XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When a princess is a pig

Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default When a princess is a pig

So I am always looking for Jaguars for sale in and around AZ, especially now that I opened the used car business (this is NOT a solicitation). I own a 2000 XKR I bought with just over 100K on her and now has 111K but she is tight as a lower mile one and is in (used car dealer speak) good condition.

Anyway, there has been a 01 XKR convert, black/tan interior for sale here for a couple weeks. Originally priced at KBB dealer retail then every couple days its dropped a few hundred. So last week I talk to him about his 114K mile car, priced now at $10,500.

I love the story and the pictures. Family car since new, father gave it to him but he really wants a Vette. Did all the engine service work (tensioners, waterpump, thermo housing, new throttle body) but has NO receipts. Asked if he had all the books and keys and was told yes. Asked if there was anything wrong and he tells me the ABS light is on but the brakes are fine.

Well I get busy, forget about the car and then friday he texts me and says he needs to sell it so I can have it for $9500. Cheap right ? Stay with me now there is a point to this.

I texted him back said I might be interested (for the dealership not for me I have mine) and I would contact him. Again, just too busy over the weekend and didnt contact him till Monday at lunch which I then texted him if he bought it by my office I would look at it and see if we can work something out. So in 2 weeks time he went from 12,5 to 9500, makes ya wonder doesnt it.

Monday afternoon he brings it by, beautiful (as they are) car, gleaming black metallic paint, perfect black cloth top, chrome wheels with NO road rash. Im thinking nice car, shes a princess...... until I opened the door. Drivers seat, door panel, steering wheel leather are all cracked so bad its amazing its still in held together at all. I go to sit in the car and the power seat doesnt work (claims it just broke over the weekend), power tilt steering wheel doesnt work. Im a 5'11, 265# guy, this makes getting in and out tough to say the least.

While sitting in the car I notice the 3 gauges arent working (says its a fuse) but the AC blows ice cold and the radio works. Then I try the roof and it wont open without my pushing up on it while holding the button.

I then ask if we can drive around the block which he is fine with, then says, oh its pulls to the left a little because the tire is low on air. Let me sum this up by saying I was actually scared driving this car... it needs EVERYTHING suspension wise. It rattled, shook, bounced, floated and was just a mess. There is a point to all this so stay with me.

While out on an open road he says, punch it, its got "*****". So on an open straight I did.... and it was a DOG! It went but nowhere near as much power as mine. So when I get back I garner a look at the engine and visually you can see some of the things where done at some point. Even the bracket that holds the dip stick was angle cut to remove it to get the valve cover off so at least the tensioners were checked I would think.

Anyway... he then shows me the title, signed by a clearly mexican female person. He on the other hand is a muscular very black man. I said, this isnt your mother is it. He said no, I said why did you tell me it was your parents car. He said, oh, I dont know. I said I ran the vin and its had 5 owners not 2. You said it was a AZ car its whole life but it was from the east coast and only been here 5 years. He didnt say a word at which point I said I wouldnt be interested (though showed him I had $9500 cash on me) at which point he says, Ill take $8500 for it right now. I then again asked if he had the books, other keys and such which he says no too. I told him thanks and good luck and while walking away he asks if I would pay 8K and I told him no again.

The point of this long drawn out post is this is a perfect case of a beautiful (princess) car that was a mess (pig) under the surface. Im sooooooo happy with mine, same miles as this 01 and mine is like new compared to his. That was one road hard put away wet Jaguar. If your in the PHX area and see it on Craigslist for $8000 (newly listed price) BEWARE YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by John Fox:
2002XK8Orlando (06-27-2012), Norri (06-27-2012), The Coupe (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Interesting and very true. There are those cars that look great from a distance but the closer you get the more problems you see. Back in 2008 when I was putting my 1995 Corvette up for sale I took the time to stop when I saw similar cars on dealers' lots. My Corvette was in pretty much pristine condition outside, inside, and mechanically. What I noticed though was that many similar vintage ones at used car lots looked just as good as mine (externally) from about 10 feet away. Moving closer though I would typically find the telltale signs of deferred maintenance--weatherstripping coming apart, body panels not quite lining up, worn paint, etc. and it usually got worse upon opening the door or the hood.

I guess it is easy to get a beautiful looking car to look decent on the outside but you really find out much more by looking in the interior and under the hood.

Doug

Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't think I would've showed him the $9500 in cash---sounds like a possible bad situation. Glad to hear nothing happen to you.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

I think it was safe, he probably didn't think he could get away in the car.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

It's Arizona, no permit to carry open or concealed needed

John that sounds like a complete dog. The market is getting really soft for these cars - just look at MMR, I would have paid the 9500 if it was pristine, would have walked away at opening the door. I have a steady supply of clean older Jags at the right price if you're interested. Although shipping may kill us. PM me.

Oh and for the Record - there's nothing wrong with an East Coast car as long as it's taken care of.

Us east coast v/s west coast guys always have this debate. The interior damage you describe is typical of a west coast car. The sun and dry air just destroys the interiors, and all rubber / plastic. The west coast guys go into convulsions at the first sign of rust even on the undercarriage. Pick your poison. Each climate has negative affects on the car.

I had an 2008 a M3 a guy transported from NJ to California, and then tried to arbitrate for get this - "rust on the exhaust bolts" and Manheim Riverside actually considered this.

Take care,

George

Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Oh and for the Record - there's nothing wrong with an East Coast car as long as it's taken care of.

Us east coast v/s west coast guys always have this debate. The interior damage you describe is typical of a west coast car. The sun and dry air just destroys the interiors, and all rubber / plastic. The west coast guys go into convulsions at the first sign of rust even on the undercarriage. Pick your poison. Each climate has negative affects on the car.

Still I would go out of my way to buy a California car versus any other. Nice cars here are usually babied by their owners and, with minimal care, can be almost as good as new even 15 years later. When I had the Corvette for sale I had a guy call me from Alberta Canada who was doing a tour of California to pick up used Corvettes.

The one time I bought a car that had been from the east was back around 1994 when I was looking for a car for my son who had just got his license. A local broker/reseller had gotten a 1987 Honda Accord Coupe that looked pretty good and was relatively low mileage. It had come from Michigan and generally looked pretty good so I bought it in spite of the corrosion we found in many areas (fuel filler pipe, many of the parts and pieces in the engine compartment, etc.). Some time later we found rust and corrosion on the A-pillar (paint started bubbling to reveal the rust, below).

Doug

Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Still I would go out of my way to buy a California car versus any other. Nice cars here are usually babied by their owners and, with minimal care, can be almost as good as new even 15 years later. When I had the Corvette for sale I had a guy call me from Alberta Canada who was doing a tour of California to pick up used Corvettes.

The one time I bought a car that had been from the east was back around 1994 when I was looking for a car for my son who had just got his license. A local broker/reseller had gotten a 1987 Honda Accord Coupe that looked pretty good and was relatively low mileage. It had come from Michigan and generally looked pretty good so I bought it in spite of the corrosion we found in many areas (fuel filler pipe, many of the parts and pieces in the engine compartment, etc.). Some time later we found rust and corrosion on the A-pillar (paint started bubbling to reveal the rust, below).

Doug
Oh I wouldn't buy a car from the midwest / great lakes region either. OR Canada. That's what they call the "rust belt". Cars in the northeast, esp nice ones are just as pampered if not moreso than California. They are also usually NOT daily drivers, but rather garage queens. For people movers, maybe not so much.

I'm not questioning the quality of California cars, as I have limited experience with such, but with the classics they have always had every single plastic or rubber piece dry rotted, brittle, faded or broken.

All I'm saying is after being in this game for a while, you learn to realize there are gems and pigs from everywhere.

I've sold several northeast Jags and Porsches to Canadians, mostly online, sight unseen. All have been thrilled.

Take care,

George

Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

roads throughout the midwest are heavily salted in the winter to melt ice, but the salt can cause rusting. not sure if that is common practice elsewhere, I know some regions use grit to provide traction instead of the salt.

mine gets put away before snowfall and isn't brought out again until after some heavy spring rains wash the salt residue from the road. During the winter I won't even store it in the same garage as my daily driver; over the winter so much salt accumulates on the bottom of my other car and then drips off when parked in the garage, that I end up with a layer of salt on the garage floor, which can't be a good storage environment.

The number of people taking that level of precaution has to be quite low. So be wary of buying cars from the midwest

Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OhioXK
roads throughout the midwest are heavily salted in the winter to melt ice, but the salt can cause rusting. not sure if that is common practice elsewhere, I know some regions use grit to provide traction instead of the salt.

mine gets put away before snowfall and isn't brought out again until after some heavy spring rains wash the salt residue from the road. During the winter I won't even store it in the same garage as my daily driver; over the winter so much salt accumulates on the bottom of my other car and then drips off when parked in the garage, that I end up with a layer of salt on the garage floor, which can't be a good storage environment.

The number of people taking that level of precaution has to be quite low. So be wary of buying cars from the midwest
Jersey used to use road salt liberally, the few times a year it was needed, but as of recent years, they have transitioned to some sort of liquid chemical de icer. Usually pre applied the night before... and repeated throught the storm. In some ways its better, in others its worse bc im sure its just as corrosive, AND it sticks to the car all over in the form of road film.

Take care,

George

Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow! That makes me feel soooooooo much better about my '97.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Goerge, the deicer is calcuim choride, lowers the freezing point of water. Salt needs water to disolve and does not work well in sub zero conditions, plus it slide on ice that why they use sand and other materials. It is cheaper that salt, less waste and eniromental impact. We in the south use both. Sorry to get of track, 20 years working for SCDOT. Jim

Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by berlin1977
Goerge, the deicer is calcuim choride, lowers the freezing point of water. Salt needs water to disolve and does not work well in sub zero conditions, plus it slide on ice that why they use sand and other materials. It is cheaper that salt, less waste and eniromental impact. We in the south use both. Sorry to get of track, 20 years working for SCDOT. Jim
Thanks!

You learn something new every day. Any thought or commentary as to it's corrosive properties relative to conventional road salt?

Take care,

George

Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

George i would say is probably the same but is much easier to remove or clean off. Salt being a granulate has a tendency to built up in the areas that are hard to wash, fender wells, brakes, frame etc. Calcium chloride being in liquid form, a good under body car wash using soap should do the trick. We used pressure washer to clean our equipment. Jim

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

I think that generalizations are just that. Most of the people that inhabit this Forum have cars that are carefully Bought and maintained regardless of location.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks John. That was an experience no one would like. However, it sure supports your love for your XK8.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I think it was safe, he probably didn't think he could get away in the car.
LOL Name:  laugh.gif
Views: 38
Size:  653 Bytes

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Still I would go out of my way to buy a California car versus any other. Nice cars here are usually babied by their owners and, with minimal care, can be almost as good as new even 15 years later.
Yeah, I'm always impressed with the number of people in Calif. who keep their cars under covers while at work during the day. Which makes sense if you think about it: people advertise that their cars are 'garage-kept' but then they leave it outside in a parking lot all day while at work. And the summer sun does a lot more damage than most anything else.

Last edited by Marsden; 06-27-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
ecw
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha, I saw that car and wondered why it was so cheap!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marsden
LOL

Yeah, I'm always impressed with the number of people in Calif. who keep their cars under covers while at work during the day. Which makes sense if you think about it: people advertise that their cars are 'garage-kept' but then they leave it outside in a parking lot all day while at work. And the summer sun does a lot more damage than most anything else.

I have had the good fortune for the past many years of having my cars in the home garage at night and then in subterranean parking at the office during the day. There was a stretch of about 7 years during the time I owned a 1986 BMW when I worked downtown and had to park the car in a surface lot to catch a commuter bus. I always used a car cover during the day which kept the paint and interior in excellent condition. Of course not that many folks are as **** as me when it comes to how I treat my cars.

Doug

Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsden
LOL

Good point. My 97 was advertised to be "garaged". Well...it was actually "carported", and the back end was exposed to the sun. It wasn't the desert, but even in Monterey the sun will eventually get to the paint. I had to have the rear deck repainted and the rest polished out. It looks like new now....but then I garage it or cover it unless I'm on the road, and then it's covered when I get to my destination.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John...I recently moved to Phoenix. I am looking for a 2004-2006 XK8 or XKR Convertible, with under 70,000 miles, to purchase. Do you go to auctions? I would probably need to purchase via a dealer because I would have to finance most of the cost, plus I would like to purchase an extended "aftermarket warranty". I am going to be selling my Audi A6 "private party" in order to have a reasonable down payment. I am hoping for something around $17K to a max of $19K for a Jag. Let me know if you can help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When a princess is a pig