XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke at traffic light fixed 98xk8 4.0

Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts
Default White smoke at traffic light? the fix on my 98xk8 4.0

When driving your xk8, the factory timing chains throw oil to the top of the valve covers violently and the engine is spinning the chains very fast, making the chains a frying pan as well,due to hot temps.

The breather system built into the valve covers are not sufficient to handle this=poor design-it catches some of the oil vapors and some not, thus the breather tube on the driver side is too close to the timing chain, sucking a little oil up, but making a big white mess out the pipes.

The engine sucks in a lil bit of that oil from your breather tube on the driver side and when you sit or hit the gas it burns white smoke.

My solution-plug the boss on the air intake behind MAF the breather hose goes into,

Take the valve cover breather hose on driver side valve cover and run a thinner hose inside OF IT to bottom of car to ventilate the crank case.

No clamps needed,it can hang loose and not fit snugly, it will breath way better, and this is the killer of those electronic throttle bodies,killer of Converters,O2 sensors and MAF from putting oil vapors into them.

I ran mine next to the radiator so the fans dissolve the ventilation of the crankcase vapors that may be visible.
Case solved , no more white smoke out the exhaust.

Last edited by aode06; 10-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Intriguing- looking forward to the group's thoughts on this.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

This solution also violates your local emissions control regulations. It's the old fashioned way, all cars would have a breather to the outside. Now, that must be captured back into engine combustion process. I'd suggest cause of problem be found and corrected, it's not normal to puff white smoke as described.

Steve

The following users liked this post:
plums (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

And the air that is lost back to atmosphere was measured by the mass air meter so it will alter the fuel adjustments.

Agree with Steve, if there is smoke, something is not right.

plums (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Something is wrong and the suggested fix is a bandaid at best.

In addition, it breaks the law in most jurisdictions.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Ok I see where the confusion is here.

First there are hundreds of posts on google and the forum with this issue being unresolved, no loss of coolant, oil ok, compression ok, head gasket replaced, same problem, etc etc etc.

Listen very closely.

The boss on the driver valve cover is too close to the timing chains, that slings oil 35-45 feet, if a valve cover is off.

Do not confuse this with an engine malfunction.
The breather baffles in the valve cover don't serve their function.

Engine vacuum will suck up A LITTLE oil from the chains because of the boss location not being in the CENTER of the Valve Cover.

So either relocate the boss(hard),modify the valve cover inner breather-very hard or do what I did-very easy.

Take a valve cover off and start the car, the oil will sling out over 35feet!

This has nothing to do with any technical problem, but a very common design flaw.

A drop of few of little oil =a lot of white smoke.This modification will do nothing but good things for your car, by only allowing clean air inside the engine,and the risk of sucking in oil from the chains is eliminated.

New the JAGS have a low vacuum, making this not happen, as your mileage gets higher, the vacuum gets stronger as the engine is broken in, now there is more vacuum, that before pulling in a tiny amount of oil from the chains making a mess.

This is why all car manufactures locate this boss in the CENTER of the valve cover or install a shield in valve covers near the timing chains, jaguar does not do this-bad

Last edited by aode06; 10-10-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

No, there is no confusion.

Most AJ27 engines in good condition do not smoke, blue, white or otherwise. Blue smoke is generally blue, white smoke is generally condensation or coolant.

Venting to open atmosphere is illegal in most jurisdictions.

Finally, the vent does push pollutants into the air because the crankcase is under positive pressure from blowby. Indeed, if a particular car is blowing smoke like this, there is a likelihood that there is more blowby than usual.

If a AJ27 V8 smokes, there is a problem that needs fixing and not a bandaid.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=plums;831266]No, there is no confusion.

Most AJ27 engines in good condition do not smoke,.

You are still confusing engine damage / combustion/internal engine damage.

With the driver timing chains slinging a little oil into the driver side breather boss under vacuum,causing white smoke on some 4.0's.

This does not involve engine damage whatsoever and is a very common problem.This is a BAFFLE FLAW ON THE DRIVER SIDE VALVE COVER ONLY and has nothing to do with the engine.

You do not have to violate any laws, just relocate the boss to the center of the cover, and your good.This has nothing to do with ie:rings, pistons, gaskets, etc etc. and will cost a jaguar to end up in the junk yard, or a fortune with no fix.

To further help you understand, remove that valve cover, you will see the boss is in a very bad location, where the chain throws oil NATURALLY in its path on JUST THE DRIVE SIDE, this does not involve health of the physical engine itself.

Last edited by aode06; 10-11-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

[QUOTE=aode06;831390]
Originally Posted by plums
No, there is no confusion.

Most AJ27 engines in good condition do not smoke,.

With timing chains slinging a little oil into that tube under vacuum,causing white smoke on some 4.0's.

This does not involve engine damage whatsoever and is a very common problem.This is a BAFFLE FLAW ON THE DRIVER SIDE VALVE COVER.

You do not have to violate any laws, just relocate the boss to the center of the cover, and your good.This has nothing to do with ie:rings, pistons, gaskets, etc etc. and will cost a jaguar to end up in the junk yard, or a fortune with no fix.
The valve cover is supposed to have a gauze-like filter material under the baffle. It sounds as if it might have been missing on your car. There has been a case or two on the forum where it had been removed.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts
aode06 (10-12-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 AM

The material is there, but look closely at the design on the driver side, you will see how the oil splatter has glided on the valve cover itself bypassing some of that material , then look at your throttle body gunk.

This is the main reason for all that black grime inside.

And trust me it only takes a little bit of oil, just a little and there is that white smoke the 4.0 owners hate.

Depending on your oil pump,and good pressure or not will effect the throw force of the oil on chains.

Last edited by aode06; 10-11-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Coupe

, I need a beer, mine was clogged up , I used a coat hanger to clear it.I will install later today and let you know if that kept the timing chain oil from gliding into my valve baffle.

As I said, these cars are made to keep you coming back for service intentionally.

Last edited by aode06; 10-11-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:55 AM

And also understand, my car was at the dealer, I was quoted $13 thousand dollars to replace the engine after it wouldn't start-low compression.

I almost paid them to do the job, but found this site, and it was just cylinder wash,from the car being moved one spot to another very fast in the morning..

They even said-oh that breather tube and air filter with oil means new engine.

Turns out the fix was free, what the hell man??????, why are jaguar dealerships like this, every visit is $300-$500 or better??

Last edited by aode06; 10-11-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down no confusion and still illegal

Originally Posted by aode06

No, I am not.

... on JUST THE DRIVE SIDE, this does not involve health of the physical engine itself.
If you mean the "drivers' side", check that the system is complete, including the baffle, the steel mesh gauze, and the oil restrictor.

Furthermore, [u]the way you chose to do your modification is illegal in all 50 states since you chose to dump directly to atmosphere in your current configuration.

From your original post:

I ran mine next to the radiator so the fans dissolve the ventilation of the crankcase vapors that may be visible.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

And also understand, my car was at the dealer, I was quoted $13 thousand dollars to replace the engine after it wouldn't start-low compression.

I almost paid them to do the job, but found this site, and it was just cylinder wash,from the car being moved one spot to another very fast in the morning..

They even said-oh that breather tube and air filter with oil means new engine.

Turns out the fix was free, what the hell man??????, why are jaguar dealerships like this, every visit is $300-$500 or better??
There's the problem right there.

1. you and the dealer didn't know about bore wash and hence a engine replacement was suggested. or the dealer knew full well, but hoped you did not. As the bore wash engines are 15 years old, only the older personnel would be expected to know about it. A two year service advisor won't have any idea.

2. oil in the breather tube, intake tube and throttle body are common and cleaning them is considered a routine maintenance item around these parts.

Your "problem" is likely exacerbated by the fact that your 1998 AJ26 is just plain getting on in years. Therefore, the oil rings are also getting worn, or gummed up. A few crank until the battery dies due to bore wash incidents won't help matters.

If you insist on using a different part load breather arrangement, then a non-atmospheric vented catch can would at least let you stay legal. However, it is still a routine maintenance item as it needs to be drained regularly. This is especially true in winter conditions in OH as the oil will turn into jelly and then the engine will throw a code.

It is also possible to revamp the baffle, or move the nipple. Much easier than you might think if you look around the brass fittings at Home Depot or the like.

The bottom line is that only sick engines smoke.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down

Your speculation is not in the manual.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:51 AM

im so happy this was fixed and the cat rides so smooth now, .

Had to clean out the MAF internal element and shrouding around it with MAF CLEANER, clean the throttle body , and air intake tube as well of course.

You cant even hear the engine running, just purs and accelerates very smoothly and quietly,no more smoke.

Last edited by aode06; 10-12-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Coupe

I have the same color and top as you.My cat only has has 97k on the clock, very young kitty.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:48 PM

nope plums,

everything is back to the original hookup, my passenger port was clogged up.

That's all it was.However, im installing a FORD BREATHER Element FROM A 2002 CROWN VIC, IN THE Driver Breather LINE AS WELL TO ELIMINATE ANYTHING GETTING ON THE MAF and throttle body.

Last edited by aode06; 10-13-2013 at 02:51 PM.