XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xk8 front shocks... Observation...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Xk8 front shocks... Observation...?

Hi guys, As I am about to replace my front shocks/ mounts I have been collecting parts and tools and know how to do the job so it will all go smoothly. Iv'e read many of the posts here on what to do, I even have a spare set of used shocks just in case... Thanks again jag#4!. Anyway, I noticed something rather alarming, did anyone notice that the lower spring seat is supported only by a clip .059" thick in a groove that's only .031" deep? THIS IS ALL that supports the front of these cars! I know it must be fine but sheesh! ... thats not much! I was going to add an aluminum sleeve that has a threaded collar to adjust spring height... but I don't want to create a potential for disaster. I spoke with a tech from bilstein, he says it is a fine idea and had no issues with it. I spoke with the techs where I purchased the sleeves and was told the are used all the time by dirt track racing cars and they had no worries about the application but.... I'd like to hear from an engineer who can explain just how strong this design is. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Curious why you wanted to add an adjustment. Did you want to be able to raise the ride height? I think if I remember these adjusters from some 30+ years ago when a buddy used to race it was to lift one side to apply an uneven pressure for the constant cornering of the dirt track. Not sure how that applies to these cars, maybe a jeep.

I am sure if engineered for this application it should work. Just had my springs compressed doing top mount and I agree that there is a fair amount of pressure and weight against the little edge of the shock. 20 years and over 100K no signs of failure on my green shocks.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

I don't think you should worry too much about the small "clip & groove" arrangement. A bigger problem - at least in countries where there's lots of rain and salt on the roads, is the pan on which the spring sits. This was the state of mine before I did a front-end overhaul !!

Name:  front%20spring_zpsga1gqoby.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  316.0 KB

Name:  old%20amp%20new%20spring%20pans_zpsafqgi5ck.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  425.6 KB

Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Unless you are looking to make the ride height adjustable, there won't be much benefit to the threaded collar.

The design as it is has two circles interacting, one in uniform compression (the lip on the shock body) and one in uniform tension (the spring seat). There is not a stronger arrangement.

In order for the spring seat to pass over the shock lip, the lip would have to be compressed to a smaller diameter or the seat has to be stretched to a larger one.

That won't happen until one or the other of the circles is compromised, just as David described.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 AM

Hey guys, THANKS for the replies thus far...keep them coming! I will be at my shop today and I'll get some pics posted of what I've got going on but, sounds like you understand. I do think it will be a nice upgrade to be able to make small ride height adjustments... if for no other reason than to compensate for worn springs a bit... it will also be my own personal improvement. The pics of the rusted seat pan are the type of disaster I am worried about!, luckily, my shocks do not have that environment. Also, while I am not an engineer, I can think of several ways that a stronger design could be applied... I am working on it. Pleas check back later for the pics... i DO think you will approve. Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Default XK8 front shocks... Observation... PICS

O.K guys, I'll try to include some pics of what I'm talking about. Keep in mind, I know the design from Jag is adequate... I've been to Hinckley, U.K and to the M.I.R.A test ground... I am familiar with the pave course and I'm sure Jag tested here. I'm just noting that it is to me an engineering marvel as to how much weight this deign holds... reliably! You will also see what I plan to d o with the spring adjuster, keep in mind I' know the ride Jag offers in STOCK trim is fine, but I am one of those who can see potential for improvement (hopefully) I DO think if I can add a small adjustment to the spring compression easily... why not? After all, isn't this how everything gets improved? by someone trying something?, isn't that how products evolve and improve?. I see alot of post on this forum from people putting lowering springs on their xk8's, why not? well with this set up, one could dial down the spring height temporarily if one wanted... and it can be EASILY set back to stock whenever. Also, I can adjust for even ride height R~L in minutes with this set up... I think it's a cool idea. ***NOTE*** I will re-cut a new groove lower on the shock so the adjustment range will be in the mid-way point on the threaded sleeve... I will NOT use the stock groove as it would be too high.

Attached Thumbnails Xk8  front shocks... Observation...?-100_1072.jpg   Xk8  front shocks... Observation...?-100_1077.jpg   Xk8  front shocks... Observation...?-100_1079.jpg  

Last edited by Bhpbug; 02-28-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Additional information added
Old 02-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

All this from memory but .....................

the "support cup" slides over the shock absorber (damper) from the top, so the bottom of the spring is a couple of inches or so below the "clip & groove". The cup isn't going to slide over the threaded sleeve although I guess it could be machined to fit. The spring can't sit on the brass adjusting collar or a supporting plate at that position as it would be way too high UNLESS you start chopping bits off the spring.
No offence, but this seems to be a very complicated and potentially expensive way of achieving a very slight adjustment in ride height which, if all the original kit is in good condition, particularly the top and bottom shock mounts, isn't a major issue for most owners.
No criticism intended, and it's your car - your call but .............. I'm not sure the time, trouble and cost are really going to be justified ??

Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM

Hi David, and thanks for your input. I understand your last comment but, perhaps I was late in adding my last comment and, the forum would not allow me to download ALL my pics at once so... My plan is to cut a NEW snap ring groove aprox 8 1/2" BELOW the stock groove. This will put the modified stock lower spring cup in the mid-way point on the sleeve, ** IT WILL FIT OVER the sleeve and sit on the gold collar... AND in the same aprox. the position of the stock spring cup which, as you stated, installs from the top of the shock. I plan to start with the same installed spring height as stock... I WON'T be chopping any coil off! and can adjust each side from there. Bye the way, the cost was minimal... aprox. $50.00 for each side, $100.00 total Thats way less than lowering or new springs. yea it is a bit of work but... that's just me, I tinker, modify ... it's my hobby per say. I know Jaguar has to be cost efficient when producing cars, I'm sure that's why the used the design they did, I'm sure they DON'T want idiots adjusting things in a way that would just make the car drive worse. As I said, I just want to be able to make MINOR adjustments ... if I want.

The following users liked this post:
DevonDavid (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

This is getting interesting. Keep the ideas and pictures coming.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:26 PM

Well, Greetings Jag#4... Yes!... that's one of your old shocks in those pics.... Thanks again! Sorry this project took so long to get under way but, right after I got those shocks I opened my own business ... I've been super busy ever since. I'm just now getting back to taking care of some projects with the old jag. Now I'm off to build my own shock spring compressor... I don't like the ones at autozone or other part stores as they scratch the paint on the springs... if my idea works, it wont scratch anything.