XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can you tell me about cylinder wash with the aj-v8 gen 1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What can you tell me about cylinder wash with the aj-v8 gen 1?

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2001 XKR Silverstone (American spec) and I have a few questions about cylinder wash. My car has been making weird noises for the first few seconds after start up. But everything goes away after it starts warming up. I was trying to think about what it could be.
1) Chain tensioners-Already upgraded to gen 3
2) Cylinder wash? What are the symptoms and how can it be avoided or fixed?
3)One of the two fuel pumps are not working.
4) Car cranks pretty slow...bad battery, even though I have it hooked up to battery tender.
5)Bad Fuel...even though I only use Shell or BP 93-octane.
6)Bad oil....I use full synthetic Valvoline 5w-30

Any ideas or inputs.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Cylinder wash occurs when you start the car and then shut it off almost immediately, as in moving it over. The starting fuel mixture is very rich, and the raw fuel left behind on the cold cylinder walls washes the oil away. The result is very low compression and the engine is unable to start until new oil is present, usually by removing the plugs and adding a little oil to the cylinders. Your car may not have nikasil liners, they stopped using it in Aug. 01.

It is more likely your problems are due to a poor electrical connection at the battery or the main fuses, or one of the bulkhead connections. A poor ground connection is also a possibility.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Mike, we need more details. What kind of sound? Post a video, maybe?
Definitely not cylinder wash, or it wouldn't start.
Until then, go through the electrical troubleshooting link in my signature. It's built for an XJR, but many parts are the same.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Cylinder aka bore wash - car cranks faster as there's low compression.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

If it is a consistent noise on every cold start, try removing the supercharger belt. It'll run fine without it, and it may help narrow down the noise.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm having similar problems, I posted a description here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-noise-54713/

recently I had the car in a jaguar dealer for wheel alignment and when they were handing it back to me the technician said:

"you surely noticed that taping sound when started cold, fades away ... the problem is your EGR pipe is cracked"

He meant the pipe which brings the exhausted gasses from the exhaust to the EGR valve.

I didn't have time to check it yet myself nor to replace it to see if the noise disappears ...

Last edited by shl1980; 08-07-2014 at 03:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JaguarXKR (08-25-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Similar Issue, 1998 XK8

Local garage recently replaced secondary tensioners. Now have Knocking noise on cold starts which then goes away after warmup. What is unique is that before it goes away, you will here a "Clank", as though something is engaging and the knocking goes away. Maybe VVT. Looked throughout forum and noticed similar issues with knocks at start up, but diverse opinions and no conclusions. I would be very interested in hearing what end result you have with yours.

The following users liked this post:
JaguarXKR (08-25-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FRE801
Local garage recently replaced secondary tensioners. Now have Knocking noise on cold starts which then goes away after warmup. What is unique is that before it goes away, you will here a "Clank", as though something is engaging and the knocking goes away. Maybe VVT. Looked throughout forum and noticed similar issues with knocks at start up, but diverse opinions and no conclusions. I would be very interested in hearing what end result you have with yours.
Does it sound like this? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-video-61236/

Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Default Video Attached of Sound

Originally Posted by avt007

Noise started when secondary tensioners were replaced by local garage. Only happens on cold starts, otherwise everything appears to be operational. I would love to know what making the "clank" sound, as though the VVT, Tensioner is engaging. You will here it on the video, maybe low oil pressure and delay? Starts fine all day, just when sitting overnight and try to start the next morning. Is this similar to your issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tnK...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds similar to me. I just live with it, myself.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by avt007
Very close to that, but not nearly as loud! My Jag guy says its either the VVT or EGR tube. He did my secondary's and said he has done them all the time since he has been a Jag mechanic for 40 years! He told me not to worry about it unless it gets worse.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It could be a VVT or EGR but it also could be your belt jumping. See the attached link.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

See if this information for Cylinder washing – Nikasil helps

Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
Very close to that, but not nearly as loud! My Jag guy says its either the VVT or EGR tube. He did my secondary's and said he has done them all the time since he has been a Jag mechanic for 40 years! He told me not to worry about it unless it gets worse.

Thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong - not really 100% sure since it is some time since I read about it, but ...

the XKR has no VVT. If I remember correctly the XK8 has it but when they evaluated it on the supercharged models the performance improvement was minimal, so the dropped it.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Right. For a Jag mechanic with 40 yrs. experience he doesn't seem to have it together.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FRE801

I think your garage installed the metal tensioners,
now the chains run a bit louder (metal on metal), thats normal.
The "clank" could be the VVT, but this noise is there after warmup too.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

The metal tensioners have a plastic shoe, so that is not the source.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

I hope they used the new short bolts when they did the job. You'd have a rattle all the time if they hadn't, I guess.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:28 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
The metal tensioners have a plastic shoe, so that is not the source.
Sorry for the false/unclear explanation (metal on metal),
but with metal tensioners the chains runs louder (whyever?)

Old 08-29-2014, 06:29 AM
Default Noise goes away when warmed up, determined to find source of cold start knock

Originally Posted by toaster
I think your garage installed the metal tensioners,
now the chains run a bit louder (metal on metal), thats normal.
The "clank" could be the VVT, but this noise is there after warmup too.
I greatly appreciate all the input! Just to clarify the noise goes away after warmup, about 5 minutes, and runs fine with no issues, including starting it up again. It only happens on cold starts, usually after sitting overnight. My plan is to approach this one step at a time. (not enough hours in a day) I am scheduled for an oil change and will be removing my oil pan. I want to see if there is any blockage in the oil sump area and if there is any debris which coud be affecting oil pressure. I will also be removing the Valve covers to inspect tensioners, and may even replace the driver's side secondary tensioner just to see if there is any difference in noise, as this is where the noise seems to be comming from when checked with Mechanics stethoscope. The "clank" sound in which I talk about and in the video appears to be something engaging, maybe VVT or possible something in secondary tensioner. My understanding the secondary tensioners utilize hydraulics (along with being spring loaded) from the oil pressure whereas primary are more fixed and lock out. I am focusing on the secondary tensioner as NO such noise was occuring prior to replacement of secondary tensioners. Nevertheless I will start with lower oil pan. Once I remove valve cover I will most likely get mechanics video scope, either rent or purchase one from harbor freight, ($80) and examine the primary tensioners and guides also. At least I won't have to remove the timing cover. (at least for now). I appreciate and welcome any additional input, and will update findings on this thread.

Doug

Quick Reply: What can you tell me about cylinder wash with the aj-v8 gen 1?