XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 transmission removal and conv top operations

Old 10-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default XK8 transmission removal and conv top operations

Good day to all:
Just going over transmission stuff ( I have a 1999 Xk8 WITH 80 k )
Before I bought the car I went over the things I need to do
Chain tensioners etc but only quickly looked over the transmission issue
Well I think this is on the to do list as a proactive measure
Saw the A clutch on ebay and read some threads
I have replaced two transmissions over the years on nameless cars
Still waiting on JTIS to show up
Any members take one out of an XK8
Is it straight forward as per manual
Looks like it will be next season as the car is going away for the winter soon
Thks in advance
And its a fantastic car despite some of those issues
Tons of character and all of a sudden apparantly now I look good to women !!!!!!!
Howard
PS: On a different note I noticed the pressure graph during top operation with car on but not running
Pressure does drop since the battery volatage is lower.
So until I get my resistor in line I have been putting the top up and down
with car not running and lights, blower etc turned on.
My battery is good and figure its a good way to lower the chances of a green shower
Since you are bascially doing the same thing as with a voltage dropping resistor but maybe not to the same extent

Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Hardest part I found was removing the old exhaust, if you are planning on replacing it with something with a little more noise it's a good time to do it.

I have had the bolts that hold the Cats to the bellhousing shear on me before.......(I am thinking of what else!)

Hardest bolts to reach are the ones at the top and if you can be asked to go through the hassle, take the throttle body off and you can reach them easy

Apart from that it is quite simple.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Hdsg,

On the convertible top ...

I certainly agree with your wanting to keep the pressure down until you have something installed to do it more effectively. But I'm not sure the method you're using is a good idea.

Reason being, if your battery is strong then adding the loads you mentioned won't pull the voltage down very much (not more than, say, 0.1 volts). If it does, that tells us you've got a sick battery and may have trouble starting the car. In such a case, better to conserve what juice you have!

Best,

Last edited by Dennis07; 10-20-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replies
To XK Racer I do appreciate your advice and look forward to removing it next summer !!!!!! I hope to document the whole process and post.
To Dennis07 I appreciate your input. Perhaps others can correct me but I belive during car running operations the alternator supplies between 13.75 to 14.25 volts or so to the battery. Once running and charging turning on a bunch of stuff will not drag this voltage down alot maybe a volt or so. When off the float voltage of the battery is around 12.5 volts. Turning on a bunch of stuff may lower it to 12 volts or so. Hence you are applying about 2 volts less during car off top operation which lowers the pressure accordingly. Anyway this has been my experiance with battery voltages charging over the years. But I have been known to be wrong !!!!!!!!!
I may be missing something in the equation
Thanks again everyone for your much desired responses

Howard

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I just got done with the power latch hydraulic hose replacement (HJB8256AB) today on a 1999 XK8 for another local area shop. They took the car in and realized that the hoses were deteriorated and simple repair was not an option. Total cost for the repair was $650.00 (6 hours and $230.00 parts) including Pentosin CHF 11S fluid. It is not hard but people seem to be more comfortable tearing an engine or gearbox out of the car than the interior!!!!!!!!!!

I worked at a dealer and once had a lady come into the shop to get stuff from her car before the interior carpet was replaced. The seats, carpet and console were on the floor next to the car and she looked at it and told us "Thats not my car". We opened the boot lid and asked if this was what she needed and she said YES but "this is not my car". People don't care if the engine is out but if you remove the interior then that is where they LIVE (they freak out). After she was convinced that it was her car she asked if we would be able to get it back together?????

bob gauff