XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about Polybush NVH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts
Default What do you think about Polybush NVH?

I’ve been on a cruzade to upgrade my front suspension. Among the bushes I will be changing are the lower control arm bushes. When I was speaking about this subject with my older brother, he said that he didn’t like upgrading to polybushes on an older Civic he used to have. Mind you, they are very different cars from these Jags. He decribed the ride as being too harsh. He said he could feel every bump on the road and would not upgrade a car to polybushes.

I know many have upgraded their bushings to the powerflex polyurethane bushes. The X100 being a heavy car that is well damped, I imagine polybushes might not worsen NVH as much as as my brother described it did on his Civic.

Would anyone care to give a review of them?

I have a few questions:
  1. Did the ride become any harsher?
  2. How different do they feel from the stock rubber bushes?
  3. Do you hear any noise or creaks?
  4. Do you feel any excess vibrations?
  5. Did handling improve? If so, was the improvement worth the different ride quality?
  6. When the time comes, would you install them again or would you revert to the original rubber bushes?
  7. Do you recommend upgrading to polybushes?

So far, I have only upgraded the shock mounts and the sway bar bush to urethane/polyurethane and have not noticed an increase in NVH.

Also, while on the bushings subject I noticed there are two different bushings for the lower control arms available from both SNGBarratt and Powerflex, but they look near identical.

One is MNE1360BB, the other is MNE1360CA. Whereas Poweflex lists a: Front front lower control arm bush, and a front rear lower control arm bush, but again, they look identical. Price is the same for the Powerflex. Is there a difference? Is it ok to fit the same bush on all 4 of them?

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 01-07-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Wayne (cjd777) and I replaced the upper control arm bushings in my wife's 2006 XK8 with polyurethane ones sourced from the UK in early January 2016. I paid just under $80 for the set and it took two to three weeks for them to show up in my mailbox. The car had just under 99,000 miles on it when we did that job. We also installed the Welsh poly upper shock mounts and new Bilstein shocks at the same time. The car's ride and handling improved dramatically and remains much-improved as the car now approaches 118,000 miles. My wife complained of some slight creaking for a week or so at initial take-off as the poly components settled in, but those noises all disappeared within two weeks and have never returned even in 15-degree weather (we liberally lubed all of the poly components with the correct grease during installation). I would not hesitate to install poly suspension components in your XKR....

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1with Jon. I've noticed improved handling, no noise at all within bushes life (worn ones got noisy).

FWIW : I had a sealed pack of poly bushes on the shelf from years ago. I noticed the rear stabilizer power flex bushes compressed a lot after just 1 year. Had a new stabilizer link to install, decided to replace these bushes at same time.

the height of the sealed off the shelf Energy bushes' was perfect, but the mounting hole was too small. Decided to experiment. Clamped the individual Bush with a vice grip, turned on the drill and enlarged the hole. It was easy to do.

Fits great, feels every bit as good as power flex, they still look great after many months, and I couldn't have paid more than $20 for the pack. It was a good ending.

I think you will be happy with the poly bushes.

John

giandanielxk8 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Here's the link. I remembered the name and did a quick search. Prices still same (dirt cheap), I can now attest they work just fine and hold up as long as the polyflex brand for me.

Amazon Amazon

like I said, for sandwiched applications just match the height. You can drill out the I/D (inner diameter).

John

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
dbtk44 (01-08-2019), giandanielxk8 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks! Is it because of the hefty weight of these cars that the NVH is barely affected compared to the Civic my brother talked about?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Years ago I rebushed my '79 Corvette with Polygraphite bushings. The claim was that the graphite impregnating wold avoid the squeaking inherent with plain poly bushings. Do not know if the ones today all have graphite in them or not. The bushings that I installed were the best thing I had done to the Vette. It rode like it was on rails. I would expect similar results with a Jag

giandanielxk8 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm also in the process of replacing bushings on my Xkr coupe 2000 year model, I go for poly only in the front upper shock mount, elsewhere I choose rubber/standard type of bushing. For ball joints when possible I go for a slightly bigger tap size to increase strenght.
​​​​​​
Have a Bmw 130i that now has got Powerflex Black Series bushings throughout the front end. Yes, it gives knife edge sharp feeling to the front end but also quite a bit of noise and less ride comfort. The BMW I mainly use for trackdays so I'm very happy with the result. But I wouldnt do it on a car the is mainly used on the road.

Then again, I understand that if you pick the right bushings for change to poly and leave the rest with rubber, you should come out well. Like only using poly for upper front shock mount and upper control arms as well as anti roll bars. But use rubber for the remainder. It has all been done before, always listen to the ones that already did the trail and error part

Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It largely depends on the quality of bushes.... Powerflex offer road ones that should not increase NVH but still have the benefits of poly ie: performance and longetivity, then they offer track ones which are more solid and WILL increase NVH.
Using the road bushes your ride should not feel any harsher but more direct.
Fitted correctly you shouldnt hear any noise or creaks
free delivery over here on powerflex Powerflex Bushes

Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Good to know. I’m glad everyone has had a good experience with them; that is reassuring.

Last time I ordered from Powerflex, it was for the sway bar bushes and they sent the race spec bushes instead of the road spec bushes. I’m guessing they did that for a reason?

Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mermade
It largely depends on the quality of bushes.... Powerflex offer road ones that should not increase NVH but still have the benefits of poly ie: performance and longetivity, then they offer track ones which are more solid and WILL increase NVH.
Using the road bushes your ride should not feel any harsher but more direct.
Fitted correctly you shouldnt hear any noise or creaks
free delivery over here on powerflex Powerflex Bushes
There is always a trade-off between comfort and performance, what you need to do is deciding what to achieve with the change. If you replace your rubber bushings with poly bushings you will inevitably lose ride comfort and gain control due to better maintained geometry

Old 01-14-2019, 02:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Last time I ordered from Powerflex, it was for the sway bar bushes and they sent the race spec bushes instead of the road spec bushes. I’m guessing they did that for a reason?"
Depends on what you ordered i guess.... some of the Road Purple boxes do have black bushes in them if they have decided that is the correct "shure" (spelling) rating for the application

THe road ARB bushes wont have any increased NVH

Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 PM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

I did Powerflex poly upgrades to a 2004 Mini Cooper. The squeaking in the winter drove me nuts. I would
be reluctant to use them again after that experience. But that was a light car as well.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by funracer
I did Powerflex poly upgrades to a 2004 Mini Cooper. The squeaking in the winter drove me nuts. I would
be reluctant to use them again after that experience. But that was a light car as well.

I have had them on my car for nearly a month now and I am pleased. I don’t think winter will be a problem since the seasons where I live consist of summer and slightly less summer.