run better and seems even quicker and faster.

Total spent on the Jag thus far from my spread sheet. $22,181 But that includes everything, Taxes, inspections, plates, Timing chains & guides, water pump , new hoses, including power steering, radiator and fuel, KN air intake, new rearview mirror, front dash speakers, new brakes and rotors, new x pipe exhaust, painted paint chips, all front suspension parts, tint, detailing, New MAFS, HID headlights, rear parking sensor (still not installed yet), Satellite stereo and amp , new rims & tires, oil changes and flushes and all the other little things....everything except gas.
Much more then the $8,000 sales price I paid a little over a year ago. :-)
Please!! no more!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!
Scott

Prevoius
Hi, I have been clearing a P1936 Code (vvt) after my oil flush, I'm pretty sure that is gone after my 100 mile drive to heat up and move the new oil around and has'nt returned. It would come on after 5 min of driving and I'd clear the check engine light w/ my ET-105 tool and then it would stay off all day till the car sat overnight. ANYWAY my problem is I went to get a Texas state inspection and they said my computer Monitors weren't all ready?? So I drove 125 miles (never turned the car off) and came back and they still werent all ready after my last reset. So does anybody know how long I have to drive it to get the HO2, O2 Sensors, Comprehensive and other Monitors in the computer active again??? I did finally figure out how to see them on my ET-105 tool

Thanks, Scott

1999 Jaguar XK8 Convt.
Timing Chains
Front Suspension Parts
Rear View Mirror

Last edited by skyscuba; 01-06-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: SOLVED!!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If everything is buttoned up and running correctly, not only will you need to clear the codes, but the car must complete the proper number of drive cycles to clear the P1000 code.

Here is a Ford drive cycle procedure, it may be pretty close to jaguars...but I doubt you'll find jag's published somewhere on the web. Its worth a shot to rush your car to be inspected.

report back please if it works

Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Thank You, I promise to report back. I have 13 days to get through the drive cycle and pass Inspection before I'll have to pay again.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Default Still working on P1396

Hi, I have not fixed the P1396, Turns out you have to do two cycles to have the check engine MIL light come on BUT it still throws the code on the 1st start up. I tried driving 150 miles after the 1st start up and tried to follow the Drive Cycles I had.....not turning the car off and planning to drive directly to the inspection shop... but to no avail. I couldn't get the last monitor to be "Ready" for inspection. In Texas for a 99 you are allowed to have 2 "not ready" statuses for inspection but the MIL light can't be on. I always had Comprehensive, O2 and Catalyst not ready. I'm pretty sure this code came up after the chains were done or soon after the 2nd oil flush (before I had my code reader I was also getting a MAFS code so can't be sure if the P1396 was there right after the chains were done or not) Anyway I called DPS and 1996 and latter has to be OBD inspected w/ the computer, I was hoping for an old type of inspection. I also checked the fines for no inspection sticker and in Harris County its $115. I was going to just blow it off and pay the fines every time I get a ticket. BUT I decided to take it in to my Jag Mechanic (all he works on, he did my chains too) to see if he can figure it out. He already knows the Solenoids are good and the voltages are all correct. I think he's guessing now that it is some oil clogging up the vvt after the oil flushes causing a diff pressure on one bank for a few seconds throwing the code. Or something like that... I guess this might be expensive if he has to take it apart again,….maybe a cam sensor is off a little?? Funny thing is, the car runs great and quick, No hesitation. I tore it up hard for 150 miles. Now I'm hoping I get it back soon. I also got great gas mileage. I’ll update when I know something from my Mechanic.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

dang scott, I hope it's something simple and he can find it.

I'm sure you saw these threads? One, Two, Three

Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM

I hadn't seen all or the end of the 2nd post, Thanks, I'm calling my guy to check the cam sensor wires too.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Default Solved

Solved

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Solved info in the 1st post edit on top

Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Yeah! celebration time...