XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR transmission fault.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XKR transmission fault.

Well after replacing the 2 fuel pumps in the 2001 XKR the engine started right up!It sounds good and runs strong. I figured that most of my problems were behind me now. WRONG. The message on the dash says"transmission error" and then "something like "transmission overheat". I figured that like, my XK8,sometimes the error messages are not really directly related to what the real problem is. However, this time maybe it is. When I took the car for its first test ride the transmission won,t shift past 2nd gear. The car really goes! If you have not driven a supercharged XK,you would be impressed!
The car was left to set for at least a year,out in the open with little protection. I called the prior owner and asked him what he could tell me about the transmission problem. He insist's that there was no problem when he parked it. There are no codes when I try to use my OBD2 scanner,none at all. ??? I am at a loss about where to start if I want to save this car. Debating just letting it go to someone for parts,but I hate to admit failure. Any idea,s?

Old 05-22-2018, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

I think the first thing I would do is check the transmission fluid level - there is a dipstick tube in the engine compartment, but no dipstick. They are cheap enough to buy on ebay - a transmission oil change couldn't hurt either.

The transmission is the Mercedes-Benz 722.6 (also known as the Mercedes 5G-Tronic, W5A580 and the NAG1 in Chrysler applications) and it is used by quite a few other brands, so there is a lot of information on the internet if you start googling your fault.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Lanny (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

You need to get the codes read. There is a fairly common speed sensor fault for that transmission.

The following users liked this post:
Lanny (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:47 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for your advice. I ordered a transmission dip stick on Ebay. But I can not find an access point anywhere on that trans. Are you sure that Jaguar has one? And as far as reading the codes go, I have tried two different OBD2 scanners and it comes up with "no codes". However there are plenty of errors displayed on my info screen. I have successfully read the codes with these scanners on my XK8. I wonder if I have some rodent damage that I have not yet discovered.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny
Thank you for your advice. I ordered a transmission dip stick on Ebay. But I can not find an access point anywhere on that trans. Are you sure that Jaguar has one? And as far as reading the codes go, I have tried two different OBD2 scanners and it comes up with "no codes". However there are plenty of errors displayed on my info screen. I have successfully read the codes with these scanners on my XK8. I wonder if I have some rodent damage that I have not yet discovered.
Right above bell housing at firewall but it is not an open tube, it should have a cap closure on it which needs to be removed to insert dipstick.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

You probably can't read the transmission codes without Jag specific software.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 PM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
Default It might be my old 1.

Well after replacing the 2 fuel pumps in the 2001 XKR the engine started right up!It sounds good and runs strong. I figured that most of my problems were behind me now. WRONG. The message on the dash says"transmission error" and then "something like "transmission overheat". I figured that like, my XK8,sometimes the error messages are not really directly related to what the real problem is. However, this time maybe it is. When I took the car for its first test ride the transmission won,t shift past 2nd gear. The car really goes! If you have not driven a supercharged XK,you would be impressed!
The car was left to set for at least a year,out in the open with little protection. I called the prior owner and asked him what he could tell me about the transmission problem. He insist's that there was no problem when he parked it. There are no codes when I try to use my OBD2 scanner,none at all. ??? I am at a loss about where to start if I want to save this car. Debating just letting it go to someone for parts,but I hate to admit failure. Any idea,s?
You might have bought my 2001 Jaguar XKR that I had an accident in.Is it a black convertible with beige interior with over 100,000 miles?But when it rained and it hydroplaned,I crashed into another car and damaged the front bumber,tender,and quarter panel where the gas tank is.I think the body parts just needed replacing but it probably messed up the transmission too

Old 01-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

this was it before and after the accident😞

Before

Before

After

After

After

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 01-20-2020 at 08:57 PM.