XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window & exterior door handle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Window & exterior door handle

New to the forum, new to Jaguar, not new to British cars (Lotus, Healeys, Sunbeams, Triumphs and others). Sorting out a 98’ XK8 convertible (drop-head) right now. In doing some research on the forum I find similar threads but major component is not reported. Similar – Passengers side window drops the ½ inch when the exterior door handle is opened. When the exterior door handle is released the window immediately raises to fully close before the door closes. Hence, there is a resounding bounce as the door glass ricochets off the weather seals. Getting out the chair and whip, I have trained the window multiple times and the distances appear correct, timing is not. Dissimilar (and bad for the passenger) – The interior door handle is limp. It doesn’t lock, unlock or open the door, regardless of window position. The handle does not appear to be connected to the release mechanism. I have a suspicion that all of this is connected – window not staying down until the door is closed, the interior door handle being free floating. My wife is a really good sport about things but crawling across the car is get out does not go over well. Before I tear into the door, are there any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:41 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaXK8
..... Before I tear into the door, are there any suggestions?
NO - it would just be delaying the inevitable.

Graham

Old 11-30-2018, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Nevada, I thought about it being a defective door switch (tells the car if door is open or closed). Wonder if switch indicates door closed all the time.

Window drop is gated by door handle. Touch handle, car drops window to clear window seals. Release handle window raises = car thinks door is closed.

good news, I have a 98 too. Things change a bit over the years, this test would not apply in later years.

Open passenger door, engine on.

Does "Passenger Door Open" message appear next to red light in message display? Yes = switch ok. No = bad switch

Does puddle light in passenger door (lower rear light in door) illuminate when door opened? It is controlled by the door switch.

I'm not sure how the defective handle could be related, but its late. Let us know how you do.

John

Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Will this diagram help?

Old 11-30-2018, 10:04 AM

I will be trying the door switch test to see if that works when I get off work, before I tear into the door.

Is there a switch or other electrical connection that is operated by the link rod from the exterior door handle and the door latch assembly or is this all a mechanical assembly? If it is electrical, perhaps the door latch assembly just needs replacement, if it mechanical it may be an issue with some of the ball joints on the end of the rods.

Thank you both for the test and the diagram. Looks like a fun weekend.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Well, the door handle motion activates global (fancy word for "The other door") lock / unlock mechanism and that door's window drop. So yes, it is connected electrically as well as mechanically.

FWIW I believe lock status is security module (not 100% sure); Window drop is Body Processor Module, door puddle lights = BPM too.

First test for door switch functionality. If it is failing, lots of info to share. While its a PITA to replace that's because its an intricate, but not hard, disassembly. You can do it if needed.

I bet the handle is a simple mechanical connector. You'll be taking off the door card to get to that. Need instructions? Just ask.

Do plan on disconnecting the battery anytime you put your hand inside that door. Way too many cold sweat close call acknowledgements from folks who shun that advice "just this once" = near amputation.

John

Old 12-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Completed johnken's door switch test and she fail - no warning message, no puddle light. So I will be replacing the door switch.

Are we speaking of a micro-switch in the latch mechanism, the window/door switch or another switch hidden in some inaccessible place?

Need just a bit of help. my wife took my laptop out of town and my Jaguar manuals reside on it. So I dumbly have to ask the where and how to's in removing the door switch - diagrams?

Once that is done the floppy passenger's interior door handle gets addressed.

Thank you johnken, hope that does it.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Ok this happened 2 me once. I got lucky, the problem cleared while working to replace the switch.

others have had same - trouble cleared while testing. Many have had access by squirting wd40 I to latch mechanism.

running low on battery and its late. More 2morrow morning. Some key points:

1) find and view Rev Sam utube video. How to replace this switch.

2) switch is inside door latch. You will have to remove latch mechanism to get to it. Instructions tips links later mate.

3) switch is available from Mouser electronics for a fraction of Jaguar dealer cost. I've posted part # in past. Very recently someone provided further clarity on part number- any one recall that thread?

ask questions so we can focus to help you partner. More 2morrow (later 2day at this point!)

John

Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Smile

Success!
Many thanks to you Johnken, without your 'test' I would have gone around in circles. It is very apparent that Jaguar is more complicated than the simple Lotus, pre-Evora at least. I watched Rev Sam's video and worked on the door lock and it is going. On the door handle, a tab broke off at the connection to the door handle itself allowing the cable to come lose from the handle. Fixed that.

What I did find is the previous owner had obviously been in the door in the past. Screws were missing, pieces broken, hatchet job kind of stuff. But next up, passenger's side quarter light needs some adjusting. It stops about 1/8 inch too short of sealing. I'll save that for another day, need to research.

Thnk you again for the help.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Nevadaxk8,

you're welcome! And congratulations on your quick fix, nice job.

John