XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to purchase an XK8...am I nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to purchase an XK8...am I nuts?

I have wanted one of these beautiful babies for over 20 years, I've driven the 1997 XK8 'vert in the past (test driven I should clarify) and when I was much younger I drove my neighbours XJ12...it was love at first drive.

Now I'm again looking at the convertible XK8. I've read these extensively and understand the '03 and new is ideal, but I am leaning toward an older model. I know if I look at the older ones I need to be cognizant of the following:

• tensioners in 2002 or older
• cylinder sleeve & timing chain guide in pre 2000
• convertible hydraulic fluid/lines in any 'vert model
• nikasil vs. steel liner motor (but if it's an older one, still running with no problems then nikasil may be better)

Is there anything else I need to be aware of? I am going to have the seller produce the records of repairs / services or it's not going to happen. I also wanted to find out if there is a warranty company that I should look into that covers the convertible top that anyone would recommend.

I live in central Ohio (Columbus area) and this car will be in the garage when not in use. Saying that, it will be the only car I drive...so yes, winter driving will happen. However, I work from my home and when I do drive it's very short distances. I didn't put anywhere near 10,000 miles on my car last year. (It's a lease, so I know.) I have found the name of an independent mechanic that works on Jags exclusively because I've read that the dealer in my area is high priced and others haven't been happy with their service. I could do minor things on the vehicle, but don't have a huge passion to tinker on the weekends.

Here's one that I'm looking at because I have determined that white exterior / tan interior is what I want:

http://www.donsitts.com/temps/detail...rchvkid=411976

So, am I nuts for wanting this car...especially a 1997 model? Any input, advice, commentary would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

-Kelsey

Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the world of Jaguar. Looks like you have met the two basic requirements of a Jaguar owner; you love the car and have done the research on the issues.

These early cars, from a financial perspective, are really best owned by hobby mechanics and having a 12 year old Jaguar as a primary vehicle is a little bit out on the edge of reason.

Is there any repair/maintenance records? Have you independent technician inspect the car thoroughly, the front suspension in particular. The $16k asking price for even a low mileage '97 is really high.

You, obviously, understand the difference in the later models. My suggestion would be to stretch into an '01/'02 and enjoy the car without worrying about it . . . at least not much. I bought an '02 with 40k miles nearly a year ago for $21k and have not any problems with it.

Sometimes, though, the heart rules and the Jaguar can inspire such times.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I agree that that price is high. 97's go for $8K - $12K, depending on condition. That is really low mileage for a 97!!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the feed back test_point and hlgeorge. I had a feeling that maybe '01-'02 were as old as I should go and really maybe trying to stretch to an '03.

I thought that price seemed pretty high for a '97, even with the low mileage. IF I can get a history report and all the major problematic components were already addressed AND they'd come down in price, that's probably the only way I could make it work logically (although logic really has nothing to do with this for me!) I haven't had it looked at yet, and the one I referenced is only 2 hours away, so I could go and look at it first hand, have it inspected, etc. Some of the others that I'm seeing on ebay.com and other online places are so far away that I would probably have to make a weekend out of it...so hopefully will show up closer to me. It doesn't sound like buying one long distance makes any sense unless I can get extensive documentation.

Do either of you know of a reputable 3rd party warranty company that would cover all components of an XK8...including the convertible, because it sounds like I should at least consider that for some piece of mind...especially if I lose my mind and get an older one!!

Thanks again,

-Kelsey

Old 05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you are right to be concerned about the items you mention, the truth is a used car from anyone can be problematic. I have a 1999 XK8 which runs like a top and has 85,000 miles. If the car has spent it's life in California, Nevada or Arizona, there is no concern with Nikasil linings. Those states were the first to require low sulfer gasoline (1994 I believe). Tensioners, no way to know if they are upgraded or not unless the service was documented by a dealer. Convertible top lines, a pain if they leak, but not something that will render the car useless and they can be readily fixed by most independant mech's. As for after market warranty, I have one on mine, but have not used it yet: It's this one, http://www.warrantyadminservices.com/purchaser.aspx

I purchased my car from here: http://www.ocpabi.com/index.asp?View...RGE&CarID=3557

They sell a great many Jags and can ship anywhere.

No I'm not part of either of those companies, just wanted to be helpful. Besides, the 2001 XK8 in the link is a sweet deal.

Good luck
Wheeble

Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Hi I just bought a 98 XK8 with 96,000 miles and was also looking to get an after market warranty.
I clicked on the link for warranty admin services and could not tell what years they cover, Wheeble, do you know off hand if they will take a 98 and if you dont mind telling us approx. how much $ did you pay for yours?
Thanks
Joyce

Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The color combination you are after was actually my favorite choice for this car and actually somewhat rare--at least when I was searching for a used one. I am in the Los Angeles area and came across a white/tan 2003 XKR with about 27,000 miles from a local private party when I started looking back in late 2007. At the time I could have bought it for about $37,000. Unfortunately, I had not yet convinced the wife (long story) so had to pass this up. It was the only white/tan I had come across in many many months of looking.

I would suggest trying to get as new a model as possible--these seem to be pretty affordable of late.

Good luck,

Doug

Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM

Kelsey, I just clicked on the link for the 97 you are looking at and the car is beautiful love the rims too,but I think it's a bit over priced! You can get a much newer one for the same price. Even though that color combo is my favorite (cuz it's just like mine) but I know for a fact you can find an 01 for that price. Good luck and keep us posted!
Joyce

Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Kelsey-

Like you, I was was in love with a convertible Jag for many years. I bought my first one (a 2001) earlier this month and have to say there is no other feeling like driving (flying ) one with the top down.

Having said that, I want to caution you to have it thoroughly checked out by a Jag mechanic prior to purchase. I did have a mechanic go over mine for 4 hours and they still missed quite a few things (they were not Jag cerified), the result being that I had to put another $1400.00 into it on the 4th day I owned it and the mechanic had it for two weeks for a job that should have taken 5 hours (according to what I have read in this forum). (Still looking for a good mechanic in my area, BTW). I am a little disappointed with this first experience in the repair world, but just looking at the car sitting in the garage dispells quite a bit and driving it certainly takes care of the rest (I've put 1,000+ miles on it in 10 driveable days ).

The point is, please be careful, especially as this will be your primary car. Also, the more I see of what other members have done or are doing in this forum, the more encouraged I am about being able to do things myself. Not to mention all the wonderful advice available.

Other than that just enjoy it, it's an experience like no other!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like you've done your homework. One additional footnote, although the ZF5HP24 is a nice transmission, you need to change the fluid on a regular basis despite Jaguar's claims and they all seem to crack a drum between 100,000 and 120,000 miles which will require a complete rebuild. It is just the design nature of these trannys although you really can't complain about an automatic giving you over 100,000 miles of service.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:00 AM

I want to thank everyone for their opinions, comments and advice. I'm going to take it all into consideration and will probably wind up taking more time to do a thorough search, increase my budget and buy the right one when it comes along.

I really was hoping to have one for this convertible season, but I think with an investment of this size and as it would be my only vehicle, patience is something I need to be mindful of.

I will continue to participate in these forums and learn more!

Thanks for everything,

-Kelsey