XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Exactly Does Select Edition Warranty Covers ? List Of Items & Exclusions Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow What Exactly Does Select Edition Warranty Covers ? List Of Items & Exclusions Please

Like the title states what exactly does Select Edition Warranty covers ? I hear many stories on how Select Edition works where they cover certain items and how they don't cover items that needs to be covered under warranty. So therefore Im asking for an official list of the items that way when I go into the dealership I wont get ripped off. Thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  19.3 KB

Don't know if anyone will have all that info to hand, probably just a rough breakdown I'd guess.
Surely, like any insurance document you will have a policy that will explain all that to you, if you check?
I know some of it may be open to interpretation but the basic whats covered and whats not will be there

Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are at least two kinds of "Select" Policies. Mine is "exclusionary" - which they define as covering everything EXCEPT what is specificaly excluded. The list is not long. The entire policy is only 5 pages long. I could scan it into a pdf and post - or fax it to someone. DaleD

Old 02-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

Well it doesnt say too much of anything on those links posted. I need an actual list of what is and what is not covered.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I mean no disrespect but we are trying to help. Your best bet is to read your policy, call them or get a lawyer. Not sure we have what you are looking for.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Select Edition doesnt give us a list of parts thats covered and parts thats not covered. Thats where the confusion is. The consumer needs to know what is and whats not. That way they dont have to go into the dealership and waste time and pay diagnostic fees just to find out its not covered. This is ridiculous.The links that was provided doesnt provide any information in regards to the parts thats covered. I need to know. Thanks

Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

well can you diagnose your car? cause I dont know whats wrong with a car until I look at it and diagnose it. And I dont know about you, but when I work I like to get paid, dont you? the list we use at work is 1/4" thick. and does not list individual parts always, nor as I told you in another post does it cover certain things depending on wording etc. And all repairs over I think currently $2000 must be approved first. Im currently fighting with select to cover a broken control arm bushing that is not servicable and the arm must be replaced. Along with a leaking steering rack $2300 (the customer was not even aware of)I have already sent selects OWN documentation stating they would cover a bushing in this situation but theyre asking for alot more info from us, and not wanting to pay for the control arm. all because we're trying to save the customer from having to pay the $950 replacement cost if not covered....By US, I meen my service advisor and I, you know the ones at the dealer that are always trying to rip off customers......

Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I enquired about an after-market, (non-Jaguar) warranty here in the UK for a 2003 XJ Series. I had a choice of basic or enhanced, and there was a very long list of parts and assemblies that were covered in both. As Brutal says, the trouble is you have to pay for a "consultation" to decide what the problem is, and labour charges are not cheap. What should really happen is if the part is warranted the inspection charges should be subsumed into the warranty charges, if not covered, you would pay for the inspection, and then decide what to do. Unless the warranty does not cover labour, of course, but surely Jaguar Select warranties are for peace, not turmoil, of mind !!

My philosphy for buying a used car is it is not going to be perfect, but I want the major parts covered if possible; I'll pay for the minor stuff. For instance there is wear-and-tear, and what this means; always a controversial subject.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

They do not pay for diagnostics. Eg..... Inspections

Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Maybe we expect too much from secondhand cars, and the warranties. Most warranties for new cars are for three years, some for many more, so if the new car warranty is expired we are dealing with cars at least 3 years old, probably 4 or 5. An awful lot can happen in that period and the previous owners may not have treated the car too well.

For me my current Rover 75 2.5 V6 Auto I bought 3 years ago, then being 5 years old & 43k miles, cost me £4500, plus £400 for a 12 month warranty. I never had to use the warranty, and car has served me well. I think I have been lucky when I read forums like this, or maybe I'm just a careful driver !

Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
There are at least two kinds of "Select" Policies. Mine is "exclusionary" - which they define as covering everything EXCEPT what is specificaly excluded. The list is not long. The entire policy is only 5 pages long. I could scan it into a pdf and post - or fax it to someone. DaleD
I know this thread is old, and the OP may have gotten his initial questions answered, but here goes:
I recently purchased a 2007 XKR and was able to get the Exclusionary Warranty transferred to me. The form I received had approx. 3 pages of what is covered and about 3/4 page of items that were not covered. Since I'm driving this relatively few miles per year, this waranty will not expire until June 2015. I'm happy with it so far, and am somewhat surprised as to some of the items it does cover, for example, wheel repairs, (straightening) due to road hazards! who'd a thought?? I have 20" Sentas and they are very prone to damage due to potholes, etc.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the Jaguar select edition warranty on my 2005 XKR Coupe when I purchased it 4.5 years ago and it was great. In support of the points that Brutal was trying to make, the service team at the dealerships have to diagnose the problem and negotiate with Jaguar to get the work covered and approved. I worked with my dealer's service team and they got a ton of work done for me and it didn't cost a penny. However, I treated the service managers and techs like the professionals they are and they would go to the carpet for me every time. In fact, when I would bring my car in for a particular problem the service team would give it an additional going over and occasionally find another item that needed fixing and got the worked covered under the Select Edition Warranty. However, I have found that not everyone gets the same treatment. If the work was going to to be a big ticket item ($1000 +) I made sure that a couple of $50 dollar bills landed, politely, in the right hands.