30K - still under warranty
no accident
some chips - little nicks like on the mirror housing
top needs cleaning
no other options
private seller - asking for $35K

Car #2
05 XKR convertible
Mars Red (I think that's what it's called)
tan interior
no accident
20" 5-spoke wheels
no boot cover
dealer - asking for $24K

Car #3
04 XKR convertible
same color combo as above
same rims option
46K miles
dealer - asking for $26K

Car #4
04 XKR convertible - Portfolio Ed
Coronado Blue
51K miles
dealer - asking for $25K

Thoughts and comments?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

No offense but we are not car dealers/advisors here. I suggest if you do what you are doing and scout out the various sources where these are advertised (ebay, autotrader, texascarsdirect, etc.) you will quickly be able to answer your own question. But more importantly, you may want to concentrate on what these sell for in your geographic area (assuming you would prefer to buy local versus cross-country).

Doug

Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are going about it the right way, looking at a lot of XKR's and getting a feel for a comparable pricing. I would think that getting a warranty and the ability to extend it would give you quite a bit of peace of mind with a car that can be as expensive to repair as these can be. I also think that with the way that these cars have depreciated, you could also buy one with very low miles.......and still get off very cheaply. The "early miles" in a car's life are the most enjoyable as far as quality of ride, lack of annoying rattles and overall enjoyment. That's why many folks want a new car every 2 years or so. This is a Buyer's Market, so you can get a relatively new car for a third of it's original price! I would also pay attention to the little details that you personally appreciate in a car, as there are cosmetic differences among the various years. What stirs your blood and makes your breath quicken? Is it the color, (Coronado Blue is drop dead gorgeous to me!) the Interior color, Wheels, the Front Grill, or whatever? It's much more than dollars and cents, it's a very personal choice. By looking at so many, you'll be able to isolate those likes........and dislikes, and then the right choice will soon become obvious. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Brian

Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, I would go with the #!. It's still under warranty, lowest miles, and it's the last model year .... I had an '06 xk8 and it was 'bullet proof'.

I would get a PPI fram authorized dealer and factor the cost of an extended warranty into my offer...............

good luck............. and btw.... you'll love it.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

off the cuff... No.3 or 4, if by dealer, you mean a jag dealer. They'll have inspected and fixed most notable wear items. Other dealers will not. If none of them are jaguar dealers, I'd choose No. 2., but first, color preference would be the first thing I would rate them at, all other things being equal.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You should have bought an XKR Convertible in the winter time. 05's with 40k miles were selling for $22k and 06's with 40k miles were selling for $25-27k. Now ur gonna pay a 8-10k premium just because summer is approaching. Some of the cars had Select Edition remaining by the way.

Last edited by jagxkrtoofast; 04-12-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

In my humble opinion, #1, no question, for all and more reasons mentioned. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

IMHO you normally get what you pay for, so if peace-of-mind is prime, go for #1.

However, the others should be OK provided you get a warranty that covers at least all of the major components that cost serious money when they go wrong.

Inevitably as the miles mount, the car will need parts as wear-and-tear take their toll. Brake pads and discs are the classic, as they tend to need replacing even inside the Jaguar warranty period, and I dont think are covered at all, and certainly after-market warranties will be very specific on what is covered and what is not.

If it was me, I would be looking at #3 and #4, but I am in the UK where prices are different.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Thks for all the comments.

How would you go about doing inspection if the car is sold by a Jag dealer? Do you think it's overkill? My opinion is no - you can't never be too careful - unless the dealer offers at least a 3-mo bumper to bumper coverage.

Option #1 a bit too far reaching for me. Too much cash for a car since I don't plan on financing ...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
You should have bought an XKR Convertible in the winter time. 05's with 40k miles were selling for $22k and 06's with 40k miles were selling for $25-27k. Now ur gonna pay a 8-10k premium just because summer is approaching. Some of the cars had Select Edition remaining by the way.

Uhh, I don't think so. I sort of watch pricing on these cars every now and again and the prices you are quoting are about $10K below reality.

Doug

Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Uhh, I don't think so. I sort of watch pricing on these cars every now and again and the prices you are quoting are about $10K below reality.

Doug
Well when I bought my XKR Convertible I bought at the price I quoted and it came with Select Edition too. In the summer there is a 8k-10k premium on convertibles. Thats a fact. Check on galves.com and you will be surprised what these actually sell for. An 06 with 40K miles is pulling $25-26k at the auctions now. The 05's are pulling 21k-22k at the auctions. Then the dealers use KBB and Edmunds retail and markup 10K and when a buyer comes in they negotiate 4-5k off the price and think they are getting a good deal when they are not. I just happen to get a good deal well below wholesale on my XKR buying from Private Party instead. An excellent deal is 2k-3k below Edmunds Trade-In Price. If your deal isnt 2k-3k below Edmunds Trade-In Price then your not getting a good deal my friend. I learned this along time ago buying cars. Just be patient and a good deal would come. Summertime is not a good time to buy a convertible bc you will overpay. Best time to buy is in the wintertime.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Here in the UK, the AA and RAC have car inspection services for members at a fixed price, and there is a company, Warranty Direct, that sell you a warranty but insist on an inspection.

If the Jaguar dealer is not providing a warranty, what does that tell you ? Although note that it is normal for warranties to cost extra, but some dealers put it in the price, some do not. I think Jaguar main agents put it in the price, but check on that.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well when I bought my XKR Convertible I bought at the price I quoted and it came with Select Edition too. In the summer there is a 8k-10k premium on convertibles. Thats a fact. Check on galves.com and you will be surprised what these actually sell for. An 06 with 40K miles is pulling $25-26k at the auctions now. The 05's are pulling 21k-22k at the auctions. Then the dealers use KBB and Edmunds retail and markup 10K and when a buyer comes in they negotiate 4-5k off the price and think they are getting a good deal when they are not. I just happen to get a good deal well below wholesale on my XKR buying from Private Party instead. An excellent deal is 2k-3k below Edmunds Trade-In Price. If your deal isnt 2k-3k below Edmunds Trade-In Price then your not getting a good deal my friend. I learned this along time ago buying cars. Just be patient and a good deal would come. Summertime is not a good time to buy a convertible bc you will overpay. Best time to buy is in the wintertime.
You don't happen to be the same guy who was lurking around here some time back basically telling everyone that they were idiots for paying way too much for their Jaguar because they were not as smart as you when it came to working the auctions? Would that be you?

Doug

Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

^Im sorry but I dont know what you are talking about. All I do know is that if you buy a car the best deal is always 2-3k below Edmunds trade-in value. There are deals out there but you must be patient. I dont work for any auctions but you can use galves.com and it will give real world prices auction wholesale prices to the consumer. My friend told me about this site and ever since I used their guides for negotiations. To the OP if I was you I would wait and buy in the winter bc otherwise your gonna pay a premium for a convertible now. Unless money is not an issue and you want to shell out an extra 5-7k then go for it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Here's what I am talking about--a quote from someone back in 2008:

Well the thing is I dont usually keep a car more than 4 months due to depreciation. In other words I drive nice luxury cars for free bc when I sell them I walk away with a decent profit. So depreciation doesnt apply to me. But I stick with cars that have some factory warranty left on them or some extended warranty on them. Its best to be covered if something happens at least the bill wont come out of my pockets. Also it gives buyers confidence when they purchase a car from me bc it will have warranty on it. So I dont plan on buying a warranty bc the car will come with it. My main concern is if I should wait 2 more months to buy an XKR Convertible due to the economy gettin worst and winter months are the best time to buy ? From what I learned over the past 6 months these XKR Convertibles depreciated over 2K per month. To get the real price of these cars check Galves.com it requires a subscription but you will get the actual prices these cars sell at the auction. 05-06 XKR Convertibles with 35K Miles and under been selling for 21K-26K. Keep in mind these cars new were over 90K. Call that some major depreciation.

Much of this sounds eerily similar to your previous post referencing galves.com. I knew there was something that didn't quite sound legit about you. That previous guy (kyleport) ended up getting banned from the forum.

Doug

Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

^I dont get what you mean about being legit ? I dont know why your comparing me with another person post on this forum. Edmunds and Galves is nothing new they are just guides people use for negotiations.They had a story about this on the news about getting a good car deal. Dealers markups are inflated more than 20-30 percent depending on the car. With that being said wouldnt it be better to hammer the best deal you can get ? These guides are out there for consumers to use. Consumers just need to use them to their advantage. With that being said when it comes to car buying always use Edmunds and Galves as guides. If you can buy a car 2-3k below Edmunds trade-in value you got a good deal. I hope this information helps the OP. Thanks

Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

jaxkrtoofast , I have ckecked out your all messages and nothing is insulting unlike aforementioned member so you have not got a nasty behavior , you keep muted which is good .
However, I must say some of your threads been very entertaining I don't wanna call them as annoying but somewhat useless .
You may say if anyone is unhappy with your threads or posts they can ignore the messages but let's not forget your threads fill up spaces in the forums .
You're lucky too thanks to our forum member's friendliness if you posted such threads in other forums I have been a member of you would be kicked *** despite keeping muted
OK, please keep this thread in its original course if you feel discomfortable just pm me
Thanks

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

A year ago I got an 06 XKR Coupe with 35K and 20" BBS wheels with Brembo brakes and the sport suspension for $27K from Texas Cars Direct (I have bought two cars from them, both very nice). I paid another $3K for an extended warranty. The prices you are looking at seem even lower than this so they look pretty good to me. I like the lower mileage cars but the real issue is care, some low miles cars are beat up and run hard and some higher mile cars are meticulously maintained. I guess I'm saying that looking at the car is the issue. I think I'm getting a good price if I can buy a car for NADA wholesale.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

back in 2008 by a now-banned member:

Well the thing is I dont usually keep a car more than 4 months due to depreciation. In other words I drive nice luxury cars for free bc when I sell them I walk away with a decent profit. So depreciation doesnt apply to me. But I stick with cars that have some factory warranty left on them or some extended warranty on them. Its best to be covered if something happens at least the bill wont come out of my pockets. Also it gives buyers confidence when they purchase a car from me bc it will have warranty on it. So I dont plan on buying a warranty bc the car will come with it. My main concern is if I should wait 2 more months to buy an XKR Convertible due to the economy gettin worst and winter months are the best time to buy ? From what I learned over the past 6 months these XKR Convertibles depreciated over 2K per month. To get the real price of these cars check Galves.com it requires a subscription but you will get the actual prices these cars sell at the auction. 05-06 XKR Convertibles with 35K Miles and under been selling for 21K-26K. Keep in mind these cars new were over 90K. Call that some major depreciation.
I think I'll do a little investigation.