XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 in for service

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default XK8 in for service

Wife wants to take it on a trip from Orlando to North Carolina. As it needs an oil change and an alignment, I wanted to get it checked out. I was 90% positive I needed front upper shock mounts.

Took it to All Jaguar in Longwood FL (at the recommendation of some here), as I am really short on time for any DIY right now. First time in to a Jag specific place or for anything Jag specific.

Yeppers, front upper shock mounts are needed, but the rest of the front suspension got a clean bill of health.

Though we have never seen any drips, over the course of a year+, I have had to top off the coolant at times. Well have a small seeping leak in the spider hose as well as a T connection.

They also noted I have a small pinion seal leak. AT least this last one seems to be covered in the extended warrantee.

While the repairs are not cheap, they do seem fair as I have looked up front upper shock mounts to do DIY. What they quoted with labor I felt good with. Can't find it right now, but I recall someone mentioned a price on the spider hose and the work required for it; and I, at least now, feel comfortable with the price.

What I can say is, they gave the car a good going through. And once these things are complete, I am going to feel 100% better on taking it on the trip (I was apprehensive before).

And right now that feels awesome, and I am looking forward to a week driving it top down on the Blueridge without worries.

Last edited by mapatton; 06-28-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The did the spider hose for me within the last couple of months along with transmission fluid change. I just picked it up today for some bushings that needed to be replaced. Car has never driven as good as it does now. =)

I think they are fair in their pricing...not a Honda after all and I ALWAYS get my car back cleaner than when I took it in, which is a nice touch for a small indy shop to provide. I also like the fact that they do look over the car and if they find anything that is staring to go or has already gon LOL they let you know. I would never hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 PM

When I got there at 7:30, there was only a tech there. He was great to note down what I needed rather than to have me wait. I noted this was my 1st time there. and when I couldn;t or wouldn;t DIY, I was looking for a place; and that they came the most recommended on the forum. He thanked me and asked what DIYs I had handled. I mentioned the top hydraulic lines. He just smiled and said, its not a hard job, but if you don't do this regularly; its scary removing that much of an interior of a car isn't it? LOL

Old 06-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Well picked it yesterday and I am quite pleased with the work.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (06-30-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Have a great trip Mark, its a great highway cruiser, and when the weather permits, driving around in-town with the top down, its even better!!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

All good information! You are fortunate to have a good indy where you live.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,795 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by mapatton
Wife wants to take it on a trip from Orlando to North Carolina...................
Around 600 miles each way?

Good to read a report of satisfactory repairs and servicing. Balances out the ones detailing problems.

Enjoy the trip.

Graham

Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vehicle has been given a good going over by Fox in Leeds. Two oxygen sensors £1000, cam chains and all associated gubbins... my £5k Jag has morphed into a £8k car...

Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,795 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakeman
My vehicle has been given a good going over by Fox in Leeds. Two oxygen sensors £1000, cam chains and all associated gubbins... my £5k Jag has morphed into a £8k car...
Not just the car given a good going over!

About right for Main Dealer and it should have taken care of all the weak spots. Ready to enjoy once you've recovered from writing the cheque.

Graham

Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Around 600 miles each way?

Good to read a report of satisfactory repairs and servicing. Balances out the ones detailing problems.

Enjoy the trip.

Graham
About 650 miles each way.
Already have a few day trips planned once we are up there, each about 100 miles each way.

I am guessing we will do about 2300 miles in total.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Enjoy your trip and definitely keep us posted!

The Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge are quite beautiful--and often as much as 10° cooler than the coastal plain so it'll only be, like, 90° or so up there Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 28
Size:  234 Bytes

J/K, I think this monstrous heat wave is finally dissipating a bit

Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Marsden
Enjoy your trip and definitely keep us posted!

The Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge are quite beautiful--and often as much as 10° cooler than the coastal plain so it'll only be, like, 90° or so up there

J/K, I think this monstrous heat wave is finally dissipating a bit
I am in FL, The heat the rest of the country is noting is our everyday gig. FL temps are often reported with "optimism" in effort to keep tourism up.

I actually find AZ in Jul or Aug as much better than FL.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 PM

Oh and the wife told me she needed my truck Tues, so I have to drive her ride.
Thats the Jag
Life is good.
Going to work topless.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car back yesterday, wrote the cheque (winced) and started to enjoy as soon as I sat behind the wheel... lovely car...

Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wakeman
Got the car back yesterday, wrote the cheque (winced) and started to enjoy as soon as I sat behind the wheel... lovely car...
Fantastic!
We leave in less than a week for NC, And I will be doing so unemployed. When I return I will be coming home to a new job (offer already accepted). I think driving the Blueridge top down will never gain be so sweet.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Sorry to be so late in a followup post.
The NC trip went fine. All together drove about 1600 miles.

I did note a sound 6 times that seemed to come from the left rear. It was a short sound that sounded like half chirp/half womp.

It was all the time coordinated with a shift. Nothing ever felt wrong with the shifts though. Nothing felt harsh or delayed. Everything felt normal.

4 times it was on an upshift at around 30. 1 time on a downshift around 30. The other was an upshift around 60 (heavy acceleration).
I have never heard this sound before though my wife notes she hears it quite frequently. I am thinking transmission service. What say you?

The weather was not good for the day we planned a top-down Blueridge trip. But we did pack in great miles with the top down on a few winery trips.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by mapatton
I did note a sound 6 times that seemed to come from the left rear. It was a short sound that sounded like half chirp/half womp.

It was all the time coordinated with a shift. Nothing ever felt wrong with the shifts though. Nothing felt harsh or delayed. Everything felt normal.

4 times it was on an upshift at around 30. 1 time on a downshift around 30. The other was an upshift around 60 (heavy acceleration).
I have never heard this sound before though my wife notes she hears it quite frequently. I am thinking transmission service. What say you?
Assuming yours is a ZF box that will be the well known 'bark' on engaging third gear.
It isn't serious - Jaguar stresses it is not a fault but there is, apparently, an additive you can use
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...nto-3rd-60296/
Mine does it occasionally and I wonder if it will stop when I change the oil next week.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Assuming yours is a ZF box that will be the well known 'bark' on engaging third gear.
It isn't serious - Jaguar stresses it is not a fault but there is, apparently, an additive you can use
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...nto-3rd-60296/
Mine does it occasionally and I wonder if it will stop when I change the oil next week.
The additive to cure the 6 speed 'bark' is out of production. A transmission fluid change will cure it, as the updated fluid contains the additive now.