Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR shipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default XKR shipping

Hey Everyone,
Since i am new to car shipping i was wondering if anyone here has had good luck with a specific company or any other info on the topic?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

My wife's 2006 XK8 was shipped to us from Jacksonville, Florida in February 2012 by Stewart Transport Solutions LLC, phone (910) 892-0060. Delivered right to our driveway. They took great care, and the car arrived a day ahead of schedule. Not sure how broad their shipping coverage is, but you may want to talk with them....

Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely you'll have to go through a broker. You can go through a direct shipper, but its hard to find one going where you want, unless you're paying top dollar for it (enclosed transport is a good example). The brokers (or dealers, but consumers can't become members) post it on a website (central dispatch is the most popular) where they list where its going and what they'll pay. Then someone with a partial load headed that way will grab these extra units to fill up the load (or build a complete load from it).

That said the brokers will tell you everything you want to hear, yet will likely not deliver on their promises (shipping time). Say you get told $800 shipping, they post the load at $600 to keep $200 for themselves (yet they'll tell you they've got it all on the load to get it going.) For this reason its not always a good idea to take the cheapest broker since they will likely have too low of price to get the load picked. Many of these brokers I believe are basement no office companies that are best avoided. Ready Auto Transport (RAT) is one that's fairly large and affiliated with the dealer auctions. We used to use them and had some success, being in Iowa, sometimes loads were hard to get moved coming from east coast. We've since switched to going direct to Central Dispatch (which is where RAT posted the loads) so we can cut out the middle man.

Where are you shipping to and from?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 02tbird
Most likely you'll have to go through a broker. You can go through a direct shipper, but its hard to find one going where you want, unless you're paying top dollar for it (enclosed transport is a good example). The brokers (or dealers, but consumers can't become members) post it on a website (central dispatch is the most popular) where they list where its going and what they'll pay. Then someone with a partial load headed that way will grab these extra units to fill up the load (or build a complete load from it).

That said the brokers will tell you everything you want to hear, yet will likely not deliver on their promises (shipping time). Say you get told $800 shipping, they post the load at $600 to keep $200 for themselves (yet they'll tell you they've got it all on the load to get it going.) For this reason its not always a good idea to take the cheapest broker since they will likely have too low of price to get the load picked. Many of these brokers I believe are basement no office companies that are best avoided. Ready Auto Transport (RAT) is one that's fairly large and affiliated with the dealer auctions. We used to use them and had some success, being in Iowa, sometimes loads were hard to get moved coming from east coast. We've since switched to going direct to Central Dispatch (which is where RAT posted the loads) so we can cut out the middle man.

Where are you shipping to and from?
I will be shipping from the Philly area to Chicago.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looked at other loads posted from those area's and it looks like some are at $.43/per mile and are old so too cheap to move, and most of the fresh ones are around $.56 per mile (and these shipments are 750-800 miles). This assumes the car runs and has no issues, Inoperative cars are higher to ship.

Again, expect to pay the broker a little on top of this, but this should give you enough knowledge to get honest answers up front from them.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Great broker: Sharp Auto Transport. I've used them with great results a few times now.

Better idea: Drive it there and fly back! See America! One of the most enjoyable things I will do all year are such trips.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Reliable http://www.reliablecarriers.com/ to get my XKR from California to Chicago. Definately more expensive, but enclosed shipping on only one truck. No brokers moving the car from one load to another. For me it was worth the extra cost.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Auto Transport, Car Shipping I recently used them (All America auto transport) to ship my car from new york to California. For me it was a more affordable and safe service.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves
Enter your requirements and you will have a dozen carriers vying for your business. I found my carrier through them and I highly recommend the service.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
My wife's 2006 XK8 was shipped to us from Jacksonville, Florida in February 2012 by Stewart Transport Solutions LLC, phone (910) 892-0060. Delivered right to our driveway. They took great care, and the car arrived a day ahead of schedule. Not sure how broad their shipping coverage is, but you may want to talk with them....
Jon you got a wholesale rate through me.

I'd be glad to help the OP. I have direct access to 1 Dispatch. Plus he's close to my shop.

Unless ur in the business, it's a minefield.

Take care,
George

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Jon you got a wholesale rate through me.

I'd be glad to help the OP. I have direct access to 1 Dispatch. Plus he's close to my shop.

Unless ur in the business, it's a minefield.

Take care,
George
George, check your pm as soon as you can...

Regards

Thomas