XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW Add starting To annoy

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default VW Add starting To annoy

Supposedly I have pop ups blocked on my IPAD. Only on this sight I constantly get a Volkswagen pop up add. About every 90 second. Very annoying. Happening to anyone else?
Thanks,
2x

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I believe members who are logged in don't see those pop over type ads. That's what I empirically found at least.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Not happened to me, but those weird sponsored threads a couple of weeks ago from Mazda were annoying. They seem to have been pulled now.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Do the advertisers actually consider who is on this forum? We're Jaaag owners for crying out loud. Do you really think we would even consider a VW, Mazda, or Kia for our next purchase?

Are they expecting the following to be posted?:
"Ya know, the XKR just doesn't give me the performance I need. Whadaya think of that new Kia Rio? I hear it gets 35 mpg!"

Not gonna happen.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by heima
Do the advertisers actually consider who is on this forum? We're Jaaag owners for crying out loud. Do you really think we would even consider a VW, Mazda, or Kia for our next purchase?

"Ya know, the XKR just doesn't give me the performance I need. Whadaya think of that new Kia Rio? I hear it gets 35 mpg!"

Not gonna happen.
Ah, you own a Metro, need I say more. Quit being pretentious, a 8+ year old jag is not that special.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by randyb
Ah, you own a Metro, need I say more. Quit being pretentious, a 8+ year old jag is not that special.
So what does that make your 70 Cuda?

I once had a 68 Cougar. That was fun.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

subscribed!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by heima

Not gonna happen.
Ahhhh .. but they're waiting for that moment of indecision when the owner gets presented with a $5000 repair estimate.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

tut tut

Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ouch! If we can't be pretentious about our XKs in this little corner of the Interwebs, where can we be?

Originally Posted by plums
Ahhhh .. but they're waiting for that moment of indecision when the owner gets presented with a $5000 repair estimate.
So true!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM

Harley Davidsons aren't that special either but If I were a business man I wouldn't advertise Vespa's on a Harley enthusiast website!
It's not about pretentious, I'm not above anyone, but I will say this; my seven year old XK8 might not be expensive but it's damn special to me!
Heima, it must really hurt being called pretentious by someone who provides a spelling lesson on their posts.
2X

Last edited by 2ndxk8; 12-29-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
Harley Davidsons aren't that special either but If I were a business man I wouldn't advertise Vespa's on a Harley enthusiast website!
It ain't about pretentious, I'm not above anyone, but I will say this; my seven year old XK8 might not be expensive but it's damn special to me!
2X
I think there are three separate elements to this discussion.

One is about intrusive advertising when browsing the forum - I don't experience that on any of my devices that so can't help there but there are other threads about this kind of problem. e.g. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...-my-day-84807/

Second, Advertising that is relatively unobtrusive like the recent Mazda threads, no doubt help fund the forum we all love. A lot of us buy more than one car for a variety of reasons. The threads were viewed by many people so I don't see any harm done.

Third, our XKs are special to us. That's why we are here is it not? I think we can all agree to that.

Last edited by cadmium; 12-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

my 10 year old jag is very very special

Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine will be 15 years old this coming August and is very special ...... to me at least

Happy New Year

NikasilNik

Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing special? I smell a troll.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PJMoore
Nothing special? I smell a troll.
Didn't seem like a "troll" so much as a reflexive position to the perceived pretense in the post to which he was responding. At least that's what I got out of it, because I had a similar distaste for the general tone of the post, which suggested that Jaguar owners are above owning mere VW's.

But this comes back to a debate that we've seen on this site before, about WHY we own the cars we do.

I own a bunch of cars, and have owned a BUNCH (all-caps) over my lifetime. I cannot think of a single car that I've ever owned that made me feel 'above' someone else. Sometimes fortunate (like my T/R), but never above, or superior. I choose a car for what it says TO ME, not what it says ABOUT me.

I recognize that some choose cars for different reasons than I. But I always bristle at those who look down their noses at others because of what they (respectively) drive. Particularly when it appears that the individual may be putting-on a pretense that his many-year-old Jaguar is somehow exotic (or use the word 'special') when compared to a new VW.

Our cars are special to us, sure, but that air of superiority is embarrassing.

But this is just me. I feel the same way about guys who buy sportbikes to ride on the street, never use the sides of the tires, yet try to create the impression that they are the whole bag of chips. you know the sort: they look-around at stoplights to see who is looking at them. We call people like this "Posers". Same applies to those who buy an inexpensive "exotic" for the sole purpose of "belonging to exclusivity". Poser. (Not saying that Heima IS a poser... only that the post created that sort of reflexive response within me)

Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by McJaguar
the general tone of the post, which suggested that Jaguar owners are above owning mere VW's.

Forgot to say ......... I own a 2005 VW

Happy New Year

NikasilNik

Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Adblock Plus — for annoyance-free web surfing

I would pay for a membership or donate, but I won't tolerate ads in my browser.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Geez, I guess my humor just doesn't work in print form.

Pretentious? Taking a superior attitude?
Do I really come across that way?
I am driving a metro for goodness sake.
If I was pretentious and believed myself to be superior, why would I buy a 1.3 L econobox with manual transmission, no air conditioning, and no radio? Moreover, keep it for 13 years?

I am sorry if anyone was offended, but I think you would agree that a Jaguar is in a different group than a Mazda, than a Kia, than a VW.

Walk up to a stranger, and tell them that you just won a new _______ in a contest. Do you believe the response would be the same regardless if the blank was Jaguar, Mazda, Kia, or VW?

For me, I went from the Metro, to the Matrix, to the S Type. Each was a step up. I believed that it was the same for a lot of people. Typically, a Jag is not a first car. Maybe first new car.

Here are the cars I have owned in order:
72 Fiat 124 (used)
68 Mercury Cougar (used)
73 Honda Civic (used)
78 VW Dasher (used)
88 Honda Civic Wagon (new)
90 Subaru Legacy (used)
99 Chevy Metro Lsi (new)
96 Geo Metro (used)
95 Ford Aspire (used)
06 Toyota Matrix (used)
03 Jaguar S Type (used)
So what is the pretense of these cars?

How about these motorcycles in order:
78 AMF Roadmaster Moped (new)
72 Honda Hobbit (used)
03 Kawasaki EX250 (used)
98 Kawasaki ZX6E (used)
02 Honda CBR600F4i (used)
01 Honda CBR600F4i (used)
02 Kawasaki ZX6E (used)
03 Kawasaki Z1000 (used)
04 Kawasaki ZZR600 (used)
90 Honda VTR250 (used)
08 Yamaha Vino 50 (used)
96 Honda Pacific Coast (used)
97 Honda CBR600F3 (used)
04 Kawasaki ZZR600 (used)
06 Honda Reflex (used)
07 Yamaha C3 (used)
What is their pretense?

For me, compared to the S Type, the XK is a step up. So when 2ndxk8 complains about the VW ads in the XK sub-forum, I think: "Is a VW a step up or step down from an XK?" Others have their own opinion, but its a step down for me.

Is that important? No, but to me, seeing the ad for the Kia seems out of place. In fact, any ad for any car other than a Jag seems out of place. This is a website and forum for Jaguars. Its not for all performance cars, its not for all luxury cars, its not for all touring cars. If it was, then the ads for all different car marques would be appropriate.

I am not complaining that I am pissed off because of Mazda, Kia, and VW ads on a Jaguar forum. Because of their funding, this website and forum can exist. No, I question just what the marketing executive was thinking when he/she thought to buy the ad space. When Plums said: "Ahhhh .. but they're waiting for that moment of indecision when the owner gets presented with a $5000 repair estimate." I think he was giving them too much credit.

Additionally, I thought my remark about the Rio would be taken in jest as intended.
I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by heima; 01-03-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM

As the original poster my message was not intended to take issue with the source of the add, it was the pop up itself that was annoying me. It kept re appearing about every 90 seconds. It could have been an Aston Martin add and would have annoyed me just the same.
With that said I think Heima was called out as pretentious without cause for sharing his personal opinion on a preference for Jaguar over VW. I did not read into his post that he thought he was any better than anyone who bought/drove a VW by preference OR necessity.
Hell, I'd love to have an E Type but I can't afford one. I, like most on this forum feel that the E Type is more prestigious than an XK8. Does that make me think someone who can own one is any better than me? Not at all.
2X

Quick Reply: VW Add starting To annoy