XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked XK8, Happy Ending

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Wrecked XK8, Happy Ending

I had an incident in late June, stopped in a line of traffic when the SUV in front of me decided to back up! Damage to front bumper, crumpled hood, broken headlamp lens, and who knows what else. Insurance co. and their preferred body shop "conspired" to declare the car a total loss. Bummer! I really like the car, 2000 XK8, BRG, which I had owned for 10 years and have put nearly 200K miles on it.

After considering the possibility of repairing it with some out of pocket expense, my dear wife, who indulges my "irrational attraction to British cars", applied her research skills and quickly found several suitable replacements in Northern CA, OR, WA, AZ, many more available than I had thought would be the case. Of these, only two were BRG, and one was within 15 miles of my office. It took only a look, a drive, and discussion with P.O. to know this would be OK.

The replacement was a 1998 XK8, BRG, 64K mi. Great shape, well maintained with tensioners done, all was good and we settled on a price within the insurance settlement. This car, while 2 years older, is a lot less worn out than the one which wrecked. Engine stronger, everything a bit tighter, but what I gave up were:
1) navigation system, which was outdated anyway, and easily replaced by SIRI,
2) The nice 18" wheels (double fives, I think they're called), with fairly new P-Zeros. I really liked these after trying Conti's and Michelin Pilots. The new car came with 17" starfish standard wheels, and Bridgestones, which I tried to wear out quickly so I could replace them with P-Zeros again.

Everything else was virtually identical, and I like this car as I did the previous incarnation.

Fast forward to early November, I was seriously considering finding a set of 18" double fives, so I could outfit them with the P-Zeros I have learned to like. Replacement wheels are available for $280USD ea, putting the package at about $2200. I was mentally preparing to take the plunge, and again my wife's research skills brought great results: she found a set of 4 used wheels already fitted with P-Zeros in great condition. Closer inspection of the photos confirmed that these were from my previous 2000 XK8! I drove up to the breaker who had these, made the swap, and sold him my the set of Starfish/Bridgestones. Net cost to me $450. I drove home happily, putting them to the test in the Santa Cruz mountains, my daily drive. Wow- these make a huge difference in cornering, braking, and even the smoothness of rolling resistance. I'm sure some of the effect is psycho-semantic, but it sure feels real.

So, after a wreck which bummed me out, I now have a replacement which is equivalent in all respects and an upgrade in mileage/condition.

Here's to new life in XK8 driving.

Jerry Lippmann
1998 XK8 BRG
Santa Cruz CA

Driving and maintaining Jaguars since 1977

The following 7 users liked this post by Jerry Lippmann:
al_roethlisberger (11-17-2015), Angus (11-18-2015), cjd777 (11-18-2015), GalaxyDriver (11-26-2015), GGG (11-18-2015), Jon89 (11-18-2015), test point (11-18-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Boy you have a great wife!!

Doug

Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Congratulations (on the wife as well as the car)! Although I now have a 5.0L XKR coupe that I use most days, it's been in the shop for the last few, and I have had my 2002 XKR convertible out and about. It's nowhere near as modern, doesn't handle as well, jiggles like a bowl of jello going over any kind of dip or bump, and nevertheless, I still love it. I waxed it this morning, put the top down on a gorgeously warm SoCal day and just enjoyed the hell out of it. I saw a customer in the afternoon who could not help herself but to go out and look at it and compliment it as is the case every single time I drive it. If nothing else, it is one of the most beautiful automotive shapes ever.

I'm happy for you!

Old 11-18-2015, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Lippmann
...... and again my wife's research skills brought great results: she found a set of 4 used wheels already fitted with P-Zeros in great condition. ......
Jerry,

Great post and a great ending to the wreck incident.

My wife helps with brake bleeding and removal of engines etc but clearly needs to seriously up her game. She wouldn't even know what a P-Zero was!

Graham

Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Congrats Jerry, on the wife as well as the car, the wife sounds like one in a million you lucky devil

Old 11-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi All,
My wife indeed is great moral support of my Jaguar (and other sports cars) habit, and her appreciation for P-Zero comes from Formula 1. One of the highlights each spring is when we set the video recorder for the 4:30am (California time) for the F1 season, and watch over breakfast a bit later, and she tells me how happy she is that we get to watch this season together again.

She does love a road trip with the top down, and there are plentiful opportunities here in central California.

All the best,

Jerry Lippmann

Old 11-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool! And we're neighbors.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story. Fantastic wife!