XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's She Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's She Worth?

First off, I love my Jag and I really don't want to sell it. As far as cars go, its the nicest I've ever, and probably will ever own. On the other hand, I'm recently married, in the market for buying a house, and frankly just have too many toys at the moment.

After reading posts about how some on the board have travelled and searched to find just the right car, I'd like to try and get an idea of what the market value might be for this car. The car is a 2003 XK8 convertible and is about as new as you can get, it currently only has 7700 miles. The car's got a clean title and never been wrecked or abused. I've spent the last few months fixing little issues and now everything on the car is working 100%. I'm the second owner and when I got the car it was bone stock, since then I've added BBS Detroit Wheels, HIDs, and tinted the windows. I also still have everything to let me put it back to stock.

According to Kelly Blue Book the value is about 25K, according to my credit union its around 27K. I know the car's only worth as much as someone's willing to pay and I'm skeptical because I've yet to see a 2003 XK go for that much, let alone one thats not an R. On the otherhand I've never seen one thats as "new" as mine with that kind of mileage up for sale. This forum knows these cars better than anyone and I'd like to know what you think it might be worth, please let me know your thoughts.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Awe, I hate to see you have to get rid of her -- the jag I mean. But if its one or the other you might need to reconsider

Anyway, yeah, I think that's pretty high for that year. The super low mileage would be a big help though. My brother bought an '01 2 years ago for somewhere around 20K, which two years later with a 2 year newer car I would say somewhere in that area. More good news for you is that these cars are becoming harder to find due to the great value of these cars in the price vs. sweet *** ride you get factor. A couple of dealers I have talked to said they would love to get their hands on as many as they could because they are selling well due to this.

On a side note, you may not get your money out of the Detroit's on the car. It may be a selling factor because they look sweet, but if it doesn't matter, you may end up getting more selling the car with original wheels and selling the detroit's separate.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started looking for an 03-06 XK8 and yesterday afternoon I test drove an 06 with 40K miles and the seller was asking $24K. Everything worked perfectly and the car was in great shape and only needed to be detailed.
The reason I'm looking for a 2006 is I can finance that for 60 months with my credit union, anything older and it's only 36 months.

Send me some pictures and I might be interested depending on the price. good luck either way. Congrats on being a newlywed and good luck on house hunting. Home prices still have downward pressure so be sure to buy right, i.e. don't let your bride fall in love with any house she looks at!

FWIW, I was relocated from Herndon / Stone Ridge 5 years ago to Dallas and still get back there 4X a year.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Those numbers sound quite high to me. I got my 03 XK Coupe in '08 for $20K with 75K miles. I was looking to purchase a car that had been a daily driver with the thought that the maintenance would have been kept up and anything major defect that was going to fail would have happened during the warranty period. The other thing as with all cars, seals, gaskets and metalic spaces that hold humidity don't do well without regular use.
If you find a buyer who is set on exactly your cars color and values the wheels, upgrades etc... you might get $21- $23K for it but that could take awhile (also not the best time of year to be selling a convertible sports car). I think for a quick sale, price it at $19K or $20K. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Summer time = great time to sell a convertible
Winter time = perfect time to buy a convertible
Coupe prices do not fluctuate as much, but the XK8/R coupes do tend to be lower in the winter.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

One BIG thing you all are forgetting to factor in, THE ECONOMY, not too many folks are plopping down extra cash for big ticket items these days I think. This type of car is not a MUST HAVE right now for most I think. I think it is a buyers market right now. I see several folks on my local Clist trying to sell these cars and they are not moving them. Constantly reposting them. I knowif I were buying I would low ball them with in reason. Most are selling cause they need to get out from under them for one reason or another.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM

I've been watching lots on eBay with buy it now at $40K or more (the 07 XK's) and most are only getting bids to $20K if that. I was thinking about an 06 but maybe by Christmas or Jan/Feb they might be in the mid $30's? It's probably better to wait till then as a buyer than trying to get a convertable now, like H2Oboy said.
I should probably stop looking at these for awhile and come back in November and see what's up then...

Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Veteran member

Never hurts to put in some good research. Start a spreadsheet and keep track of vehicles, pertinent data, selling price, etc. You'll know exactly what you should expect when you do find the perfect time. Ok, that's what I would do, maybe you just go by 'your gut'. I'd have a pie chart. LOL

Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Ah ... spreadsheet .... reminds me about the days when I was looking. I had a spreadsheet that has a portion for sensitivity analysis, taking into acct interest rates, loan period, down payment and even travel expense .....

It's a pretty rough model - but accurate enough for me. I can try dig that out from my file archive if you like ....

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

sensitivity analysis? wow, now that's detailed!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Funny you should mention spreadsheet, thats exactly what I did when I bought my 300C SRT8 and again when I bought my LS430. Guess I'll be pulling that out again.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that sort of thing, that sensitivity analysis takes it to a whole new level, let me know if you locate it.

My brother is close friends with the owner of an auto store in PA who buys cars at auction around the country (supposedly 100 per month) and he is going to let me know what the 07 XK convertables are going for. I'm still thinking to wait till January 2011 and begin looking seriously. My wife said she feels abandoned for the past 2 weeks as all my spare time is sitting in the study on the computer.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes45
My brother is close friends with the owner of an auto store in PA who buys cars at auction around the country (supposedly 100 per month) and he is going to let me know what the 07 XK convertables are going for.
Car dealers have access to some very interesting info. When I was looking for my Jag I was actually considering buying a Porsche 911, and if I had bought it I would have traded my Expedition. The dealer I was negotiating with pulled up a website that showed the price that stuff was selling for at the auction houses. He just typed in "2004 Expedition" and it filtered and showed every 2004 Expedition that had been sold at auction recently (literally page after page of them). That's what he was using to calculate what he could offer for the trade.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 PM

That's interesting, probably much more sophisticated software than looking at the sold listings on eBay which is about all I can do now.