XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough / Hard start and solutions. Can we make a list?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rough / Hard start and solutions. Can we make a list?

I have a 00 XKR with a rough start and I'm about to search through the threads in the XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) forum to find other rough start situations and how they were resolved. And then I thought why not make a list that'll hopefully help someone in the future!

If you know of a thread that I haven't added yet or had a rough start story that wasn't documented on jaguarforums please reply or send me a pm and I'll add you to the list.

User: seawind
Whip: 00 XKR
Symptoms: Struggles to start, once started idles and drives fine. Starts much quicker when warm. No check engine light, when scanned P1000 is present because the drive cycle has not been completed (the drive cycle can take a while because jaguars are picky). Rough start can be heard in the attached audio file "00 XKR Rough Start.mp3", the audio file is a recording of the vehicle starting after sitting overnight, letting it idle, turning off and starting again. Recently I replaced the dual fuel pumps with aftermarket Delphi FE0479's due to a no start issue (the hard start was present before the fuel pumps died and were replaced). Has anybody successfully used an aftermarket fuel pump?
Solution: None yet! Ideas anyone?

User: bcprice36
Whip: 05 XKR
Link/URL to thread
Symptoms: Takes 4-6 seconds to start up, cranks and then runs a little rough for a couple of seconds. Turning key to auxiliary for up to 10 seconds does not make it start any smoother.
Solution: Replaced Fuel Pump. Afterwards, car would not start and Smart Junction Fuse/Relay Box in the Boot has to be replaced as well.

User: johnhennessey
Whip: 97 XK8
Link/URL to thread

Symptoms: Cranks but will not start, have to crank for some time to start. Intermittent issue, sometimes it will start right up.
Solution: None posted, PMed user.

User: glbracke
Link/URL to thread

Symptoms: Hard start after engine is warm. Not overheating. Has to pump the pedal and continuously crank for 10 seconds to start. Starts easily when cool. Runs no problem and no codes from ECM.
Solution: Replaced coolant temperature sensor

User: 97xkay8
Link/URL to thread

Symptoms: Takes multiple attempts and long cranking to start. Same issue with the engine hot or cold.
Solution: Crank position sensor replacement and cleared multiple ECM/check engine light codes.

User: deadboy1977
Whip: 03 XKR
Link/URL to thread

Symptoms: Cranks and cranks, eventually starting. Once started runs fine.
Solution: Fuel pump replacement. The dealer had to replace it 3 times before it was fixed! The check valve fails in the fuel pump causing the gas to drain back.

User: wojo:
Whip: 03 XK8
Link/URL to thread

Symptoms: Hard start. No fuel coming out of Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Check engine light on with code p0191. Onboard test reports ":$07 EVAP SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED (GROSS LEAK) 395.8 KPA". While cranking fuel pressure slowly rises to 20 PSI, once started stays near 50 PSI, drops to 20 PSI when revved but steadies at 50 PSI afterward
Solution:Fuel pump replacement. The fuel pump housing cracked after hitting a pothole at 70 MPH.

Thanks to, all thread members that updated their threads with solutions as well as deadboy1977 and wojo for responding in PM with their solutions!

Will be adding more soon.....

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
00 XKR Rough Start.mp3 (1.13 MB, 26 views)

Last edited by seawind; 10-19-2018 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (10-20-2018)
Old 01-24-2022, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 XK8 Hard to start.

Originally Posted by seawind
I have a 00 XKR with a rough start and I'm about to search through the threads in the XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) forum to find other rough start situations and how they were resolved. And then I thought why not make a list that'll hopefully help someone in the future!

If you know of a thread that I haven't added yet or had a rough start story that wasn't documented on jaguarforums please reply or send me a pm and I'll add you to the list.

User: seawind
Whip: 00 XKR
Symptoms: Struggles to start, once started idles and drives fine. Starts much quicker when warm. No check engine light, when scanned P1000 is present because the drive cycle has not been completed (the drive cycle can take a while because jaguars are picky). Rough start can be heard in the attached audio file "00 XKR Rough Start.mp3", the audio file is a recording of the vehicle starting after sitting overnight, letting it idle, turning off and starting again. Recently I replaced the dual fuel pumps with aftermarket Delphi FE0479's due to a no start issue (the hard start was present before the fuel pumps died and were replaced). Has anybody successfully used an aftermarket fuel pump?
Solution: None yet! Ideas anyone?

User: bcprice36
Whip: 05 XKR
Link/URL to thread
Symptoms: Takes 4-6 seconds to start up, cranks and then runs a little rough for a couple of seconds. Turning key to auxiliary for up to 10 seconds does not make it start any smoother.
Solution: Replaced Fuel Pump. Afterwards, car would not start and Smart Junction Fuse/Relay Box in the Boot has to be replaced as well.

User: johnhennessey
Link/URL to thread
Symptoms: Cranks but will not start, have to crank for some time to start. Intermittent issue, sometimes it will start right up.
Solution: None posted, PMed user.

User: glbracke
Link/URL to thread
Symptoms: Hard start after engine is warm. Not overheating. Has to pump the pedal and continuously crank for 10 seconds to start. Starts easily when cool. Runs no problem and no codes from ECM.
Solution: Replaced coolant temperature sensor

User: 97xkay8
Link/URL to thread
Symptoms: Takes multiple attempts and long cranking to start. Same issue with the engine hot or cold.
Solution: Crank position sensor replacement and cleared multiple ECM/check engine light codes.

User: deadboy1977
Whip: 03 XKR
Link/URL to thread
Symptoms: Cranks and cranks, eventually starting. Once started runs fine.
Solution: Fuel pump replacement. The dealer had to replace it 3 times before it was fixed! The check valve fails in the fuel pump causing the gas to drain back.

User: wojo:
Whip: 03 XK8
Link/URL to thread
Symptoms: Hard start. No fuel coming out of Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Check engine light on with code p0191. Onboard test reports ":$07 EVAP SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED (GROSS LEAK) 395.8 KPA". While cranking fuel pressure slowly rises to 20 PSI, once started stays near 50 PSI, drops to 20 PSI when revved but steadies at 50 PSI afterward
Solution:Fuel pump replacement. The fuel pump housing cracked after hitting a pothole at 70 MPH.

Thanks to, all thread members that updated their threads with solutions as well as deadboy1977 and wojo for responding in PM with their solutions!

Will be adding more soon.....
2004 XK8 Crank for 30 seconds to start, runs rough for 15 seconds than smoothest out and runs fine. Fuel pressure drops at rail from 50 to 20 PSI in no time and then hard to start again.
Fuel pump, Pressure regulator or Fuel pressure sensor.? Once running and smooths out it runs fine. Replace fuel pump last year but with an aftermarket. Replaced all fuel injectors with no difference.
HELP Any ideas

Old 04-22-2023, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam sensor !

Hi,

a rough start and "takes long to start" identifies cam sensor to me.

The cam sensor identifies TDC.
If this is faulty, then the ECU of a petrol engine can compensate, but often with the mentioned consequences.

Only true for a petrol engine.

A Diesel must have a full working cam sensor, or it can not run.

ECUs only test the resistance of the Cam sensor.

But it could be that it has metall filings on its tip (it is magnetic) or that although the elecrical wiring is ok, it still has a fault so then no error light.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobes4
Fuel pressure drops at rail from 50 to 20 PSI in no time and then hard to start again.
So, fuel going somewhere, else pressure would stay up much longer.

Originally Posted by Mobes4
Fuel pump, Pressure regulator or Fuel pressure sensor.? Once running and smooths out it runs fine. Replace fuel pump last year but with an aftermarket. Replaced all fuel injectors with no difference.
Oh, I was going to suggest leaky injector(s).

I think it's returnless so if not injectors... fuel pump feels about all that's left... see what others say, though.

Or a small fuel leak somewhere? Eek!