XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain tensioners - Lincoln LS replacement kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Timing chain tensioners - Lincoln LS replacement kit

I'm pretty sure my tensioners need to be replaced (even though the local Jag Dealer said that the S/C engines didn't have the problem). I found this kit on eBay for a Lincoln. I like that it has all the gaskets and seals too. Has anybody tried this kit on an XKR? It has VVT seals for the N/A. Is there another equivalent seal I would need for the S/C?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/370359422392

I also found this tool kit.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/122617070870

The only other thing I need is a crank balancer puller?

I'll likely replace the supercharger belt and pulleys and water pump too. May as well deal with the whole front of the engine in one go.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I have a 2001 XJR. When I took the cam covers off I found that it had the plastic body tensioners and both of the secondary tensioners were split and needed to be replaced.
I found that the Lincoln LS lower timing cover gasket was not the same as the Jaguar gasket. The guides are different than the ones that are on your engine. Several members have used them and not had any problems that I heard of. I personally like to use the same type that came with the car.

This is my parts list. This is from a year ago so prices my have change

my parts list for 2000 XK8.

Timing chain kit: for Lincoln LS
DNJ. # TK4162 $172 @ Rockauto.
Everything fits perect except in my opinion the guides are incorrect. Some members have used the guides in the kit but I didn't like the way they fit. I got the guides separately from SnG listed below. Still cheaper than buying a Jaguar kit.

Cam cover kit: for Lincoln LS
Fel-Pro. # VS50724R. $44 @ Partsgeek.
Doesn't come with VVT seal.

VVT seals:
2- AJ8256. $5ea @ AutohausAZ

SNG Barrett for next items.
Timing cover gaskets:
AJ83699. $16
NCA2127AC. $17(Lincoln LS different)
Chain guides:
2- NCA2025AB. $23ea
2- NCA1998AB. $33ea

From RMEUROPEAN
Crankshaft seal:
AJ83698. $10.25

Total: $381.25 + any shipping charges
This is what I found that works for the best price. You can do your own research and may do better.

This from October last year so prices may be different. Search the part#'s.

You will need a timing kit

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Qwg8IHw&adurl=

In my opinion the easiest way to remove crank pulley.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1BCtNzAvIg1mdw

The timing kit you show is the one that I have and it works fine.
Good luck, Bob

Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Thanks Bob. Great information.

The links at the bottom don't work. Can you resend the crank pulley one?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

That link my have expired. Found this puller that is similar to mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xj8+...RoUCDUQgjYIzAY

Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Even if you buy the kit and get the guide and tensioner blades from the dealer you will still save money. I have several sets of the narrow guides/blades from LS kits. I buy the wider ones from Jaguar. I just use the chains/tensioners from the set and pile all the guides into a big box. The 4 tensioners alone from Jaguar are almost $300.

Cheap sets are all over the internet.

Fits 2000-2001 Lincoln LS Base Sedan 4-Door 3.9L V8 DOHC 32v Timing Chain Kit

bob

Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 PM

I've seen lots of chain/tensioner sets. I was more concerned about the seals though. There are so many different seals.
I was unaware there were different width guides. How do you tell before ordering whether they are wide or narrow?

Old 09-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Use the part #'s on my list. None of the Lincoln LS kits have the correct guides. The only kit I could find with the correct guides was at SnG Barrett. It was a Jaguar kit and was around $700. You can use motorcarman's suggestion or mine. I did a lot of searches and the list I made was the most reasonable. You can use the part #'s to see if you can find any better deals.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Excellent information. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question I have a question?

Silver_Fox,

My question is:

Why would anyone want to go on the cheap when you are dealing with such an important part of the Engine? Even the best replacement parts you can buy from Jaguar don't look all that strong to me....One little "pop" and it could be several valves and even a Piston or maybe two.....Jaguar should have their "you know what's" kicked for excepting this design in the first place....That and the single chains....

Jaguar cost me over $5,000.00 to repair my 1998 XK because of some Engineer approving the 4.0 Engine's Valve Train and Single Chain Drive

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 09-12-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Additional past History and Experience!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 AM

Of course I want quality parts. But why pay $1000 when you can get the same parts for $500? There are lots of parts on an XKR that are used on other cars and other marques. If the ad says Jaguar, the same part is 20% to 100% higher. Water pumps are a good example.

Clearly, I don't want the engine to fail (which is why the proactive repair in the first place). There are expensive and less expensive alternatives to achieve the same level of reliability.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems like most for sale online are exactly the same, except for the price. I found the full timing chain kit with tensioners and chains and guides for $149 instead of $500+. But further searching found that kit over in China, yeah that's where they're all made, and it was $60. A gasket kit is usually $40 online. My local dealer quoted 6 hours of labor to do it all for my XK8. For those that can't do this repair themselves, I suggest you find a qualified mechanic shop that's used to Jaguars, because you'll save labor costs.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Cost of the Parts is not the problem.....

Originally Posted by Silver_Fox
Of course I want quality parts. But why pay $1000 when you can get the same parts for $500? There are lots of parts on an XKR that are used on other cars and other marques. If the ad says Jaguar, the same part is 20% to 100% higher. Water pumps are a good example.

Clearly, I don't want the engine to fail (which is why the proactive repair in the first place). There are expensive and less expensive alternatives to achieve the same level of reliability.
Mr. Silver_ Fox
Personally, I really don't care where or how much you pay or did pay for the Parts.....My concern is with the Ford Engineer that approved the design to start with...The reason the 4.0 has single chains, which carried on to the 4.2 is the Engineer.....They were a little lighter than a double-chain, probably cost less than a double chain....BMW's V8 has double chains and stronger Tensioners, they seldom have Timing Chain/Tensioner problems.....I hope you get the point of my little rant.....because I'm still Mad about what happened to my little 98 Topaz Coupe back in 2000.....Right Hand Tensioner gives way at start-up destroying 4 valves and taking out 2 pistons, while breaking the Right-side Chain....I don't know what happens to Engineers when they make these mistakes....Do they fire them or do they blame someone else for the problem? I do know that in this case, they passed to cost and problem on to the consumer and today you are still paying for their mistakes.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Don't seem to get many chain/etc problems with the 4.2, unlike with the 4.0.