XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "What did you work on today" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by deovolente

I replaced the original plastic thermostat housing with a new cast aluminum upgrade. Also replaced the short hoses that had small leaks and the clamps on the other hoses as well.

Mine just starting leaking in the last 2 weeks. That is going to be my weekend project. I couldn't believe how cheap/available these are.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ungn
Mine just starting leaking in the last 2 weeks. That is going to be my weekend project. I couldn't believe how cheap/available these are.
just curious - where is it leaking?

Old 05-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Smile XKR - air intake - my version

Hi Guy's

after reading a lot on this topics - share how I decided to do it.

I kept the original air intake tube and box - but removed the silencers and cut a hole in the box - I consider the ridiculous original snorkel to be just to small.

share my pic.

cut off the silencer's, cut of a tip of the silencers as a hat to cover the holes, mounted the hat's with water/heat resident clue, cut a 3" hole in front of the airbox, mounted a alu intake - btw in the pic the inside clamp is missing

the front of the airbox is just after the headlight where the intake air is fairly cool

took her for a spin - worked perfect - no codes - sounds a bit more and feel's better - need to be tested more with the OBD2 diagnostic on while driving.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Salo
The tower appears to be cracked near the tower to hose fillet radii and it sprays an intermittent fine mist after the car heats up, which drains the fill tank after about 70 miles. When I get the old tower off I will take a picture of the leaking spot.

The following users liked this post:
Salo (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

had my mechanic replace some worn/missing fasteners on the rear bumper, as one side was about 1/8" lower. now it's a super high, lifted booty again.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Replaced the coil packs, and changed out the plugs. She was very thankful!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up the 2001 XK8 yesterday and today I cleaned it out and charged the battery. The adventure begins!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

My Tower was cracked at the nipple from the Fill tank. I pushed on it a couple times and it just snapped off. The whole thing required destruction to get the thermostat out for reuse. Most of my time was spend destroying the old tower trying not to damage the thermostat and three attachment bolts.

If you tackle the tower swap yourself, go ahead and loosen the intake manifold (take off the intake tube, four 10mm Throttle body bolts, twelve 10mm intake bolts and one 10mm bolt hidden under the TB... and its free to lift up in front).

With the intake manifold loose, you can easily lift up the front to get to the back two 8mm bolts of the thermostat tower, and retrieve any tools hardware you drop under the manifold. I wedged it up with a block of wood.

Attached Thumbnails The "What did you work on today" thread.-20170520_131621.jpg   The "What did you work on today" thread.-20170520_131726.jpg  

Last edited by Ungn; 05-20-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

It's the Cardinal's annual time, intalled new plugs, massive electrodes, $27:50 each, needed 8. Fine wire go for about $50:00 each, I'll think about that for a while....
Only have to reassemble the landing gear fairings, put on the engine cowlings, reinstall the seats, and we're good for another year.
Regards,

Old 05-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Default Seat control modules

The seat backs on the 2001 XK8 would not work so I checked the seat control modules and found the passenger one missing. I removed the two modules off the 1997 Jaguar and put them in the 2001, and now everything works properly.

Then I reprogrammed the windows so the now work properly when opening and closing the doors..

Next I cleaning the leather surfaces with Lexol and managed to get the seat looking better, but the steering wheel is going to take a lot more work...or something stronger.

I noticed that the steering wheel does not move to and fro, just up and down. Also, the mirror switch does not work on either side. Not sure what to do you about these two problems, but that will have to wait until another day.

Jim

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Used Back To Black to restore the hood louvers. Also used a micro crevice vacuum tool my mother had used to maintain her sewing machines (found it when cleaning out the old house when my parents moved into a retirement home) to suck oak crap out of small places in the engine compartment and to clean out the convertible top rain gutters. Darn, that micro crevice tool worked great!

Old 05-22-2017, 03:39 AM
Smile

washed, vax and machine polished her this weekend, making her ready for the coming sport car event on Saturday evening in Stockholm, Sweden.

wash & vax this weekend

Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
Continuing the LED theme I ordered 2 of these to try for the fog lights. At the price it was worth a chance.
1x Xenon White H1 3-Cell 5050 27 SMD LED Bulbs Fog Daytime Running Light 12V eBay

i probably won't have time to install and report back until Memorial weekend. I'm going to try to order bright LED bulbs to replace everything in the dash on that weekend!

Oh, and the T5 LEDs for for the small bulbs in the instrument panel arrived. A day late due me to install them.

Isn't that always the way?
Not sure when Memorial weekend is (apologies), but have you installed them yet? If so, any pics to share?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by cruisin
Today I finally got around to replacing my upper tensioners. 97K miles, and it looks like it was none too soon.

Russ
Russ,

I have been concerned about the tensioners on my 2001 VDP w/56k miles since I read of the tendency to fail.

Was it much of a job to replace the parts, did you have the tool[s] to hold the cams, where did you get the replacement parts, are you concerned for or know the condition of the lower set, are you going to pursue them?

I was quoted $5k to do the job. uck.

Thanx,

Ray

Old 05-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sharing a pic of the splitter I mounted below the Arden front spoiler - small details make all the difference

front splitter on a XKR with Arden spoiler
What did you use to create that splitter? My XK8 has a Arden spoiler but that little detail would make it look 100x better

Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Redeye
Not sure when Memorial weekend is (apologies), but have you installed them yet? If so, any pics to share?
Not yet. The US Memorial Day long weekend is the week after Victoria Day which you celebrated yesterday (is it still called Victoria Day?). So our long weekend is this coming weekend.

I have such a long list of to-do projects I just hope I get to taking the dash apart. Again!

Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 AM
Smile fixed my leather seats

fixed my leather seats this weekend using some paint, lacquer thinner and rag
see pic's before and after - cheers

seat before with cracks etc

leather set fix kit - paint, lacquer thinner, rag

seat after - nice he

Old 05-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Salo, impressive! It will be interesting to see how it lasts.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

What paint did you use? This is one of many jobs on my list.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Well, I didn't work on the Jag as planned. A cry from a friend had me putting my tablesaw back together 7+ year mothball in order to complete a project to make his wife happy.

Working in a HOT garage reassembling the saw when you aren't well to begin with took its toll yesterday.

Trying all the LEDs in the dash will have to wait until sometime in June now.

Today I'm feeling better and finished the woodworking. This may be my last project with the saw before I sell it prior to retirement and an international move.

In payment I received four cans of Gosling ginger beer. I have Kraken spiced rum and limes. I think that it is time for a Dark and Stormy!

Quick Reply: The "What did you work on today" thread.