XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xk8 modding questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default xk8 modding questions

Coming from a Lexus IS300, I was a bit disappointed to see the XK8 didnt have much aftermarket. After doing some research recently I saw some people have things like a K&N cold air intake and an ecu reflash. I was thinking "no f*cking way!" but I cannot seem to find a place that sells these things except Paramount Performance out of Britain (I believe). Now are there really modifications available to the U.S. like this? Also I cant seem to find any rims with out bolt pattern. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that sells rims and modifications? I already know of Mina Gallery and i have purchased and installed an Arden bodykit and a Mina exhaust and I absolutely love it but I just want to know what else i could do to my jag

Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I know this isn't much help, but you're going to have trouble finding many mods for the car. They were produced in very low numbers, therefore there's not much of a market for mods. But that's one of the things that makes the car so cool. I can drive across town and see a half dozen IS300's, but last summer I drove clear across the country and back and only saw two other XK8's.

By the way, I looked for a cold air intake a few months ago and learned 1) K&N doesn't make one for the XK8. and 2) most "cold air intakes" end up decreasing the vehicle's HP. In the case of the XK8 it gets its air from up under the fender. Many aftermarket intakes just take air straight from the engine bay, and that's going to be hotter than the air from up under the fender.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

sorry to disappoint, but you are correct. There isn't much you can do to this model.

coventry west I think is the only 'big' jag bolt-on spec'd wheels. But with the right adapater (custom machined if you must) you can put anything on you want, with the right offset of course.

you can do HIDs if you don't have them...no idea what MY yours is, may want to put that in your sig. Tail lights have been swapped before, exhaust of course, poly-eurathane suspension bushings, lowering springs, grilles...that's all I can think of off the top of the 'ol head.

...not that I am recommending these personally, as it could affect performance and ride quality (<- my general disclaimer)

Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

As far as air intake is concerned the best you can do is one of these http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/remote-ca...bfil-861-p.asp

(I really need to discover how to do URL links) You will need to run the pipe to somewhere near the front of the car....Colder the air the more oxygen the more power and besides that they are cheaper than a panel filter.

The best place IMO is www.paragondesignuk.com but I would say that , you are right in saying there is not alot you can do to an XK8 unless you go mental like me and I dont wish to keep repeating myself but this is just automotive ****

Did I mention I also made it a manual

Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Im guessing you guys haven't seen my introduction thread lol. Sorry for the crappy blackberry pics but this is all I have right now.

Name:  intro1.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  intro2.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  intro3.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  101.5 KB

I do have hid's on the jag already. My father put them in before when he owned the car and i wasn't even allowed to look at it lol. Here is a pic with my ex ex hyundai tiburon

Name:  pimperzz.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  35.2 KB

If those are the mods im limited to then I might as well do what I planned on doing and keeping the jag as my daily driver and build a 240sx for drifting

Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
As far as air intake is concerned the best you can do is one of these http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/remote-ca...bfil-861-p.asp

(I really need to discover how to do URL links) You will need to run the pipe to somewhere near the front of the car....Colder the air the more oxygen the more power and besides that they are cheaper than a panel filter.

The best place IMO is www.paragondesignuk.com but I would say that , you are right in saying there is not alot you can do to an XK8 unless you go mental like me and I dont wish to keep repeating myself but this is just automotive ****

I was just looking at the website you posted with that car on it and im amazed with what you are doing the the xk. I cant wait to see that thing on the track!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Wow... Every time I see a coupe I'm in awe. They just look so... I'm at a loss for words. In my opinion they look better than any Porshe, Ferrari, Maserati, etc. That is just a great looking car.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

(I really need to discover how to do URL links)
<snip> the best you can do is one of these.

Just type your text out, then grab your link by copying, highlight the word or words you want to link to that URL, and hit the hyperlink icon above to paste it into the popup. Viola!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers Matt for that bit of info

Nice looking XK anthony......I would recommend some wheel spacers, they work well with 17" revolvers and 18" wheels, gives the car a much better stance particularly with that kit on

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonyisd3ad
Coming from a Lexus IS300, I was a bit disappointed to see the XK8 didnt have much aftermarket. After doing some research recently I saw some people have things like a K&N cold air intake and an ecu reflash. I was thinking "no f*cking way!" but I cannot seem to find a place that sells these things except Paramount Performance out of Britain (I believe). Now are there really modifications available to the U.S. like this? Also I cant seem to find any rims with out bolt pattern. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that sells rims and modifications? I already know of Mina Gallery and i have purchased and installed an Arden bodykit and a Mina exhaust and I absolutely love it but I just want to know what else i could do to my jag
Mina Gallery has some mods for the Jaguar.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Smile Nice Body Mods

I like what you've done. That is the Arden Kit, correct? In time I would like to add them. Why not go with a Jaguar factory wheel from a latter model? I think there are some pretty nice designs, and it would retain a unique yet OEM look...versus Big Chrome Wheels that you can tell right off are aftermarket on everything from trucks to all your 4 door sedans. Aftermarket wheels are "fadish" that become dated looking; whereas Factory Wheels will always look right. Just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Red face

XKRacer,what intake would you recommends for a 2000 XKR? The one in your link looks like it is only for the XK8.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

I am afraid it jumps a lot when you get to XKR the only option is the BMC CDA air box which is the same but larger and can take greater demands, the smaller one for the XK8 is rated up to 350BHP the BMC item is good for 500+ but alas the price goes up to a couple hundred bux.

In my experience it is the only one that actually has some benefit, exposed cone filters sound good and you do get nice induction noise but it has been prooven you actually loose power because of sucking in the hot air from engine bay, and all because you have a heat shield dont go thinking that is your saving grace, because it isn't....

For a cheap trick if you are after induction noise get an early XK8 induction pipe as these dont have all the baffles in place to kill the sound like the XKRs, it's not perfect but it really depends what you are after.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

anytime XKracer, I'm still trying to teach Gus how to correctly supersize his thumbnail attachment pics... lol

Old 11-12-2010, 03:17 PM

i know about hot air in the engine bay and why exposed filters in the engine bay (such as short ram intakes) do not work. they didnt make a cold air intake for the is300 (well they did but it was discontinued) and i wasnt going to go with an injen intake when the factory air box worked better cause it had a ram air type thing that sucked cold air right from the front of the car so instead i went with a joe z intake which replaced the factory intake tube with a direct flow tube and used a k&n drop in. i figured maybe there was an intake for out cars that went into the front bumper or the fender.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
I like what you've done. That is the Arden Kit, correct? In time I would like to add them. Why not go with a Jaguar factory wheel from a latter model? I think there are some pretty nice designs, and it would retain a unique yet OEM look...versus Big Chrome Wheels that you can tell right off are aftermarket on everything from trucks to all your 4 door sedans. Aftermarket wheels are "fadish" that become dated looking; whereas Factory Wheels will always look right. Just my opinion.
thank you for the compliment! i wasnt looking for giant chrome bling bling rims that scream "hey im trying to look gangster". the stock rims im using now suite the car perfect imo. i just need to add spacers to push the wheels out some more like xkracer suggested. but the overall look i was looking for was something like a work emotion cr-kai type rim in a dark chrome. something with a stretched tire and some poke. i know most of you wouldnt agree with this but i just love the stanced look.