XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we worried about.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What are we worried about.

I fond it interesting that on any one day we see between 3-5 problems related to the Tranny, Hydraulic top, Chain tensioners, or Cooling systems. In reading all of these it struck me that at any one time over 500 people are logged on looking at this. It's obvious that owning an X100 is not like owning a Miata. Having said that these cars are so much more reliable than even the early 90s XJS. I hope no one out there isn't driving their car for fear of a failure. Just sayin...

Old 03-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Very often it's someone who's just made a purchase and is working out the bugs.. So a lot of repeated threads from new guys. Many people that have had them a few years have fixed most issues and are driving happily along. I've been following the forum for 3 years and this is the trend, not to say a occasional question from a experienced member won't post or ask a good question but this appears to be the trend. These cars aren't new and there are many / most questions already answered if you know how to look..

Old 03-23-2016, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

My first Jag in 09 when I knew nothing of these cars I drove it WITH FEAR, ha ha ha.
Now I drive it just knowing even with all the sore points fixed, it will just do something stupid at some point. Ha ha ha

Old 03-23-2016, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

While I enjoy some DIY tasks, I must admit that I get tired of the amount of time and effort (and sometimes money) I have to spend on our two Jaguars to keep them in proper shape compared to the 25 or so other vehicles I have owned during my 46+ years of driving. Still, they remain gorgeous cars that I was able to purchase for "Honda money" due to the unwavering massive depreciation during their first three years. All things considered, I know I have to take the good with the bad if we are going to keep these Jaguars long-term....

Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading a forum such as this is much like reading the news..... Generally all you hear about is the bad news which is much the intent. Here is what's wrong, please help me fix it.

The Boxster and 911 forum are so awash in so many IMS tails of horror you would think there would be none left on the road. Everyone thinks Jaguars are terribly unreliable yet my 2005 XJ VDP did 155K with only a single failure, my 96 VDP hit 209K with little trouble and I even managed to keep a 86 XJ6 reliable without too much issue. The Miata forum is full of horror stories that he early engines without forged internals will blow up any minute. Heck, reading the Ford Explorer forum makes you think every 4.6l engine produced will crater unexpectedly yet my son's made 237K before locking up due to a chain tensioner failure.

Jaguar's are certainly higher maintenance than a Honda Civic but then again your not stuck in a civic and let's face it these cars are getting a little long in the tooth.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Very often it's someone who's just made a purchase and is working out the bugs.. So a lot of repeated threads from new guys. Many people that have had them a few years have fixed most issues and are driving happily along. I've been following the forum for 3 years and this is the trend, not to say a occasional question from a experienced member won't post or ask a good question but this appears to be the trend. These cars aren't new and there are many / most questions already answered if you know how to look..
Agreed

I am new to the XK8 but have been a member of the forum with my XJ6 for a couple of years. As mentioned, I am learning the specific bugs in this particular car and have already fixed a number of things on it without needing to ask any questions.

One thing that is frustrating is that people sometimes don't name their threads in a way that can point us to specific research and repair. As an example writing "HELP" as the subject heading makes it more difficult to get search results. I have been guilty of it too.

Once I have worked out all the major kinks and have a better understanding of my XK8, I plan on driving the **** out of it lol

Old 03-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Naming threads correctly on a auto forum especially makes sense!!!!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

One other thing may be people pulling cars from winter storage. I know mine had a few issues crop up this year, but the previous 5 winters had no issues.