Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Throttle Body Pipe

As usual - need the collective wisdom and experience of forum members to try and solve a small mystery ................
I intend to renew all my coolant hoses over the winter and am in the process of putting together a shopping list of what I'll need. I have identified all of the hoses except two - which are connected to the throttle body. This is an early 1997 XK8 - NOT air assisted injection and (as far as I can see) there is no EGR stuff.
I think the hose at the back of the throttle body is part of the "octopus" hose assembly - can anyone confirm this please ?,

Throttle Body Pipe-throttle-body-hose-arrow.jpg

but I can't find any part number for the little "L" shaped hose underneath the throttle body :

Throttle Body Pipe-throttle-body-hose2.jpg

I don't have a three-way connector - there's just a metal pipe with this hose connected to it. I guess it would not be difficult to find a 90 degree hose with the correct internal diameter, but it would be nice to find the "proper" Jaguar part.
Not listed by SNG Barratt from whom I will order the rest of the hoses and seals etc., and I have drawn a total blank with a few hours of googling.
Any ideas ??
Cheers,
David.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
As usual - need the collective wisdom and experience of forum members to try and solve a small mystery ................
I intend to renew all my coolant hoses over the winter and am in the process of putting together a shopping list of what I'll need. I have identified all of the hoses except two - which are connected to the throttle body. This is an early 1997 XK8 - NOT air assisted injection and (as far as I can see) there is no EGR stuff.
I think the hose at the back of the throttle body is part of the "octopus" hose assembly - can anyone confirm this please ?,

Attachment 94954
It's not part of the octopus - it attaches to a 3-way connector that joins the octopus to one of the valley hoses. At least that's how it is on mine and it's an early 1998 car (most parts dated 1997). This pic. should make it clearer:
hoses.pdf
Part nos:
3-way connector (#6 on diagram)
To VIN (018107) NCA3944BC listed as nla
From VIN (018108) NNE3944BA

Hose (#7 on diagram)
To VIN (031302) NCA3976AA listed as nla
From VIN (031303) NNE3976CA

Remember thinking when I did mine that a simple brass T-piece would have been a better idea than these wacky 'Norma' connectors

but I can't find any part number for the little "L" shaped hose underneath the throttle body :

Attachment 94952

I don't have a three-way connector - there's just a metal pipe with this hose connected to it. I guess it would not be difficult to find a 90 degree hose with the correct internal diameter, but it would be nice to find the "proper" Jaguar part.
Not listed by SNG Barratt from whom I will order the rest of the hoses and seals etc., and I have drawn a total blank with a few hours of googling.
Any ideas ??
Cheers,
David.
JTIS shows the 'L' shaped pipe as part of the TB removal process but of course no p/n. Neither JEPC or Alldata refer to it at all (at least I can't find anything)

Good luck with the job; it's not really difficult but it takes a while as there's so much to remove, but be sitting down when you receive the cost of the octopus... Consider replacing the two rear bolts on the tstat tower with capscrews while you have the inlet manifold off. Makes for an easier job if/when the tower springs a leak.

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 09-04-2014 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Here's the Jaguar Part Catalogue extract covering Mike's info in post #2:

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body Pipe-hose.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you gentlemen - so .............. looks like the hose at the back is no longer available, and the one underneath doesn't actually exist ! I suspect that both can be replaced by fairly readily available pieces of straight and 90 degree heater hose of the correct internal diameter or keep the existing which are probably OK for another 120k miles. But ....... (and Yes, I have costed the pipes and the "only available from Jaguar yellow not green or orange coolant" at around £10.00 per litre) ...... if I'm spending a shed-load of time and money on doing a proper job, it would be good to get all new and correct parts. I have rebuilt a heater pump with new brushes which will be part of the job once I get started.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
David.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Thank you gentlemen - so .............. looks like the hose at the back is no longer available, and the one underneath doesn't actually exist !
NNE3976 looks as if it's still available although the cost varies wildly:
Jaguar COOLANT HOSE - NNE3976CA ($47.31)
JA-NNE3976CA - Heater Hose On Heater Return Pipe, Later XJ8/XK8 ($8.20)

usual disclaimers, etc.

The underneath pipe must surely be available in large quantities as nobody has been able to deplete stocks by ordering one :|

I suspect that both can be replaced by fairly readily available pieces of straight and 90 degree heater hose of the correct internal diameter or keep the existing which are probably OK for another 120k miles. But ....... (and Yes, I have costed the pipes and the "only available from Jaguar yellow not green or orange coolant" at around £10.00 per litre) ...... if I'm spending a shed-load of time and money on doing a proper job, it would be good to get all new and correct parts. I have rebuilt a heater pump with new brushes which will be part of the job once I get started.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
David.
Nah. It's pink. Only goes green/yellow/orange when mixed with (distilled) water. The same colo(u)rs we all go when we find out the price of LT71141 trans fluid.

M

Last edited by michaelh; 09-04-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member

MichaelH - I guess if I do a complete flush of the cooling system, I can replace with the pink / red / orange coolant which is readily available from pretty much everywhere and is not a "Jaguar specific" expensive option. But .......... Jaguar is VERY specific that the yellow coolant used in early XK8s /Rs should NOT be mixed with the later type and that yellow stuff is not cheap, and only available from a few suppliers.
Also - the 3976AA hose is superceded by the 3976CA hose which, from the few images I can find, would seem to be a different shape. The 3976 AA is marked as "no longer available".
Cheers,
David.

Last edited by DevonDavid; 09-05-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Default Throttle Body Pipe

Hi David,
I guess I was a tad flippant about the coolant colours. Key point is not to mix types as they can react with each other and form gooey stuff.

I bought the Jaguar fluid, which looked pink in the container (honest), but turned a yellowy-orange when mixed with water. If you're doing the full flush, there's a brilliant procedure write-up by Mr Texas Dan here:

http://matt.zenfolio.com/xk-coolant-...tat---v1-1.pdf

I took a look under the bonnet last night, and I'd be comfortable with replacing the short hose from the T-piece to the TB with a straight length. It does form a gentle 'S' shape that shouldn't cause a problem, and I suspect that the T-piece could be rotated slightly to minimise the curves.

The one on the other side however, does need to be a preformed elbow otherwise I'm sure it would kink and block.

Best,
Mike

Old 09-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks MichaelH.
Agreed about the coolant ............ I have read just about every post on the whole of the internet about the different types of coolant, but pretty much all of them refer to EITHER the "old type" blue/ green glycol based stuff, or the more recent orange / pink / yellow OAT liquid. But ...... because it's a Jaguar and therefore not straightforward, there are THREE types. Old, new, and more new. There are dire warnings about mixing new, and more new. Therefore, I am resigned to spending rather more on 6 litres of antifreeze than I would normally spend on 6 litres of half-decent Merlot .......... which ......... somehow .............. goes against my natural instincts. (Does OAT stuff contain alcohol - I am pretty sure the old glycol based stuff did ?)
Also agree about the hoses - there's a "workaround" for most problems but it is irritating when "I want an x" becomes "I want something that looks a bit like an x and will fit somewhere where it's impossible to be sure it's not leaking" :-)