XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

urgent windshield help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default urgent windshield help needed

I have a problem with my windshield installer and am in dire need of specific help that I can’t find in the searches I have performed. I will go into detail about the history of this problem once I get it resolved and post that wretched tale. Briefly, Bought car 2 hours away with a new windshield since it was cracked. Mirror fell off when I picked it up, assured it would be fixed. My local Jag dealership said wrong windshield was installed. I have auto headlights, auto dimming and rain sensors but windshield did not. After lots of hassle(have not been able to register it in my town yet because of this) the seller agreed to replace windshield correctly. Now heres the problem, I don’t think they are doing it right and I could really use documentation of some sort from Jaguar but I can find nothing. New windshield installed but mirror just fell off after 12 hours. I do not have a PC so I can’t download the service program but will certainly be purchasing the manual. Here are the questions I need answered:

1-the windshield came with the black area which included a circle for rain sensor but nothing mounted to the glass in that area. There is the metal tab above that area. Is this right or is there supposed to be something mounted on glass for the sensor to seat to?

2- he said the metal tab serves no purpose on my car, is that right? Sounds absurd.

He will not believe me unless I show him specifically how Jaguar intended it to be done, service manual pages would be helpful. That’s why it is so urgent. Please help-this has been a month of my life and they have me by the kahonas. Thanks

2002 Jaguar XK8- build date of May 2002

Old 03-11-2012, 01:12 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The JTIS windshield replacement procedure is too big a doc to upload to the forum. Here's a link to it on my MediaFire account:

JTIS - 2002 Windshield 76 81 40.pdf

Have you the Coupe or the Convertible? There's a few different part numbers depending on body style and spec.

Graham

Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM

thank you and sorry, it is the convertible.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM

Is their anything that talks about the mirror and how it is attached specifically? GGG that was helpful but my biggest problem is with the mirror and how it and it’s sensors are mounted.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM
GGG

There's a stack of screens depending on VIN and spec. If you can confirm whether your VIN is:

1. to 042775
2. from A24196 to A28832
3. from A28833

I should be able to find the right part number for you.

Just confirm which range it's in. Don't post your VIN on a public forum.

Graham

Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Normally you can take a good abrasive and "sand" the area where the mirror bracket would attach, then apply the cement. That gives it a sure surface to adhere to, but maybe your mirror and sensor makes this not practical??

Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by yesheadlou
Is their anything that talks about the mirror and how it is attached specifically? GGG that was helpful but my biggest problem is with the mirror and how it and it’s sensors are mounted.
JTIS has little detail on mirror removal/replacement

Check this thread for photos:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ar+view+mirror

Graham

Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM

my vin is from A28833.
He is telling me the metal tab is not used, I thought it was there for something like a bracket tab. They installed it wrong the first time so I may be missing a bracket on the mirror.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Cant really help you but can relate. I needed a new windshield, gave the vin and everything and the company still tried to install the wrong windshield. I told them before the set it on the car is wasnt correct but they still tried to put it in anyway. Thank god they didnt final set it, once they noticed the rain sensor and how the mirror wouldnt fit they realized they needed to order a different one. Someone will get it worked out for ya im sure, I know the correct windshield was $50.00 more than I was quoted and the company had to eat it since it wasnt me fault they didnt order the right one the first time.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Check out this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...51/#post480482

There are a couple of good photos that may be of use to you.

Mark

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by John Fox
...............needed a new windshield, gave the vin and everything and the company still tried to install the wrong windshield............
Not surprising mistakes are made. This is for the convertible:

XK8 & XKR 4.0 ltr Convertible - Windcreen.pdf

10 different part numbers covering the options of heated / non-heated / no rain sensor / circular rain sensor / triangular rain sensor.

Graham

Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Aftermarket or Jaguar windshield both are the same for the mirror connection the problem with the mirror falling is not uncommon. I had 3 windshields installed in my car (all aftermarket) and they were just fine, the mirror needed adjusting. See if my link helps JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource When you make adjustments to the bracket use caution it can and will snap in two if you apply excessive pressure. I hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Normally you can take a good abrasive and "sand" the area where the mirror bracket would attach, then apply the cement. That gives it a sure surface to adhere to, but maybe your mirror and sensor makes this not practical??
Do NOT sand the glass or 'foot/bracket'. The correct adhesive is anaerobic and depends on absolutely smooth surfaces in order to cure.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM

I think I have this solved, after going to another glass installer. It took a couple of try's but I was able to look at the correct glass and it all makes sense. It looks like the first windshield they put in was a plain sensor less window. In order to get it to work with the mirror they had to chisel the mount off the old glass and try to glue it to the new windshield.(fail) The second incorrect windshield had the rain sensor but not the auto lights. (fail 2) Both of these have a different mirror mounting tab than the correct one which has a mounting tab that encompasses the rain sensor and has an area for the light sensor. I think I trust the factory mounted bracket more than their autozone glued bracket.

Thanks for your help in resolving this - threes a charm!