XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screenwash jets - can they be adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts
Default Screenwash jets - can they be adjusted?

My screenwash pumps out plenty of fluid and the three silicone duckbill nozzles each have a good spray pattern:

Name:  Screenjet.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  9.3 KB

By moving the screenjet block along the wiper blade, I can either have the upward nozzle spraying the screen and the two downward nozzles spraying the bonnet or the upward nozzle spraying over the roof and the two downward nozzles spraying the screen. No position for the screenjet block gets the spray direction correct for all three nozzles.

Anyone found a way to adjust the direction of the nozzles or is the screenjet block a non-serviceable part?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

The nozzles can be moved. I use a small screwdriver to lever them around. Also there is another nozzle which looks like a small ball bearing which can be moved with a pin.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Is there a way to clean them? The one on my driver's side just dribbles fluid.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Canned air is great. Blew all sorts of brown junk out of mine

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by malbec
The nozzles can be moved. I use a small screwdriver to lever them around. Also there is another nozzle which looks like a small ball bearing which can be moved with a pin.
I hadn't noticed the fourth ball bearing nozzle on the top of the screenwash blocks because neither were putting out any water! Cleaned out and redirected with a pin, they now deliver a good spray ahead of the wiper blade.

The silicone duckbill nozzles are tougher than they look. As you advised, a small flat bladed screwdriver moved them without damage.

One additional piece of advice for those with headlamp washers fitted - wear a waterproof when cleaning and testing the wiper nozzles or the headlamp washers shoot an amazing amount of cold water down the back of your neck!

Thanks,
Graham

Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
Canned air is great. Blew all sorts of brown junk out of mine
Have you noticed how screenwash reservoirs get a brown coating on the inside after a while? This seems to break off gradually in small slivers or strips and must be the stuff you've jetted out with an air can.

Screenwash fluid doesn't prevent this and may even be the cause of it.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good tip

Al

Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

2002, how did you direct the airblast? did you disconnect the flexible hose and blow through that way or backwards through the orifice? Or both?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I hadn't noticed the fourth ball bearing nozzle on the top of the screenwash blocks because neither were putting out any water! Cleaned out and redirected with a pin, they now deliver a good spray ahead of the wiper blade.
There should be two .. one on each side of the arm pointed at the glass. But there is also a ball bearing "thing" that does not have a hole that would face parallel to the glass that seems to be perhaps a latch of some type. I hope that is correct. Otherwise that one on mine has rolled the jet into the plastic body.

The silicone duckbill nozzles are tougher than they look. As you advised, a small flat bladed screwdriver moved them without damage.
And now to the gist of the matter.

Does anyone know what is under the duckbill if they are removed? And if they are removed whether the suspected jet underneath maintains a spray or is it a straight stream.

The problem is that the duckbills aren't quite so tough. Mine is torn along the top surface. As a result the tear becomes the easiest exit path and the tear position turns it into a geyser pointed at the sky/hood depending on wiper travel.

By the way, according to the VDO patent on the duckbill, the purpose is to protect the windshield washer fluid from freezing due to evaporation. But we got along for decades without these little things so I guess we can tough it out.

From reading a page at Andy Rupert's blog, it seems the XJ40 had them mounted on the cowl cover. In the end he bought universal jets from Autozone and they seemed to fit just right. Saw them today for $11/pair. Jaguar wants $100 plus for a new arm including nozzles.

Cowl mounted nozzles are starting to look real good right now.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I just checked and seem to have 3 silver BB's on each assembly Two are close to each other and don't seem to have any hole in them. The other BB has a hole and can be moved around in its socket with a pin.

I wonder what the other 2 are for?

My headlamp washer stopped working this week. I presume it is just clogged. Is it OK to just grab the stalk when it is out and work on it? I don't want to break and small plastic gears or anything...

Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Just grabbing it is fine....... Be careful with the screen jets they are £60 each from Jaguar !!!

I have fitted some aftermarket types that don't have the rubber nozzles for a fraction of the cost to good effect

Old 12-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Those headlamp washers are snappy buggers but I got them extended by carefully pulling with a small "J" hook. Careful, you can pull the whole assembly off the headlamp housing where it is snap fit. Easy fix if you do...

Anyway they seem to be squirting fluid and I'm guessing they were just dry from disuse (I just took the car out of storage for the winter).

Each stalk has 2 "bowls" each with an insert that directs the spray. I'm missing one if the inserts, so the fluid just flies all over the hood. That's in the garage standing still, who knows what happens at 60 MPH.

I guess they work as well at their design will let them and I'm happy for that.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

The headlamp washers go off every 3rd time you use the windshield washers. There is not a way to manually activate them that I know of. Combine that with their tendency to spray the hood as you noted and they can become annoying.

I pulled the fuse on mine and wipe off the headlight lens by hand once in a while. Just a note in case you change your mind on their use.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for this thread. My driver side nozzles were just dribbling. Instead of using a small screwdriver to remove the nozzle assembly from the wiper arm, I carefully used the point of a box knife. I did use a small screwdriver to carefully work the black plastic tube up the stem of the nozzle assembly. I ran a tiny wire thru the ball bearing and duck-bill nozzles and then blew everything out with compressed air. Works like a charm now!