XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting noise XKR coupe (2006)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wind buffeting noise XKR coupe (2006)

I have what I think sounds like a wind buffeting sound or wind rumble at speeds over 35 mph that I can hear. It seems to be coming from the windshield or front drivers corner of the car glass. I have not tried a stethoscope. There is no air leaking in. The sound is not high pitched as in a whistling wind sound. Has anyone experienced this sensation? If so what was the cause? What was remedy worked?

Last edited by tcsyd; 09-24-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added symptoms
Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Check the trim strips around the windshield. Sometimes after a windshield replacement they can be improperly placed and cause noise.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

My driver's side rearview mirror causes a similar sound. If you remove the speaker trim you can tighten it, but even after tightening it all the way I still get a bit of sound/movement at highway speeds.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Check the trim strips around the windshield. Sometimes after a windshield replacement they can be improperly placed and cause noise.
I have the same noise as tcsyd on a 05 xkr coupe. On my car the noise become apparent at speeds above 60mph. I am certain that my car has the original windshield, so the noise cannot be a result of the windshield replacement. The wind buffeting seems to be emanating from the top left side of the windshield. I must say, it is very annoying. I read other posts of 2007+ xkr models having similar issues, but the problem seems to be with the door window seal. Can anyone offer a possible solution?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsyd
I have what I think sounds like a wind buffeting sound or wind rumble at speeds over 35 mph that I can hear. It seems to be coming from the windshield or front drivers corner of the car glass. I have not tried a stethoscope. There is no air leaking in. The sound is not high pitched as in a whistling wind sound. Has anyone experienced this sensation? If so what was the cause? What was remedy worked?
Hi Syd,

I can lend you a Stethoscope...

-d

Old 04-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tcsyd
I have wind noise also but mine seems to be coming from around the leading edge of the passenger door or at least in that area. So far I haven't been able to track down the exact cause.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 XKR coupe and also experience aerodynamic noise at speeds above ~60 mph on passenger side. It seems to be around the A pillar. Any further insights from anyone who has experienced this?

Old 06-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

My 2005 Coupe has a Wind noise starting around 50 or so...I've looked for a couple years to find where it is coming from but can't determine where accept maybe the Heater/AC Vents....Sounds like my Right-side Window is cracked open a little bit!! Could it be the A/C system? It is really beginning to bug me!
Please let me know if this is the same thing you are talking about!

Billy Clyde

Old 06-08-2020, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Billy
Thanks for your reply.
I had a look around my car today and discovered differences between the position of the LH and RH windows relative to their respective seals - the LH window looking discrepant (see photos attached)
I thought the LH window may need to be re-rigged but decided to first try a memory reset of the window motors. This adjusted the LH window such that it is now positioned relative to its seals the same as the RH window (see photos). I haven't taken the for a run yet but am very confident this will address the wind buffeting noise around the LH window over ~ 100kph. Hope this helps.
Martyn

LH window not compressing seal adjacent to corner of wing mirror fairing

LH window compressing seal post reset correctly

RH window compressing seal correctly

note narrow spacing between glass panels on LH side

Spacing between glass panels on LH side post reset is now same as for RH side

Spacing between glass panels on RH side