XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turns over and fires but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy turns over and fires but...

Hello- Ive got a 1999 xk 8 with 110k miles, shes been running strong, however recently shes been parked on a slopped drvway for a month outside (normally shes in the garage). She started up and drove about 5 miles and then parked for an hour. Went to start and she turned over and fired for a second or two and then continued to turn over fire but would not run. About an hour later she started and I got her home but she was running rough and I was hoping it was a fluke. Nope, at home an hour later she started and the she died and all the same symptoms again. Checked all fuses and chared battery and now it just turns over but does not fire. Im at an impass...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry you're having trouble.

You need to get the diagnostic codes read, and when you have those codes, post them here and we may be able to help you. Without the codes, you'll hear a hundred "possible" causes and fixes. With the codes, you'll know exactly what the problem is (usually).

If the car was driveable, you can have the codes read at your local auto parts store, usually for free. If it's not driveable, you can purchase a relatively inexpensive code reader and do it yourself. Check the FAQ section of this XK8 forum...there's a link there to the types of code readers that work for these cars.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
patriot (12-11-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . and if you do not have a check engine light (CEL) look to the fuel system as it does not effectively report issues. Could be fuel pump, clogged filter, bad gas. Find the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, its like a tire valve, and see if there is any pressure.

. . . and welcome to the forum!

The following users liked this post:
patriot (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Default 1999 XK8 turns over and fires but wont start...

Ok guys I finally got the code reader, after some twisting and contorting and awkard positioning under the dash, I mananged to find the port. The two codes that came up were : P0506 and P111,..... oh yeah, Im the guy whos 1999 XK 8 at first turned over and fired but wouldnt start and now just turns over and frustrates...any ideas on codes??

Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Originally Posted by patriot
Ok guys I finally got the code reader, after some twisting and contorting and awkard positioning under the dash, I mananged to find the port. The two codes that came up were : P0506 and P111,..... oh yeah, Im the guy whos 1999 XK 8 at first turned over and fired but wouldnt start and now just turns over and frustrates...any ideas on codes??

P0506
= idle rpm lower than expected
Possible causes:
Air Intake blockage
Accessory drive overload
Throttle valve stuck closed
Throttle assembly failure

Codes should be groups of four numbers. Is the other code P0111 or P1111?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Patriot,

I'll not have an internet connection for the next two weeks and didn't want to leave your question half answered:

P0111 = IATS range / performance
Possible Causes:
Blocked Air filter
blocked air intake leak
engine breather leak
IATS failure
IATS to ECM wiring open circuit
IATS to ECM sensing circuit short circuit to high voltage

P1111 = System checks completed
this is normal when the drive cycle has been completed since the last time codes were cleared

Hope it turns out to be an air leak and not throttle body problems.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:31 AM

I checked the fuel rail and there was no presure in the schader valve. I took air componet off and spayed some carb cleaner in and car fired up and ran a few seconds. Im not sure, but it seems like a fuel problem. Does anyone know where fuel filter is located. I have fuel tank located and I was told that fuel pump is in tank. Do I need special tools to get at fuel pump. Could it be a rely gone bad ? Do I need special tool to replace fuel filter ??

Old 12-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Fuel filter & Fuel Pump

Patriot;
The fuel filter is under the left (driver's) side of the vehicle, between the driver's door and in front of the left rear tire. There are a number of threads referencing fuel filter replacement. No special tools are required for R&R.
The fuel pump is in the tank and special fuel line disconnects are required to release the fuel lines entering and exiting the fuel tank, and are a challenge to remove because of their location ad inset.
Reverend Sam has a "how to" video of removing the tank and fuel pump.