XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valet Button Here is What I Found

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:53 PM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Valet Button Here is What I Found

Pried the VALET button out carefully. Nothing. Empty hole.
This explains my lack of Valet function. Perhaps the reason the car did not come with a green Valet key.

Any theories as to why the insides would be missing?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Gosh mines literally fallen apart what feels like every other time I took the valance panel off. As we've mentioned here many times, it can easily be reassembled in no time. But then I've seen many many folks assume it was ruined, wonder if a previous owner just junked it?

In its factory position (I moved mine to the hole closer to the steering wheel years ago) it's so easy to bang it with ones knee. Wonder if you're seeming the result of someone's frustration after they bumped into it for the 100th time?

Is anything attached to 5he end of the wire that used to hang from the back of the functioning switch?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Why remove the valet button?

A lot of people say they keep hitting the Valet button with their knee as they get in and out of the car. So maybe that’s why the PO removed it.

For me it the button was defective, and one of the causes of the infamous trunk lights not working... what a PITA saga I had trying to troubleshoot that small problem.

Still you can still get the replacement Valet switch

Old 03-26-2019, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken

In its factory position (I moved mine to the hole closer to the steering wheel years ago) it's so easy to bang it with ones knee
So the factory position is the outside hole?

What is supposed to be in the inside hole then? I thought maybe it was some kind of sensor but that
slot is empty as well except for the slotted cover.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

The inside hole was a piece of plastic that looked like a vent hole as I recall. I moved my valet inside, then at a later date use the other hole to house 4 momentary on switches (up, down, in, out) - I use them to adjust the telescoping steering wheel. Since these switches bypass the BPM, I can adjust the wheel at any speed in any gear.

John

Old 03-27-2019, 03:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I've never set foot in the United States other than for a flight transfer at Bangor, Maine so VALET PARKING fascinates and mystifies me. Do you really hand over your cars and keys to complete strangers to park them?

Every car I've had in the last thirty years has come with a VALET key which has stayed in my desk drawer until I sold the car. When the car goes in for service, I leave the MASTER key. On the rare occasions I've stayed in hotels that still understand customer service, the porter has needed to be into the luggage compartment to transfer cases to and from my room so again there has been no need for the VALET key.

The VALET BUTTON appears to cause regular issues on the XK8 either by being accidentally pressed or sticking and the most popular reported use for the GREEN key is to convert it into a MASTER key. Are these things ever used for the intended purpose?

Graham

Old 03-27-2019, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I've never set foot in the United States other than for a flight transfer at Bangor, Maine so VALET PARKING fascinates and mystifies me. Do you really hand over your cars and keys to complete strangers to park them?
The guy you hand the keys to is usually standing next to a Lambo or Bentley, so we figure "the guy with the Lambo or Bentley trusted this shifty high school drop-out, so..."

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Graham,

I have never handed my keys to a valet parking attendant. If the establishment has valet parking only and will not allow me to park my own car in their lot, I find somewhere else to park or we go somewhere else to eat....

GGG (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Graham,

I have never handed my keys to a valet parking attendant. If the establishment has valet parking only and will not allow me to park my own car in their lot, I find somewhere else to park or we go somewhere else to eat....
While I was in school I worked as a valet for an exclusive club in Indianapolis. Got to drive all those exotic cars a guy in his cash poor youthful days would normally never get access to - so it was awesome.

While I do support the valets of the USA I get why Jon is reluctant. I could tell you some stories that would horrify yet are still some of the best memories I have as a young man.

Since I have a soft spot for valets, I typically overspend and that makes sure that my car stays within eyesight of a main entrance to wherever I am going to be.

GGG (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 10:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
..... Since I have a soft spot for valets, I typically overspend and that makes sure that my car stays within eyesight of a main entrance to wherever I am going to be.
It gets even more crazy. You not only hand over the car and the keys, you also PAY them!

Some of the insurance reports on missing vehicle would make interesting reading. For those old enough to remember him, Bob Newhart must have a comedy routine about this.

Graham

Old 03-27-2019, 11:08 AM

I would like it to function because when the top is down the trunk release button will not work with VALET activated.

GGG (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Default I like the valet switch

The valet switch is not be really useful, but I like things to work on my XK8 as they should

Old 03-27-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
The valet switch is not be really useful, but I like things to work on my XK8 as they should
Agreed not really useful in that I never use valet service but it would be cool to make sure the trunk stays locked
if I leave the top down. I will look around later maybe the innards are behind the panel somewhere.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Neil - hopefully the parts are there - if not check the marketplace as dodge_boy_1 is parting out an XK8 and may still have this available.

My valet button is in use quite a bit as well since my top stays down 90% of the time and I'm like you in wanting to keep the trunk locked when I'm away from the car unless I have the house pony in the back seat - then most people don't come within 10 feet of her!!

Old 03-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
It gets even more crazy. You not only hand over the car and the keys, you also PAY them!

Some of the insurance reports on missing vehicle would make interesting reading. For those old enough to remember him, Bob Newhart must have a comedy routine about this.

Graham
Here in Florida most resorts now charge $20-$40 per day for valet service, not including the tip you definitely want to give the attendant so that your car stays well cared for. And the care/protection is proportional to the tip.

Fake valets driving off with cars does happen. Vehicles rarely go missing while under the care of a valet service. However the things that CAN happen (raced, crashed, parts removed/swapped, used as a taxi, etc.) usually go unnoticed until its too late to seek recourse.

So remember to tip your valet generously.

GGG (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Default What’s your house pony?

Skliimi,

what’s a house pony?

Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ And that is where I have an issue. If a hotel or resort does not give you the option to self park on property, then the full price to have the car valeted should be included on the bill, including a fair wage for the valet. I don't like the Idea of no self parking, but if you are going to do it, you have to make it part of the package. Same with tipping bell hops, or cleaning staff, one of the reasons I typically don't have my room cleaned except for after I've checked out, and don't choose to use bell hops.

Now, if it is the car owners decision weather to self park or have something valeted, then it is a bit different. At that point you are choosing the convince for a fee. And while, I would rarely make that choice, I understand what goes with it, and it is not just the fixed fee stated on the board.

I also may have a skewed view of this. I travel quite a bit for work, and sometimes have clients of the company I work for pay for hotel rooms directly, or at least book them, and expect a bill back. The majority of the time when this is done, they will not pay for incidentals. That means that things like both parking in general, and valet parking in particular, as well as the valet tip, are not included and something the small company I work for will have to pick up, (and since valet tips are not usually on a receipt, that would often be on me) and come off the bottom line for that job. This is also why, if given a choice, I'd prefer the Holiday Inn Express down the street, to the fancy resort on the golf course.

Anyway, done with the rant.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Skliimi,

what’s a house pony?
David - this is my house pony - aka my Great Dane Thor

The following 2 users liked this post by sklimii:
DavidYau (03-28-2019), Johnken (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John Nevets
^^^ And that is where I have an issue. If a hotel or resort does not give you the option to self park on property, then the full price to have the car valeted should be included on the bill, including a fair wage for the valet. I don't like the Idea of no self parking, but if you are going to do it, you have to make it part of the package. Same with tipping bell hops, or cleaning staff, one of the reasons I typically don't have my room cleaned except for after I've checked out, and don't choose to use bell hops.

Now, if it is the car owners decision weather to self park or have something valeted, then it is a bit different. At that point you are choosing the convince for a fee. And while, I would rarely make that choice, I understand what goes with it, and it is not just the fixed fee stated on the board.

I also may have a skewed view of this. I travel quite a bit for work, and sometimes have clients of the company I work for pay for hotel rooms directly, or at least book them, and expect a bill back. The majority of the time when this is done, they will not pay for incidentals. That means that things like both parking in general, and valet parking in particular, as well as the valet tip, are not included and something the small company I work for will have to pick up, (and since valet tips are not usually on a receipt, that would often be on me) and come off the bottom line for that job. This is also why, if given a choice, I'd prefer the Holiday Inn Express down the street, to the fancy resort on the golf course.

Anyway, done with the rant.
You would definitely not like the policies at Disney World or Universal Studios where self parking is now $25 at both the hotels and the theme parks. Free parking does not exist in those places anymore unless you shell out $600-$900 for an annual pass that includes parking.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Found these stuffed behind the facia panel where the Valet button is. A PO has clearly chopped out the VALET switch rather than try to make it work properly. Now I know why there was no green Valet key with the car.

Quick Reply: Valet Button Here is What I Found