XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on plastic coolant spider mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 08:38 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Thoughts on plastic coolant spider mod?

So

I had already replaced my handy dandy plastic coolant spider / thermostat housing only about a year ago. The first one was replaced due to the top fitting that feeds the surge tank being a leaky bugger. It wasn't necessarily a picnic to replace either and it wasn't cheap. They don't make a metal replacement for the 2003-2006 model years either. So, imagine my glee as I discovered my new-ish plastic thermo housing is also leaking about 1 year later and guess where it is leaking from? Yup - the exact same spot as before at the 90 degree nipple that feeds the surge tank. Super pissed as I can't stand the plastic crap they put on modern cars but I bit the bullet the first time just to have it fixed - I have no plans on doing that again.

So has anyone tackled a mod to the housing to fix this once and for all?
The neck of that fitting looks like it would crack off if you looked at it sideways and I don't understand why they didn't make the insertion sturdier than what it is?
Ok, so my idea to try here (cause it can't be worse than replacing the whole assembly again), is to get the thermostat out and saw that nipple off altogether. MY hope is that I can find a metal 90 degree elbow that allows me to size the hole in the plastic, feed the fitting in and put a sealing nut / o-ring or some other watertight fitting on the backside to hold it in place. If I can get to the area easy enough, I am sure I can figure out something.

My question is two-fold.
Anyone have a spider laying around to see if access is good to that area with the thermostat pulled out?
And has anyone successfully done this mod for the same reasons as I am about to do it?

Seems like it would be a simple enough part to pull off on a 3D printer too in case anyone was so equipped and inclined?
Let me know thoughts on this as I plan to tackle it again here soon.

Yes - have tried sealing it up with JB weld but nothing seems to keep the fluid in once the system gets pressurized

Old 01-06-2021, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

As far as a 3D printer part is concerned. They are not air tight of the average ones unless you fill it with salt and put it in a oven and melt it together. That is a short explanation of what needs to be done.
Not being a flat area, other than the pick up, so sealing the existing hole and going somewhere else for the overflow might be the way to go. Say a metal tee in a water line (rubber).

Old 01-06-2021, 12:37 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cjd777
As far as a 3D printer part is concerned. They are not air tight of the average ones unless you fill it with salt and put it in a oven and melt it together. That is a short explanation of what needs to be done.
Not being a flat area, other than the pick up, so sealing the existing hole and going somewhere else for the overflow might be the way to go. Say a metal tee in a water line (rubber).
On the surface that makes a lot of sense and does provide for a less complicated path.
What I would consider is that the surge tank feed lives at the very top of the assembly so that it acts as overflow and also purges air from the system into the surge tank.
Unless there is a optional hose that provides this but I can't think of where that would be?
Any part, whether grown or purchased would definitely need to have some sort of pressure seal connecting the part to the spider. As in the original post, something that utilizes heat resistant o-rings on the top and bottom side of the assembly so that they could conform and seal to the plastic housing. Going to research off the shelf solutions for that part and see what I come up with

B

Old 01-06-2021, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

I replaced mine three years ago and it began leaking after six months along the mold seam. Bought a second replacement and that one is okay so far.