XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for spare XK8 keys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Source for spare XK8 keys?

I purchased my XK8 used and the seller only had one key.

I have considered myself pretty lucky for never misplacing it, but it sure would be nice to have a spare on hand.

Any good sources out there without spending a boat-load at the dealership?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The key is a 'transponder' key. It has a chip in the plastic head which has to be programmed to the vehicle. Unlike the remote fob, an owner cannot do this programming for the key.

Either the dealer or an Indy with the same level of diagnostic equipment can do it.

Graham

Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BConsult -

Having just obtained spare keys a few weeks ago myself (and spending *several* hours reading here on the subject), maybe I can make this a bit clearer.

Except for the very early cars (I'm thinking thru 1998 but not certain on that), the car and key have to be "paired". Everyone refers to "programming the key", but it is in fact the CAR module that is programmed to recognize the unique electronic serial number of each individual key (contained in the RFID "pill" in the key tip). Hence the need for cars with no existing keys to be towed to the dealership; they can easily cut the mechanical key code from the VIN number (which will open the doors) but the module must be physically accessed and reprogrammed to enable starting.

If you have them add a key for you, be sure to give them your existing key(s) as well; the programming operation apparently erases any previous key ID's.

Best -
Steve

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking around our local area for a second key or our 97 XK8 the locksmith wanted from $125-195 I decided to check the Jaguar Dealer and I got one there for only $44 hmmm, I always check the dealer prices before I venture out to know if I am getting a good deal or not, just saying

Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stevep
BConsult -

Having just obtained spare keys a few weeks ago myself (and spending *several* hours reading here on the subject), maybe I can make this a bit clearer.

Except for the very early cars (I'm thinking thru 1998 but not certain on that), the car and key have to be "paired". Everyone refers to "programming the key", but it is in fact the CAR module that is programmed to recognize the unique electronic serial number of each individual key (contained in the RFID "pill" in the key tip). Hence the need for cars with no existing keys to be towed to the dealership; they can easily cut the mechanical key code from the VIN number (which will open the doors) but the module must be physically accessed and reprogrammed to enable starting.

If you have them add a key for you, be sure to give them your existing key(s) as well; the programming operation apparently erases any previous key ID's.

Best -
Steve
I've replied using Steve's post because after extensive searching Steve has said it all. Bringing all keys is paramount when programming a key unless you enjoy contributing to your local Jaguar dealers slush fund.
Long short, loose a late model Jag key and a dealer can (if they want ) grind you into the pavement .
Transponder keys are inexpensive (dealer cost) and programming the cars computer is pretty cut and dry.
Time is money to a dealer and the dealer and his techs deserve compensation but this job really gets whored -and dealers wonder why people tend to hold them in a less than favorable light .
RB

Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by FlashGordon
I was checking around our local area for a second key or our 97 XK8 the locksmith wanted from $125-195 I decided to check the Jaguar Dealer and I got one there for only $44 hmmm, I always check the dealer prices before I venture out to know if I am getting a good deal or not, just saying

The 1997 XK8 does NOT have the KTM so no key config is required in the U.S.

1998> all Jaguars have a KTM.

bob gauff

Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

I bought a spare key for $12.99 on eBay from this seller HERE... I then found a local guy in my area who charged me $50 to cut and "program" (or whatever) the key... it works like a champ and now I sleep better at night since I now have a spare key

I got my local guys number from a "lock and key" store near me - when I called the guy said he couldn't do the key for me but gave me this guy's number. Maybe you can call around to some local "lock and key" guys in your area and get a good contact number (and if someone has the proper equipment to do the job they should know that "the programming operation apparently erases any previous key ID's" - my guy stated as such but he definitely knew what he was doing - that would be my only concern).

The following users liked this post:
Kimspitz (02-01-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 AM

First, (my '03 XK8 is not where I am at the moment) if you lock your car with the remote (I don't know if an unprogrammed but cut key will lock or unlock the car) and leave your working key hidden inside the car can the car still be locked and unlocked using the remote?
Second, if one buys a key from eBay (usually under $20.00) and has it cut but not programmed by Jaguar will that key open the trunk and doors without tripping the alarm if a working key and remote are hidden inside the car? I realize that without programming, that $20.00 eBay key isn't going to start the car but I'd just as soon lock the car with my eBay key and leave my remote and working key hidden in the car when running errands. I hate carrying extra stuff in any pocket.
I don't live in a crime infested area and seldom lock my cars unless I go into a city and frankly, who pays attention to car alarms these days anyway (even the police don't)? Pretty simple, if a thief wants a car the thief takes the car.
RB

Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by East Haddam
First, (my '03 XK8 is not where I am at the moment) if you lock your car with the remote (I don't know if an unprogrammed but cut key will lock or unlock the car) and leave your working key hidden inside the car can the car still be locked and unlocked using the remote?
Second, if one buys a key from eBay (usually under $20.00) and has it cut but not programmed by Jaguar will that key open the trunk and doors without tripping the alarm if a working key and remote are hidden inside the car? I realize that without programming, that $20.00 eBay key isn't going to start the car but I'd just as soon lock the car with my eBay key and leave my remote and working key hidden in the car when running errands. I hate carrying extra stuff in any pocket.
I don't live in a crime infested area and seldom lock my cars unless I go into a city and frankly, who pays attention to car alarms these days anyway (even the police don't)? Pretty simple, if a thief wants a car the thief takes the car.
RB
I would say yes... the guy who cut my key used a non-chip blank key as a test key to be cut and then he gave me that unprogrammed key as well and it will lock and unlock both the trunk and the door and shut the alarm off as normal.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 AM

Got to run. Off to fleaBay to buy my Mickey Mouse door key. Thanks Chris.
RB

Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 AM

Forgot. If the factory remotes battery gets depleted so as to make it not function does the remote need to be reprogrammed after a fresh battery is installed? I often see key FOBs (remotes) for sale on eBay but I'm not sure if they can be programed by an end user or if programming the remote needs to be done at my local Jaguar dealer.
RB

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

You can programme the remotes yourself, no need for the dealer.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norri
You can programme the remotes yourself, no need for the dealer.
Norri, do you have a link to the procedure?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
You can program the remotes yourself, no need for the dealer.
Thanks for the answer but you left out a part of my question.
Should the battery expire on a fully programmed and working remote will putting in a fresh battery cause the remote to lose its previous memory necessitating a re code?
In other words, when a flash light depletes its batteries the light goes out. After fresh batteries are installed the light works - just like before (no programming ). Does the remote work the same way .
RB

Old 01-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimspitz
Norri, do you have a link to the procedure?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...graming-10496/

Originally Posted by East Haddam
Thanks for the answer but you left out a part of my question.
Should the battery expire on a fully programmed and working remote will putting in a fresh battery cause the remote to lose its previous memory necessitating a re code?
In other words, when a flash light depletes its batteries the light goes out. After fresh batteries are installed the light works - just like before (no programming ). Does the remote work the same way .
RB
Easy answer, I don't know but the programming is fairly simple so it's not a big problem if it does.
Maybe someone can shed more light on this?

The following users liked this post:
Kimspitz (02-01-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Key FOB's have a small capacitor embedded on the circuit board, so there's no need to re-program it when the battery goes dead and a new battery is installed.