XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cracked...all on its own!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Windshield cracked...all on its own!

I've been enjoying a good long spell of trouble free driving, seems like over a year now.

Last night, in the garage, in moderate summer weather, the windshield developed a good sized crack. This is a really mild duty car these days, 100 miles a week in suburban coasting mostly. I imagine it twisted somehow, though I haven't had the car up on jack stands in forever.

I sort of liked having the original English-marked windshield but it was delaminating a bit in the corner anyway. I presume the come-to-your-house type windshield guys can handle this (mine is not heated) and the product they use is suitable.

If there is something I need to know, please tell me!

Regards,

Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Ouch! Hope your insurance covers it.

If you've any of the toys fitted which have sensors in the back of the rearview mirror, you need to ensure the replacement windscreen has the right shaped black masked area around the mirror mount area.

There's a guy on the UK forum had three attempts at obtaining the right one including getting a wrong one from his local Jaguar Dealer.

Graham

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Ouch! Hope your insurance covers it.

If you've any of the toys fitted which have sensors in the back of the rearview mirror, you need to ensure the replacement windscreen has the right shaped black masked area around the mirror mount area.

There's a guy on the UK forum had three attempts at obtaining the right one including getting a wrong one from his local Jaguar Dealer.

Graham
Yes I do! The rain sense wipers which work really well, actually, make use of the masked area. I will have to check on that. I think that's it.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

When the rain sensor is removed, you need to replace the adhesive pad, Jaguar part number LJD3850AA

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
BurgXK8 (08-08-2014), Spurlee (08-25-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WhiteXKR.... I had the same problem with my '05 XK8.... six inch crack on the passenger side coming up from below frame (rain sensing wipers too) and did not appear to have been caused by a rock or other projectile.... had a trusted mobile windshield repair guy fix it... no problem since... that was over a a year ago.. 6 inches is about the max you can have fixed from what I've heard.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Spurlee -

Two suggestions:

If you're thinking of going with non-OEM glass (PPG is the most common, I think) take a look at the glass first. The dot pattern around the perimeter and the placement of the logo are different. I didn't like it much, and so went for the OEM. Several hundred $ price difference though.

The crack could well have been caused by poor installation of a prior replacement. Isolation of the glass from its surroundings has to be done just right, or so I'm told. Find out who does this work on high end cars in your neck of the woods (most dealers don't do their own) and take the car to them if possible. True, they'll do the work in your driveway, but they have everything they might want to use in their shop, and won't be tempted to improvise if some widget or other is not in the truck.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dennis07; 08-23-2012 at 05:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spurlee (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
When the rain sensor is removed, you need to replace the adhesive pad, Jaguar part number LJD3850AA
Thank you much. I wonder how the do-it-in-your-driveway guys accomodate this stuff. There must be many cars these days with windshield features of various sorts.

I'm going to have to do some research I see.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Spurlee
Thank you much. I wonder how the do-it-in-your-driveway guys accomodate this stuff. There must be many cars these days with windshield features of various sorts.

I'm going to have to do some research I see.
I replaced mine last year, It isn't a hard DIY project. It requires about $50.00 worth of tools. A piano wire windshield adhesive cutter, a windshield glass suction tool to hold the windshield, and a close to human helper. You'll also need 3M urethane sealant and primer. I replace mine with a OEM Jaguar Triple XXX, Give the dealer your Vin # and he should be able to order the correct windshield with the correct options. A couple of the tedious things is to fully clean your windshield frame removing all traces of the previous urethane and removing the expensive windshield trim. If the windshield has been replaced many installers will glue the trim in making it almost impossible to remove without damaging it. ( the key is go very slow and be very patience. The glass will have to be primed with the special primer. The procedure is spelled out very well in the JTIS. It was a little easier for me , basically because I've replace windshields before. The adhesive pad for the mirror, I made my own from 3M two sided tape. I'm at home right now, and when I get to my shop tomorrow I'll give you the numbers for the 3M products. As a note also order the trim clips for installation.

Here's the numbers for the urethane & primer
3M Windo-Weld #08609
3M Single Step Primer #08681

Last edited by RCSign; 10-02-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwm21xk8
WhiteXKR.... I had the same problem with my '05 XK8.... six inch crack on the passenger side coming up from below frame (rain sensing wipers too) and did not appear to have been caused by a rock or other projectile.... had a trusted mobile windshield repair guy fix it... no problem since... that was over a a year ago.. 6 inches is about the max you can have fixed from what I've heard.
Exactly the problem I have. Crack just appeared in the same spot. No way this could be repaired so it looks like a replacement.

Oh well

Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

See if this will help better understand the situation with the windshield cracking.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...501001NASF.pdf

Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me- i thought it was rather strange, but it seems it is not such a rare occurence. I have my 2001 XKR Silverstone convertible for a short time only. First a 6" crack showed up on the passenger side, coming up from the bottom after a spirited drive in the canyons (no sign of projectiles). I was hoping it will stay so, it was kind of out of sight, but on my next drive it increased to over 12" in size.
I had it replaced at my home by a major Company (Safelite) . I did not go with OEM glass, not just because of the enormous cost, but obviously it cracked for no reason, how much worst can a replacement one do ? My total cost including the glass and labor was $243.82. I was very happy with the technician, he did an excellent job ( i was watching him every step very closely), and i see no difference in the Chinese brand glass as compared to the original. The only thing he missed - he did not replace the adhesive pad for the rain sensor , but i don't really care if that works or not.
Not much luck with my new toy, a few drives later my fuel pumps went out - still awaiting replacement.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, I remember when I had a close to human helper helping to cut the sealant with the cutting wire. I told him to hold steady and then he started pulling into the direction he felt right, causing the wire to go through the windshield which we intended to save.

So a close to human helper might be risky

Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM

The windshield is very easy to crack! The Safelite guys were surprised at how easily my old one broke when taking it out.

The issue with the bottom right corner (and maybe left, too) is that the windhsield sits very close to the metal A-pillar frame. If the installer is not careful he will push the window too deeply into it's frame and make contact with the metal. There's not much room for error and once contact is made the window will eventually de-laminate (as mine did) then crack.

There's only one part to add to the window - the rain sensor glue pack. I don't see how the guy could forget it. I'd take it back, they can add it easily.

They had to install my window 2 times - the white clips must orient correctly on the window itself or the finishing trim they hold in place will not sit flush with the glass and body.

The best procedure is to first adhere the clips to the window, clip the finishing trim in place and THEN install the window/trim package in the frame. Again, be careful not to over-seat the window and make contact with the frame itself! The technician and I put extra goop on the corner area to help.