XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "What did you work on today" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Speed sensor fault

Was getting the usual intermittent warning on the dash, so all four wheels off yet again and all 4 sensors had a good going over with at toothbrush. Just done a 10 mile jaunt and so far no codes. The fronts definately get the dirtier!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

swapped the old 10mm spacer's to 5mm instead, as it was impossible to get the wheel balanzed with universal 10 mm spacer's, now she runs stable and well balanzed on 5mm instead, as the wheel mounts proberly around the hub.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

I changed the engine oil, oil plug and oil filter ..here is a DIY clip

Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default First pass at spring interior cleaning

I just finished installing the RealGauge coolant temp mod Saturday and Sunday (following* every* step of the excellent directions would have done it on the first try). I love that I don't have to fret about overheating anymore because my octopus big coupling on the right side is leaking slightly - which I finally pinned down after months of looking.

Was so excited that I sent several hours doing a good thorough preliminary cleaning of all the leather and vinyl surfaces. Looks better than ever already!
Still need to use some sort of cleaning solution on my floor mats.

Oh - and just now ordered the Wix fuel filter.: -)

Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Looking good

Pacific Blue and Ivory

The following users liked this post:
PeterNGilbertXK8 (06-17-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Default Because I have the week off...

Fixed my recent door popping/knocking sounds thanks to the ‘How to’ thread in the sticky. #6 bolt was a quarter turn lose.

Also applied 3 coats of ivory dye to an area on the drivers seat bolster to get rid of a small worn area. Nothing noticeable now thankfully, and am really happy with the match that was supplied. Will apply a couple of leather balm coatings on top tomorrow.

PeterNGilbertXK8 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

after several months without the mistress - got her back last week and she was in dire need of cleaning - washed her, then cleaned/polished the chrome rims, took cd player out and fixed the No Disc loaded and while I was removing cd player - noticed hydraulic pump was a little low - so refilled the hydraulics.

Next will be replacing the upper shock mounts - again but this time with poly, then redoing rear suspension - shocks, lowering springs, bushings, bump stops, etc.

While I love driving the XE - I will take the XK8 over the XE any day!

Old 06-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Started changing the shock mounts today, (As always Thanks Rev Sam)
ran into a bit of a snag. I think I will gain back 1/2 or so in height with the upper Shock mounts but I didn't expect this and their lies the other 1/2 in. Guess I will get what I can finished today and wait patiently by the mail box for the other bushings.

Attached Thumbnails The "What did you work on today" thread.-20180611_113907.jpg  
Old 06-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Well finally got around to installing the T stat housing, radiator hoses and water pump. Had them in the garage for a few months and just needed to get them done.

Of course, I researched all of the items to death with the help of the forum. Thanks to everyone for your help and guidance.

Tstat housing: Not a lot of fun but, not horrible. A bent 8m combo wrench which did the trick. The rear passenger side bolt was a pain in and out. Rather than putting back the same rear bolts I took two shorter bolts off of the old Tstat housing and used them (shorter) for the re installation. Oh and the connector for the temp sensor broke taking it apart. It really more like fell apart. Was able to reinstall it using some small zip ties (it's not going anywhere)

Water pump was pretty easy. Of course I did snap one of the pulley bolts by over torquing it. They say you should change them anyway well that settled that.

Radiator hoses: All went Ok except the lower hose bottom clamp. I have a cable drive plier made for this. However, after wrestling with it for over an hour (no room) I went with a regular hose clamp and it works fine. Not to mention it was a 5 minute job.

Have to say these cars will try you patience and good nature but, in the end nothing like knowing it was done right.

Cheers!

Last edited by Shoreguy; 06-15-2018 at 09:58 AM. Reason: forgot item
Old 07-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Finally got around to doing the rear shocks. Not as bad as I expected.

Write up with lotsa pics in my working thread here.

jimmiejag (11-14-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:45 AM

After 6 years of ownership finally got an MOT with no advisories! So drove it like I stole it home and later that day gave it a damn good polish for good behaviour.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Well, after 15 years, the passenger-side headlight went out. HID/Xenon, so I was expecting the worst. After a bit of research on this forum, identified the "bulb" as type D1S. Chose to ignore the possibility of the "ballast" being faulty for now (WAY more expensive). Found a pair of German-made D1S on eBay for less then $20. Went with OEM 4300K color (a bit yellow). These are replaced through the access panel on the wheel well liner, 20 min job for both sides. Went out for a test drive afterwards, in the night of course. Way brighter than before. One of those fun jobs in the end. Cheap parts, easy to install and big positive net effect. FWIW, these bulbs definitely do "wear out", becoming less bright over time, and eventually flickering and struggling to stay lit. In retrospect, considering the cost, I should have ordered a replacement set long ago, and replaced the aging set as a maintenance. Live and learn.

The following 3 users liked this post by fmertz:
Jon89 (11-15-2018), kstevusa (11-14-2018), rothwell (11-14-2018)
Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Replaced the light bulbs in the instrument cluster this week end. The one next to the fuel gauge died a short while back, then the next one left died soon afterwards, leaving the speedometer pretty dark (I swear officer...). Ordered a set of 4 Philips 194LL (the bigger bulbs) and 4 Philips 37LL (packs of 2, but sold individually!) from the rock. Job went exactly as already described on this forum. Maybe an hour total, including cleanup, nothing special.
  • Removed the knee bolster (took advantage to spray the temp sensor by the aspirator)
  • Remove the cluster trim (2 screws at the bottom and 2 tongues on the top, weird)
  • Removed the 2 electrical connectors (with a nice lever built-in)
  • Removed 4 screws and the cluster was out.
  • Untwisted the (plastic) sockets off the back, pulled the bulbs out, pushed the new bulb in, no socket looked burned or otherwise in need of replacement)
  • Put everything back in place, turned the headlights on and light there was.
  • Fun quick cheap job with great payout.
  • Look around for these bulbs and change them all out once you are there.

zray (01-24-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Replaced the right side O2 sensor, actually pretty easy, hardest part was to get the connector back in its clip ...
Hoping the left side one will last a bit longer though.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

Two days ago I replaced transmission pan gasket and trans. connector . Both didn't leak before a highly reccomended professional transmission shop did a complete transmission drive last summer. The leaking started with the unset of sub 30 degree F weather a couple of months ago.

In hindsight I should've just had the trans. shop just change out the 18 year old / 125,000 mile old fluid and not change out the connector and plate.

it was very satisfying to have ZERO transmission fluid in the catch / drain pan under the car for a change. Using quality Mercedes parts (722.6 trans.) didn't hurt anything either.. On to the next issue.

Z

Old 02-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Did the dreaded valley hoses job this week end. Replaced a bunch of hoses and gaskets I was able to order in advance (intake gasket, and both intake manifold end seals). Not entirely fun, to say the least. Worst part is to deal with these aging wiring harnesses and the brittle/cooked plastic covering the actual wires. Close second is to deal with a bunch of coolant stagnating on top of the engine. Even had to run to the store to get the fuel line disconnect tools. This is definitely one of those jobs you NEED to do. There is no fun in it, no real payout (except, say, be able to keep driving the car). Cheap parts, and quite a bit of work, which is great DIY if you can stomach it. Glad it is behind me.

And yes, one of the hoses was in pitiful shape. Swollen, very soft, and had a pinhole leak in it, too, for good measure.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Well done. I do not look forward to this job....

Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
Did the dreaded valley hoses job this week end. Replaced a bunch of hoses and gaskets I was able to order in advance (intake gasket, and both intake manifold end seals). Not entirely fun, to say the least. Worst part is to deal with these aging wiring harnesses and the brittle/cooked plastic covering the actual wires. Close second is to deal with a bunch of coolant stagnating on top of the engine. Even had to run to the store to get the fuel line disconnect tools. This is definitely one of those jobs you NEED to do. There is no fun in it, no real payout (except, say, be able to keep driving the car). Cheap parts, and quite a bit of work, which is great DIY if you can stomach it. Glad it is behind me.

And yes, one of the hoses was in pitiful shape. Swollen, very soft, and had a pinhole leak in it, too, for good measure.
Any pics to illuminate the story?

Old 02-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
Any pics to illuminate the story?
My hands were dirty the whole time, so no. Workshop manual is not a terrible place to start...

zray (02-05-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Did the coolant tank replacement today. Not a bad job thanks to the knowledge shared on this website. About an hour being slow and careful.

Sure would be nice to have a stainless steel coolant tank to replace the plastic one once and for all. Something similar to this:
polished aluminum coolant tank polished aluminum coolant tank

Quick Reply: The "What did you work on today" thread.