XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rigidness of the convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rigidness of the convertible?

How rigid is the convertible, particularly at the a-pillars? Through regular driving, I can see a lot of vibration going through my rear view mirror. I'm not sure if this is just indicative of most convertibles which do not have a roof or b & c-pillars to keep every thing rigid above the window line. The XK8 is my first real convertible. The last car I had without a roof was a Wrangler, but that had roll bars connecting everything tight together.

I know in my daily driver stationwagon, there are hardly any shakes noticed in my rear view mirror when I drive.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

It's extremely rigid at the a-pillars. I haven't seen one in a rollover accident that collapsed the pillars into the passenger compartment. Much more common is a loose mirror both at the windshield connection and in the mirror itself at the ball and socket.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

If you are talking about structural rigidity, e.g. Cowl Shake, then I think my 97 is pretty flimsy. I have a lot of body flex. The difference with the top up and windows sealed is readily apparent. I think the 93+ had some additional unibody strengthening, especially under the rocker panel cavities; but I have not been able to confirm this.

I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has ideas, or knows about, strengthening the chassis on these cars. The flex is my only complaint in an otherwise superb auto. gordo

Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Gordo I thought your screen name sounded familiar. Do you post on 300zxclub.com? If so you does the screen name turbotech sound familiar? either way its quite a coincidence we both have 300zxtt's and XKR's dont you think?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
It's extremely rigid at the a-pillars. I haven't seen one in a rollover accident that collapsed the pillars into the passenger compartment. Much more common is a loose mirror both at the windshield connection and in the mirror itself at the ball and socket.
Hi Real Tech, you're right. I pushed on the mirror and it was loose. Then I got out and look through the windshield and the adhesive may have separated between the glass and the mirror stem.

I'm going to remove the stem cover and see if there are any screws or nuts to tighten the mirror. I didn't see a tab or opening to take the cover off, would you know of a special way that needs to be done? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Well, I got the two plastic covers off fairly easily. And that was the only part that was easy. The metal rails that connect the mirror to the windshield are worn prohibiting a tight fit. Efforts using thread tape, then silicone, were unsuccessful. Then, of course, an hour later, the simplest solution is always the best. I used two layers of double-sided foam tape between the windshield and the mirror stem to fill in the gap caused by the worn rails. That fixed the looseness at the stem closer to the glass.

Unfortunately, there still a very slight little bit of play further down the stem towards the mirror, perhaps at the ball/joint. I may look into a fix for this later.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
Gordo I thought your screen name sounded familiar. Do you post on 300zxclub.com? If so you does the screen name turbotech sound familiar? either way its quite a coincidence we both have 300zxtt's and XKR's dont you think?
Yes, Hi Brian. Once in a while I go over to the club, but my 300zxtt home is TT.net. I've been on there since 2001. aka Gordo 93TT Daytona

Do you also have a 01 BMW 235xit? LOL.