Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value Question - Just Curious

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts
Default Value Question - Just Curious

I own a 2000 XKR Convertible. I've owned it 5 years now. Just curious on valuation. I might move into a 2007+ XKR Convertible or an Aston Martin DB9 Volante. I might not! It's been a fantastic car. All work done has been DIY but extremely documented with receipts, pieces of boxes of parts (receipts can easily be faked, ask me if my Audi had some...), and on some major jobs, photos taken.

Here's the specs:

2000 Jaguar XKR Convertible
  • Carnival Red Metallic with Cashmere Interior
  • 93k miles; only service history is during my ownership; since 67k miles
  • No modifications
  • Secondary Tensioners done about 25k miles ago (have pictures, and old tensioners to prove it!)
  • Very well maintained; no lights, no squeaks, no rattles, no clunks, no excuses.
  • About to have an extensive front suspension rebuild this coming weekend since it doesn't feel as tight as it used to; new ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, wheel bearings, shock lower bushings. All Moog and Timken. Inner and outer tie rod ends replaced with Jaguar parts 2 summers ago as a tow company made a mistake (coolant tank leaked bad; car did NOT overheat, noticed the steam before car got to operating temp) and made it right.
  • All fluids and filters are recent(excluding differential), and good quality.
  • Convertible top works good and cover is in excellent shape; but is currently in manual latch operation because of fear of blowing it, and a minor leak from a rear ram; new hoses coming soon. Complete rebuild this winter.

Here's the receipt breakdown in my time of ownership:

• Has had paint work, currently I'd rate overall paint a 7 to 8; was rear ended once at low speed, does NOT show up on carfax; had clearcoat delamination on drivers front fender. This car is daily driven in the summer, and the paint looks very nice but there are some spots that have had touch up paint on the front bumper and side mirrors, and one small chip repaired on the bonnet.
  • Repainted Double Five wheels; all minor rash repaired. Replaced all 4 wheel centers with factory new red backed growler ones (same as it had)
  • Top in very good condition; no stains, crinkles, seals are great, rear window great and defroster works
  • Interior wood perfect! Replaced all of it last year; all 3 dash panels, the shifter surround wood, the door switches and the shift knob. All off a low mileage wrecked coupe (except knob was new) with no fading and no creases or funny business in the clear
  • Seats in very nice condition; the driver's seat bolster had a small puncture that has been repaired and dyed over; you can't see it and after 4 years the dye still hasn't budged!
  • Door panels are in great shape now; the inner panels above the armrest had the sag, and have been cleaned, reglued and have held. The caps at the top had sunburn, and they've been replaced recently with excellent salvage parts.
  • Dash pad is perfect
  • Carpet is maybe a 7 out of ten; not perfect, not shabby. Has factory floor mats in serviceable condition but also maybe a 7 out of 10.
  • Headliner is clean but has a small hole in the back near the rear window (maybe 1/4 inch). The header panel under the latch and the A pillars look good, but I'm going to redo with the headliner. I was a great match by having same material.

I need to get more pictures; it's garaged but this was during a party and I thought it looked cool:

Basically; it cosmetically needs just a little, is mechanically sound, and I have a few items in process right now (convertible hydraulics rebuild, front suspension rebuild). This winter it's getting quite a bit done; suspension, top hydraulics, and a headliner.

What do you think it's worth before and after the work? I think before the work, 8k would happen, I think after maybe 10-11k? Am I realistic?

Last edited by 80sRule; 12-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

The best way to evaluate in my opinion, is to check the for sale ads across the country via the likes of "autotrader", "carsoup", "cargurus", & "ebay", etc.

Then factor in where you live and are selling the car, and then expect about 10-15% less than the average prices listed for similar condition/mileage cars.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Forget the value of your Xk8/r If yo get 14k or 9k.

If you can afford a db9 do it! I own a 2007 db9 coupe and a 2003 XKR. Totally different cars. But the db9 will be more expensive in every way! So the value of your xk means nothing compared to owning a db9. One problem with the db9, will set you back some serious $$ more then then value difference of your XK8/r.
But i think the db9 are bottomed out and you can get one of the most beautiful cars out there for reasonable money. Knowing previous owners probably lost 80k in depreciation. The db9 is not just a car. It is like art! If i could i would park it in my living room
You only live once But get it inspected and make sure it has a complete service history.

Last edited by skeena river rover; 12-30-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:01 PM

Ps Trade it in on a db9. You should get a high trade in value.

If you would sell yours i think 12k should be no problem.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

One of the best sources for actual pricing is to check the 'Sold Listings' box on the ebay XK8 page.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think $8k is about right. As far as the suspension work is concerned I personally would not invest the $$. You won't get back anywhere near what you put out. If it was obviously sloppy (or dangerous) yes do it, otherwise let the next owner do it after 25k more miles.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by skeena river rover
Forget the value of your Xk8/r If yo get 14k or 9k.

If you can afford a db9 do it! I own a 2007 db9 coupe and a 2003 XKR. Totally different cars. But the db9 will be more expensive in every way! So the value of your xk means nothing compared to owning a db9. One problem with the db9, will set you back some serious $$ more then then value difference of your XK8/r.
But i think the db9 are bottomed out and you can get one of the most beautiful cars out there for reasonable money. Knowing previous owners probably lost 80k in depreciation. The db9 is not just a car. It is like art! If i could i would park it in my living room
You only live once But get it inspected and make sure it has a complete service history.
I'm looking at cars around 50k. I can find good cars that I want in that range, it's just a matter of timing. Selling the XKR is more a matter of room; I'm selling that and 2 Audis to free up space.

I'm keeping 10k in emergency; and know parts are way more on the Astons, that said, it's really not as bad as people I know with more exotic Italians. I think the Aston is more refined looking and a little less look at me than a Red/Yellow/NeonColor Ferrari or Lamborghini. And a good sight cheaper! I like exotic cars but not the attention you get in gas stations and such.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 4zfed
I think $8k is about right. As far as the suspension work is concerned I personally would not invest the $$. You won't get back anywhere near what you put out. If it was obviously sloppy (or dangerous) yes do it, otherwise let the next owner do it after 25k more miles.
I get a massive discount at a few parts stores (still am technically an employee at a college); and the parts comes out around $250, and I already have them.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I'm looking at cars around 50k. I can find good cars that I want in that range, it's just a matter of timing. Selling the XKR is more a matter of room; I'm selling that and 2 Audis to free up space.

I'm keeping 10k in emergency; and know parts are way more on the Astons, that said, it's really not as bad as people I know with more exotic Italians. I think the Aston is more refined looking and a little less look at me than a Red/Yellow/NeonColor Ferrari or Lamborghini. And a good sight cheaper! I like exotic cars but not the attention you get in gas stations and such.
I totally agree! Ferrari or Lambo is in your face. Great track day cars but not for cruising. The Aston is timeless and beautiful. Service is not bad. It only needs a annual service or 10k (KM)
I drive 3k a year max. To be honest My XKR has been more expensive in service. I keep all my maintenance records and the jag has been more expensive then the db9. But i know if something big breaks down on the Aston it will set me back some serious money.

If you end up buying a db9 post some pics

Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a ferrari 575 in silver. Most do not recognize it, unless they have paid attention to them.

DB9 is good looking!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Just as a frame of reference, I traded in my 2005 XK8 with 93k miles on it about 2 months ago. Based on your condition description, I'd say cosmetically mine was a bit better (no offense, of course- still a beautiful car). No mechanical issues at time of trade and most service records were present. I was given an allowance of $10.5k on a newer XKR I bought. So I would guess, trade in wise, maybe aim for 8-9k. Private party maybe 10. Just my thoughts!

When you're looking for your replacement, take a look at a 2012 XKR-S.. I love mine and would be happy to answer any questions.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I have a ferrari 575 in silver. Most do not recognize it, unless they have paid attention to them.

DB9 is good looking!
I LOVE THE 575! How is maintenance? I noticed the values went way up of the car. When i was looking at them i could get a good one for 70k couple years ago. Now there 100k plus! But the maintenance/ clutch scared me a bit

Old 01-03-2016, 03:06 PM

oops, my comment on value went missing. My car is very much like yours and I suspect $9k is about right.

The 575 is easy on maintenance for a DIY. I only need to take to dealer or indie for the flush of the F1 fluid as it requires the special Ferrari only machine to do it correctly. Belts can be done at home. I have rebuilt my porsche engines and replaced all timing chains on the xk8 so I have no fear of the ferrari engine. I have the manuals and tools.

I may take it to dealer when the clutch needs replacing. I need to investigate that.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

DB9 is good looking!
I actually like the front engine V12 cars because they are so much more subtle. Front or mid engine, awesome cars either way, but I like the design language of the FE cars. I like the 575! Despite owning two Red Jaguars, I actually prefer not-red. The dark metallic red is ok in my book but I like silvers, bronze, metallic brown, BRG, dark blue metallics, etc.

One of my hard and fast requirements when I was 18 and looking at Corvettes was it can't be bright red. I bought a beautiful medium brown metallic one.

Post up some pics of the fcar!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Just as a frame of reference, I traded in my 2005 XK8 with 93k miles on it about 2 months ago. Based on your condition description, I'd say cosmetically mine was a bit better (no offense, of course- still a beautiful car). No mechanical issues at time of trade and most service records were present. I was given an allowance of $10.5k on a newer XKR I bought. So I would guess, trade in wise, maybe aim for 8-9k. Private party maybe 10. Just my thoughts!

When you're looking for your replacement, take a look at a 2012 XKR-S.. I love mine and would be happy to answer any questions.
I understand the condition! Mine is a very nice daily driver but not a flawless car by any means. I actually liked that because I use it! I'd have been more worried if it had been mint; I had a Corvette that could win shows (I didn't enter most of the time unless mandatory to attend; I don't really care for judged shows), but I was scared to take it places. When I bought it 5 years ago, a 67k mile 2000 XKR Vert for $10,600 was a steal; so all in I've probably spent $600 a year in maintenance and repairs and maybe $500 a year in depreciation; not bad!

Hmm, the -S model I hadn't really considered, even the 2007-2009 XKR is plenty fast for me. I'm sticking hard fast to at most 50k for a car though, I'm not saying that the XKR-S isn't worth it, but I want to pay cash and have a reserve. Definitely cool cars though.

I was actually going to buy a car this last spring, but my dad ended up needing substantial dental work and I spent about $20k on that (removal of 4 teeth permanent partial, two teeth extracted, and 6 dental implants). I don't regret it though, at 61, he isn't old enough to have no front teeth. I'm 28, have several nice vehicles, no debt and sacking a lot away; having any XKR isn't exactly roughing it and I know it!

I actually really like this car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XKR-X...m=272094471976

I ogled it on AutoTrader and if I had sold my A8 and A4 by now (I'm taking forever to finish repairs due to work and travel), I'd have bought it. Oh well, there will be others.

Last edited by 80sRule; 01-04-2016 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 PM

I actually like the front engine V12 cars because they are so much more subtle.

Post up some pics of the fcar!
From the dealer scroll down for nice pics
Used 2002 Ferrari 575 Maranello for sale in Naples, FL | Fort Myers

Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a ferrari 575 in silver. Most do not recognize it, unless they have paid attention to them.....

Funny you should mention that. A neighbor suggested that for the next local car show I enter my XK8 and put Ferrari badges on it and keep track of how many people notice it is not actually a Ferrari. That would be a fun experiment but unfortunately a bit too difficult to actually accomplish.

The regular folks who have seen my car recently are still in disbelief when I tell them it is worth only somewhere between $9k to $12k in today's market. (typical guess is $30K+).

Last edited by 64vette; 01-21-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=80sRule;1375473]

Jaguar XKR XKR Coupe | eBay

QUOTE]

That Passport Detector is very nice, I have the same on one of our cars and it was over $1,000 not including install (which I did myself) It is completely stealth and the laser jammers work great too (of course they are off and on "detect only" while I am in CA !)

Old 01-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=64vette;1386820]

Jaguar XKR XKR Coupe | eBay

QUOTE]

That Passport Detector is very nice, I have the same on one of our cars and it was over $1,000 not including install (which I did myself) It is completely stealth and the laser jammers work great too (of course they are off and on "detect only" while I am in CA !)
I didn't even notice that. I liked that it was a nice color combo, low mileage car for a decent price. Bethesda Maryland isn't too far from my Uncle and he knows his stuff; he also likes driving up to Michigan regularly and the price of gas, would be the delivery fee. He'd fly home military on standby.

That passport is a nice feature. The Corvette club I hang with definitely likes to drive spiritedly so it would come in handy. $1k savings is cool too.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

You are a great son, your dad is lucky to have you! Here's hoping you get the car if your dreams and a good price selling your XK!