XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Issue

Hi all, picked up my first XKR at the weekend. Looking great and drove from London home to Glasgow without missing a beat.
1998 model.
However the next day when I went to start the car it wouldn't even turn over, just a click. Changed the battery for a brand new one. Still no change.
All the other electrics work just can't start and drive!
Have tried moving the gearlever to N, checked fuses, swapped round relays.
Any ideas?
Planning to check the starter when I can locate it..

Old 11-05-2015, 05:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Check the main junction box connections in the boot (arrowed in blue). This is my 2005 XK8 but yours will be similar:

Starting Issue-junction-box.jpg

The connections are known to corrode and/or work loose causing the symptoms you describe.

Graham

Old 11-06-2015, 03:12 AM

Great thanks Graham will give that a try tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers,

David

Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 PM

Checked the back, all clean and tight.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:15 PM

Does anyone know how best to get to the starter motor?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:18 AM

Located the starter and was able to give it a clonk. Starting fine now!
I think I've managed to jam the handbreak on though as the lever is doing nothing. Any tips on how to free off!

Old 11-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Press the button, pull it up hard, lower it slowly.
Repeat as necessary. Should work.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM

Great thanks, that's it free :-)

Old 11-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Hi David......Well at least now, we know your problem is the starter. Giving it a whack is only a temporary fix, and she will leave you stranded somewhere, when the starter dies completely.

Did your cat come with any manuals in her? If she did, I would suggest reading through them. It sounds like you may be unfamiliar with operation of certain things like the E-Brake, and possibly other things. Did your car come with a service history? If not, I would remove both cam covers, and check that the upper or secondary chain tensioners are metal, and not plastic. If they are plastic, I wouldn't even start her, until you change them out with the updated ones. If one breaks, it will cause serious, if not fatal engine damage. I was able to remove and replace my cam covers without even replacing the gasket, and my engine is dry as a bone. If you lived closer, I would give a new set to you.

The Jaguar community is very close, nonjudgemental as to the value of our cars, or which model you have. I was GIVEN a cold air intake for my 99 two weeks ago, by a guy who was going to get another XJS, and sold his XK8. I also received 2 new coils, a new ball joint, and 2 new smoked side lamps from him. I do think our cars are coming up, from the bottom of their depreciation, even though it is never a good idea to purchase any automobile for an investment, unless you come across a pristine XKE for $500. There are always exceptions. You did however purchase a car that was at the top of Jaguar's heap, when she was first sold.

The information on this board will get you through most if not all issues that may come up, and the for sale sections most of the time have plenty of parts, as well as sites like ebay. For the cars over 10 years old, the US Jaguar dealers don't support certain parts anymore, unless they are used on other current models. I would always suggest going to the dealer as a last resort, if you still want to remain in love with your cat. To put it in an easy to understand form, the dealer prices are at least 3 times the price of an equal part on the free market.

Always make sure you check your coolant level, and oil level before any journeys. Also, have your transmission fluid flushed out(not changed), and replace the filter. You have a ZF trans, or a Mercedes trans in your XKR, that Jaguar, as part of their sales campaign said was sealed for life. That meant the life of the trans, and not the owner. I also put a remote transmission cooler on my car, after my radiator started exchanging fluids, and ruining the trans. I just separated the engine cooling and transmission cooling systems, to avoid any further problems.

These cars are very particular on battery voltage. If the battery isn't good, you will begin getting faults for many things. I only touched on the things, that I have had experience with. If you can find a way to get to it, change the rear end lube also. Jaguar recommends their own transmission fluid, which in the states is around $75 a litre. Lubricants have made great strides, in the past 20 years, and there are many superior transmission fluids on the market. I personally use Castrol import transmission fluid, which costs around $20 for 5 litres here. Your automatic trans contains roughly eleven to twelve liters, and does not have a dipstick. There is one and only one method of changing your transmission fluid, and the method is revealed all over this forum. The two main week links on these cars, are the transmissions, and the chain tensioners. Other than that, they are like any other old car, as far as replacement of parts. In closing, you bought a fun LUXURY car, and not a sports car. It weighs 2 tons. More with a full tank of fuel, and chubby me sitting in it. If you want to enjoy your new cat for a long time, remember that.

I had a few.....let's say quite a few problems with mine, when I first purchased her, but she was sitting in a farmer's barn, with hay lumber, and chicken poop on her. I didn't pay much for her.

My transmission lasted the 3 hours drive home and about a week after that. That has been my biggest expense, and I installed a used trans by myself. The rest of my troubles have been she's just an old car related, restoration, and personal taste costs. I made my car a little different, but I fabricate most of my own parts, so just make her to your own taste.

Welcome to the club!!!! I imagine others will welcome you, and give you advice also......be cool......Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 11-07-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Cheers Mike,

Many thanks for the advice and the kind welcome.
New starter will be on the way!
I've a pile of history so will check through for the points raised and get on with getting it in the best possible place.
I've still to read through all the info, the handbreak wasnt on when I got it and had just left in park after I got home!

I've an MG Midget and Spitfire for small sportcar fun so this is a luxury tourer I can take kids in! Plan is to service and sort any issues over the winter (your list is perfect!)

Seems a great club, very helpful and welcoming.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Be sure and check out the "how to" section in the stickies on the main page. It will not only help with the DIY, but give you an idea of the most common issues.