XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR transmission coolers

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Question XKR transmission coolers

I just read this article warning about overheating the transmission in XKR (and, presumably, similarly equipped XK/XK8) models. One qualifier, he is referring to organic fluid, whereas the 6HP26 uses synthetic. AFAIK, all the alternatives people have discussed (Mercon SP, etc.) are also synthetic. So perhaps the breakdown isn't as severe as suggested.

Another post from a rebuild shop in Australia showed an aluminum transmission pan that may help with cooling. Not sure what they do for a filter in one of these setups, or if it's ever been tried on a Jaguar, but I've contacted them to find out.

Does anyone have experience installing an aftermarket fluid cooler in one of these cars? Would like to take this car out on the track once in a while, but if the transmission isn't properly prepared, the results could get unexpectedly expensive.

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I know it's not the same transmission but I'd be curious for my XKR.

I've put auxilliary coolers in trucks and sports cars before and it's not rocket science, but it's nice to have had someone else already find the fittings, hoses and seals that work without me having to figure it out!

I know this doesn't help this thread but I am adding that I'm interested.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I have installed a Hayden #1678 trans cooler on my car, because the factory cooler allowed radiator coolant to mix with my trans fluid, thus ruining my trans.

The cooler I picked is a Plate and Fin type(like a car radiator). Plate and fin is much more efficient than tube and fin. The 1678 is actually made for pickup trucks, so it is kind of overkill.

I have it mounted in front of my AC condenser, with a fan attached to it. It uses 3/8" hose, so I had to get 2 half to three eighths brass adapters.

I ran the tubing under the engine, then connected it to the hoses, going to the cooler. Heat is the biggest killer(other than antifreeze) of transmissions, so I don't think going big will be a problem. The cooler is nine and a half inches, by eleven inches. Since installing it, my trans has even gotten more quiet. The car won't win a concours, but I hope it will last a long time. Sorry for the crappy pic., but there really isn't a good place to take one, through the grill......Be cool.......Mike

Attached Thumbnails XKR transmission coolers-dscn1064.jpg  
BurgXK8 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8

Another post from a rebuild shop in Australia showed an aluminum transmission pan that may help with cooling. Not sure what they do for a filter in one of these setups, or if it's ever been tried on a Jaguar, but I've contacted them to find out.
In some applications (I assume with some off-road capabilities), the ZP 6HP26 comes with an aluminum pan, which is available separately. A (replaceable) filter is available, too, I believe. There are several differences from the plastic pan. New, shorter bolts are required. In addition, if I read this correctly, there is some indication that the aluminum pan is shaped differently, and comes with its own refill plug, requiring the whole transmission to run with a quart LESS than with the plastic pan (the refill hole on the transmission itself has to be ignored). I was mulling over this "upgrade" until I saw the lower capacity and decided to pass. Check eBay for parts, seems to be readily available. FWIW, just because it is available for this transmission does not mean it is suitable for this particular Jaguar application, I suppose.

I would assume that the majority of the cooling for the transmission fluid comes from the cooler. As you know, the fluid is run by the cool side of the radiator end tank already. The best approach is of course to gather some data. I believe there is already a temperature sender in the transmission. A good code reader would give you that number on a real time basis. It would then be a matter of logging it while driving under various circumstances. As usual, I suspect the worst is at low speed on a hot day with no AC, as Jaguar would have probably tested spirited driving as part of the development of the car.

Just my opinion, I have no direct experience. Best of luck, keep us posted.

BurgXK8 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM

Are you sure you are not thinking of the pan that goes on the Ford license built version of the 6HP26? That pan is different, yes, and may not be a good swap for the actual 6HP26. The one I linked to above is a direct replacement, from what they told me. They did not say anything about different bolts though; nor am i sure what filter they use instead of the one normally contained in the plastic pan - worth asking, thanks.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Old 08-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Interesting - not seeing a big advantage to that other than protection during off road activities. I would rather have the extra fluid to help with cooling, though.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

I had contact NIZPRO in 2015 for to know the price of his alluminium pan....

READ!

Da: Simon Gishus [mailto:simon@nizpro.com.au]
Inviato: mercoledì 9 settembre 2015 01:23
A: Manni Luca (IR DTR TOU)
Oggetto: Re: ZF 6HP26

Hello Luca

The Plastic pan ZF’s are an early series transmission. The later model ones run s steel pan and separate oil filter. Our alloy finned pans run the steel oil filter. Our alloy pan and filter are $895 Australian dollars. Yes we would be able to send it to you in Italy.

Regards Simon

Simon Gischus | Director | Nizpro Turbocharging

BurgXK8 (08-23-2016)