XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do Techs make so much mess???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do Techs make so much mess???

My car just had to have the Full Monty detail after a day at the Dealership in Naples. Dirty hand prints on my canvas top, grease from there shoes on my carpet and crap on my door panels and sterring wheel. Also greasey hand marks on the hood and the rear trunk floor and side pieces were all dirty where they had been installed with dirty hands. What is it with these guys, they just dont care?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Why do Techs make so much mess???

Ignorance and arrogance...just like some CEO's of major corporations. So all mechanics are painted with the same broad brush, inaccurately so.

There are a majority of practicing physicians who would be saddled with much lower malpractice insurance if the negligent few were divested from their ranks.

That sort of thing. Find another service provider: we're not all idiots, or thieves, and we don't all suck.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed. That's like saying all dealers are crooks and all aftermarket parts are junk. I wish it was that easy. Take it to the service writer and give him the oppertunity to make it right. And, I hate to bring this up, but be realistic about how you dropped the car off. Service work does not come with a free detail. Don't be offended, just playing devil's advocate.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 AM

Listen, this is a forum...its for all opinions and occasional venting. Im not saying "all" techs are grease monkeys. but the ones who cost me $300 to get my car cleaned are.....Regarding the free detail, they do offer a complimentary wash but when I looked to see who does it it was some kid with a well worn sponge and dirty bucket.....I dont think so.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool. Then you are doing the right thing. Take it to the service writer. No one deserves to get a car back like that.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had that problem twice from the same service people, not Jaguar,then went to the manager and explained the situation. He listened, gave me a free can of headliner and seatcleaner, and we didn't have the problem again.

If that doesn't workuse another shop, and tell them why your leaving. That might get a fire built under someone.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I keep all of my cars immaculate. They are in a garage and always have a cover on them. If I get the slightest smuge on my car after service, I do not leave the service shop until it is taken care of. In fact when I left my XJ with the dealer service, I took pictures of the car while the service writer watched me. I got it back spotless!!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Phil, very sorry to hear about that! I agree with George about making sure they know how obsessive you are. i had the same problem a lot with my jeep. Although a diff caliber of dealership I still expected to have it returned to me the same way i gave it to them. You are very smart to check out how they do the quick car wash, We dont let the BMW dealer wash our black, non-metallic 7 for the same reasons. However, for my Jag dealer I cant offer enough praise to how well they (at least my service tech) respects it. They even vacummed it last time since I hadnt had time to do so myself before I left it with them. I would not hesitate at all to tell the service manager and ask them to reimburse you for the cost. Tell them if it happends again you wont be returning and will be sure to tell all of your friends as well!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM

I've had nothing but the complete opposite experience at my Jaguar dealer here in New Jersey. The Service Manager goes out of his way to make my experience pleasant anytime I've been there and the car is always returned immaculate.

And I might add that for the most part, today's automotive technicians are by far more professional and educated than ever. The whole industry has gotten very technical and the days of having someone who can just handle a wrench are gone. Technicians are constantly attending clinics and furthering their education and by far, most are incredibly professional.