XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 1999 molex pin out for CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question XK8 1999 molex pin out for CD changer?

hi all,

first post!

I didn't know where best to put this, so please feel free to move it should another location be more appropriate. I was going to put it in the 99-03 XK8 section, but I thought the answer might cross over many other makes/years.

here's the question:

does anyone know the "pin out" of the molex connector that connects the CD changer in the trunk to the Stereo head unit in the dash?

basically, what I want to know is which pin is the "left channel" and which one is the "right channel" as I assume it is an analog connection?

what I want to do is insert another molex piece inbetween the cable end and the CD changer in the trunk. this piece would pass-thru all the other pins, but would allow me to splice into the stereo L/R channels, so I could plug in directly to the head unit as if I were the CD player.

so say you weren't currently playing a CD; using this method, you could select CD on the head unit, but then connect, via the molex adapter splice, an ipod or computer or whatever to the stereo line. you'd have to be careful to use consumer line levels, (-10db) but most headphone jacks won't be too amplified to use. I'm planning on using an old mac mini and its line out.

Line level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the mac mini will be mounted in the trunk, use a SSD for a HD, and run off a power invertor. i'll then use either a wifi remote or similar to control it. so the only real question is splicing into the molex line/cable that connects the CD changer to the head unit.

any info would be great! thx!

ps. I am not interested in using a FM thing to transmit into the head unit.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:37 AM

I don't see how to edit the post, but that should say -10dBV and also my Jag is a 1999 XK8 Convertible.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

The method you suggest will work and is described in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-r-last-11943/

The following users liked this post:
MrSinatra (09-11-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

MrSinatra, looking at the diagrams for your car, they are not labeled as to what each wire does. They also do not follow any conventional wiring color convention that I am aware of.

Now, with this being said, I think we can eliminate some wires from the possible combination. I would put a multimeter on the red wire (pin 3) to chassis ground to see if you have 12 VDC there when you have the radio on. Odds are, this will be your power source for the CD player. I would also do a check of both black wires to chassis ground to verify that they are shorted to chassis ground. You may find that one is and on isn't or both may be. Along those same line, I would also be looking at the yellow wire (pin 7) to see if that has power when the radio is on. Red and yellow wires in audio systems normally signify your constant and switchable power sources. Black is normally your ground.

If this is the case, then you are simply left with 4 wires (orange, white, green and blue). From there, you can probably figure out that say the blue and the orange will go together (being say the right channel) and the green and white will go together (being the left channel) based on how they fit in the plug. Green and/or white wiring for most aftermarket companies implies a left channel.

Hopefully this will give you some starting point to help narrow down what the wiring is.

MrSinatra (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 AM

I'd like to thank you both for your timely and very helpful posts and I apologize for my delay in responding.

while all the info is there, this is a bit beyond my abilities. is there anyone out there currently selling a premade cable that goes between the CD changer and the existing cable to the head unit that allows one to continue to use the CD changer as is, but also provides splices in for RCA female inputs or alternatively a stereo female minjack input?

or is there someone I could talk to / contract to make such a cable for me?

thanks!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

MrSinatra, you might be able to talk to a local stereo shop and they will be able to take care of that for you. Some may, some may not. It would atleast be worth asking about. Now, when I say car stereo shop, I am NOT!!!! talking about Best Buy or other big box store like that. I am referring to the small stores that are local that deal with nothing but car stereos. They will be able to most likely handle what you are after. Granted, some may be intimidated by your Jag and not want to cut into the wiring. So, it is going to be a hit and miss sort of thing. Take an afternoon and see what people say. What is the worst thing that is going to happen? They say no?

MrSinatra (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

There is an adapter, but not sure when it will be back in stock: AUX-JAGCD Auxiliary input Adapter for Select Jaguar with CD Auto Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

Another device called a P.I.E. ALP AI-AUX will also work, but is no longer being produced. Occasionally they come up on ebay.

MrSinatra (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Another device called a P.I.E. ALP AI-AUX will also work, but is no longer being produced. Occasionally they come up on ebay.

this seems to be exactly what I am looking for, no? hopefully I can find one on the net.

do you have exp with it? any drawbacks or advice for it?

I found these links as well:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...native-117777/

Amazon.com: STEPHEN B HILL's review of PIE ALP/AI-AUX Audio Switcher/Aux Input fo...

scroll to the top on that last one.

I also have a new post in a different thread about power invertors, I'm hoping you guys might have some pointers with those as well?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...ations-126241/

thx!!!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MrSinatra
this seems to be exactly what I am looking for, no? hopefully I can find one on the net.

do you have exp with it? any drawbacks or advice for it?

Yes.

1. The P.I.E. ALP-AI-Aux is only plug and-play on vehicles with premium audio and navigation and it will overrride the radio when an aux. signal is present . On other vehicles it needs an internal wiring modification. It is documented in a thread on this forum or contact me. I can make the mod. for you for a small charge. WIth this mod. it will override the CD changer when an aux. signal is present.

2. Always feed the audio for the ALP-AI-Aux through an PAC LD-10 pre-amp. This is needed since the ALP AI-Aux is an auto trigger device that switches based on having auxiliary audio signal present. You will likely need to fine tune the trigger levels to make it work reliably. The PAC LD-10 allows you to do this.

MrSinatra (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Yes.

1. The P.I.E. ALP-AI-Aux is only plug and-play on vehicles with premium audio and navigation and it will overrride the radio when an aux. signal is present . On other vehicles it needs an internal wiring modification. It is documented in a thread on this forum or contact me. I can make the mod. for you for a small charge. WIth this mod. it will override the CD changer when an aux. signal is present.

thanks for this info. i don't have navigation, but i think i have "premium" sound, but how do i know? i have the CD changer in the trunk.

i was under the impression that if you set the head unit to "CD player," this device would just work. i did read some conflicting things, some said no CD was needed but the empty cartridge must be inserted; some others said u need a CD, that one must always be playing (so play a "silent" CD). but either way, why does the thing need a mod when its supposed to switch to its own aux line input?

thanks again, this is VERY helpful!

Old 09-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

thanks for this info. i don't have navigation, but i think i have "premium" sound, but how do i know? i have the CD changer in the trunk.

i was under the impression that if you set the head unit to "CD player," this device would just work. i did read some conflicting things, some said no CD was needed but the empty cartridge must be inserted; some others said u need a CD, that one must always be playing (so play a "silent" CD). but either way, why does the thing need a mod when its supposed to switch to its own aux line input?

thanks again, this is VERY helpful!
To see if you have premium sound, peel back the carpet covering the CD changer and see if there is a power amp sitting on top of it. If yes, then you have premium sound.

The AI-Aux is a generic device intended for use with Alpine aftermarket systems, so it is not necessarily compatible and does not necessarily work the same with the wiring in the Jaguar in all configurations.

See this thread for an explanation of the mods that may be necessary: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-49293/page2/ . You can always try it first and see if it works. If not, you need the modification shown in post #27 of the above thread.

Lastly, I suggest your questions specific to the XK8 be posted in the 1996-2006 XK8/R forum. Your posts will get exposure to many more people familiar with your vehicle that way.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-13-2014 at 06:08 AM.
MrSinatra (09-13-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 05:10 AM

thanks again for sharing your deep knowledge on this, its very appreciated!

I apparently DO have the amp on top of the CD Changer, and like I mentioned elsewhere it is a Harmon Kardon system, but it has no navigation. however, the laser alignment of my CD Changer is "off" and so it doesn't play CDs. is this going to screw me???

I did find a KCA-410c after hours of searching but I got it cheap with an AI-Net cable as well, $81 total incl shipping, should arrive next week. I am under the impression this is superior to the PIE solution and it eliminates the need for a pre-amp b/c its built in, is this correct?

do you think the KCA-410c will be plug and play for me or might I still need the tweak u mentioned? and/or might the CD player malfunction screw me?

in addition, I got this computer:

Fully Assembled Car PC with VoomPC-2 Enclosure, ASUS J1900I-C, M2-ATX-HV automotive power supply

with the DVD drive, 4gb Ram, and the 64gb SSD.

I plan to just use a simple male stereo minijack to RCA adapter cable to connect its analog audio out to the KCA-410c's RCA inputs.

I am still working out the connectivity ideas I have so I can control this from the cockpit, but I want to see what works before I blab about it here. I am planning to put win7 on the machine.

thanks again!

Old 09-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Hi WhiteXKR,

I have everything all hooked up but no joy. I can't get sound via the RCAs on the KCA 410c unit. Does it need mods? Am I SOL?

Thx!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

The black-pink interrupt line on the KCA-410 is not compatible with Jaguar head-unit. I think you will need to manually connect it to ground to get the auxiliary audio to function.

If that does not work tell me exactly where you have everything connected.

MrSinatra (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM

some updates...

we DID get the CD changer to work! when we took it out, we saw 3 gold bolts in the back, locking the transports perhaps. so the CD changer DOES work.

also, it works when the KCA is connected up.

so the only thing still not working is the AUX in.

we play off our phones but no joy.

we will try grounding the interrupt line as per your suggestion and report back! thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 PM

SUCCESS!

here are the details...

the AUX 1 we couldn't make to work no matter what, we're not sure why.

the AUX 2 however DID work, only when the Nav interrupt wire was grounded, just as you said. thanks again so much!

interestingly, if we removed the AUX 2 input wire (RCAs) completely, the CD changer did NOT come back on. it only came back on AFTER we removed the ground to the interrupt wire!

so, in order for me to be able to use both i'll need a switch wired up to turn the ground on/off in the center console. that's a project for another day! while I want the CD changer to work, I don't need it right now.

can't explain the AUX 1 failing, i'll post pics later, the KCA was clean inside.

thanks again! if you want any clarifications to anything I said, please ask!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

MrSinatra, If you don't mind a little trip, I might be able to re-align your CD player (depends on the adjustments on the inside the unit). I have figured out how to align CD units and a lot of them have adjustments on the inside that with the right knowledge, you can bring a player back to life. I am going to be working up in Delta PA in the end of October unless you want to make a run down to Southern Maryland. We can atleast look at things and see what is going on. Another possibility is if you can make it to Fairfax, VA this weekend for the Pride of Jaguars meeting (8-10 am on Sunday 9/28). I could bring my tools and we might be able to take care of you there.

MrSinatra (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 PM

hi Thermo,

actually, we did get the CD changer to eventually work, details in post 15. we think it had never been used amazingly.

I'd love to get together regardless, but I don't know for sure where I will be or when.

the 3 things driving me crazy now, are

1. why the AUX 1 on the KCA doesn't work at all?
2. why the AUX 2 works when the interrupt is grounded, but the CD changer won't work again, even when the AUX 2 is silent, until the interrupt is ungrounded?
3. why I am getting noise or feedback or a ground loop problem when the interrupt is grounded, the AUX 2 is connected, but no active signal is being fed in? (the speakers do a high pitch whine that revving the engine makes worse)

I still have work to do on getting everything set up and running, but I am so much farther along today than the day b4 yesterday.

thanks! (i'll get pics posted too, soon)

Old 09-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

1. why the AUX 1 on the KCA doesn't work at all?
2. why the AUX 2 works when the interrupt is grounded, but the CD changer won't work again, even when the AUX 2 is silent, until the interrupt is ungrounded?
3. why I am getting noise or feedback or a ground loop problem when the interrupt is grounded, the AUX 2 is connected, but no active signal is being fed in? (the speakers do a high pitch whine that revving the engine makes worse)

1. The KCA-410C is designed to work with an aftermarket Alpine factory headunit that has an Aux. mode. The Jaguar factory headunit does not. Therefore it only switches based on the interrupt signal which apparently controls AUX 2.

2. The Alpine KCA-410C does not trigger on the Aux. music source like the PAC ALP AI-AUX does. You will only be able to control it with the switch to the interrupt input.

3. Using a car audio ground loop isolator on the RCA inputs, such as Ground Loop Isolator : Isolators | RadioShack.com should quiet it down,

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
MrSinatra (02-27-2021)
Old 09-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

Mr, sinatra, what part of PA are you in? I am coming up your way by 2.5-3 hours to be on the MD/PA border where I-95 crosses. I am always willing to give things a look. If things are not too far of a drive, I am up for a road trip. I will probably have 2 days off in the 2 weeks that I am up north to do some traveling. The one day I am going north of Philly to pick up a part or two from a fellow member. But, things are always open when it comes to me and my travelling.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
DavidYau (03-01-2021), MrSinatra (02-27-2021)

Quick Reply: XK8 1999 molex pin out for CD changer?