XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR & XK8 problem areas ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default XKR & XK8 problem areas ??

I currently own an XJ8 which my wife drives on a daily basis and having just sold one of my other cars I'm thinking seriously about either an XK8 or XKR between a 1999 to a 2002 model year.

I'd like some advice as to the specific problem areas that I should be looking at and in addition what I should address in order of importance. I realize that the XKR will have a couple of areas that are more critical due to the induction system but beyond that I would think there are similar problems with both models. I do recall some earlier posts about tensioners but have gone back to look those up so any new info would be appreciated.

Also is their a mileage limit to the dependability of a reasonably well maintained XKR's supercharger system before a possible tear down and rebuild becomes a necessity.

I'm moving pretty quickly toward buying one so the quicker the better...for me at least<G><G>

Old 07-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

If you can afford it, look for a 2003 MY that way you will avoid all the earlier issues. Also a verifiable service history will go along way in helping you choose the right car.

The following users liked this post:
RDMinor (07-20-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

RDMinor,
I have a 2002 XKR that I've had for about 5 years. I bought it with 62000 miles on it and have just reached 150,000. It is more reliable now than at any time since I bought it. Trouble areas are:
1) Secondary plastic tensioners must be replaced if they have not already been done. No warning before they break and typically catastrophic engine failure if they do.
2) If it's a convertible (as is mine), OEM hydraulic hoses will need to be replaced as if not, you are assured a "green shower" at some point.
3) Transmission in the XKR is a much better Mercedes sourced tranny than the XK8's ZF. Fluid and filter should be changed.
4) Supercharger should be looked at.
5) All front end bushings and shock mounts need to be checked and most likely replaced. Polyurethane replacements are available, stiffer, longer lasting, but noisier than rubber ones.
6) Clean ABS sensors to prevent the idiot lights from going on.

The R models will not take any additional maintenance and have a bit more fun factor.

So long as the tensioners are taken care of you don't need to have a MY 2003 or later and actually the Merc. 5 speed is the best tranny of the whole run.

Finally, you owned a Pantera, how coulld you sell it? I barely ever drive mine, but I just like to look at it once in a while.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails XKR &amp; XK8 problem areas ??-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg   XKR &amp; XK8 problem areas ??-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   XKR &amp; XK8 problem areas ??-dscf1188-1280x960-.jpg   XKR &amp; XK8 problem areas ??-dscf1187-1280x960-.jpg   XKR &amp; XK8 problem areas ??-vp__4101-1024x683-.jpg  

RDMinor (07-20-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Common question with pretty much the same list every time.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...82/#post138408

There are many more issues that do occur but not any more than any other 12 - 15 year old cars. There is a exhaustive list of threads that cover the reoccurring issues here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

RDMinor (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the link......by the way I'm not exactly a "new guy" but I certainly need some advice. The more current the better.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM

tberg....thanks for the response. Useful comments all. My Pantera was an '86 and was one of 26 that came into the country under a limited producers exemption as far as smog and other federal restrictions are concerned. It was also a car I bought at a GSA (government) auction as a result of a major drug ring bust in the S. Florida area. It had sat in a government impound lot for 2-3 years before going up for auction at a site about 5 miles from my dealership back in 1990. I drove the car sporadically for about 5-6 months until I got a call from a friend in the exotic car business who had a buyer that offered me a quick 25% return on my investment. I already had a 330GT 2+2 in the garage and wasn't all that impressed by the Pantera's 'Hulk" like attitude and performance as it is an entirely different beast then the original Panteras were. Still I can understand the 'just looking at it' garage factor of many of these cars.

tberg (07-20-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

The suggestion I have is from what you said you wanted 'to move quickly'. You can read the links and as you say have experience. Finding the right car, good maint, clean condition, color/options you want.. there are a limited number for sale at any one time (in the US) but they come and go, I'd spent some time and missed a few until my purchase last year. Good luck on your search, that's almost as fun as driving one !

Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Welcome RDMinor,
Looks like the other guys covered most of it, just to reinforce the advice, Tensioners! Catastrophic engine failure can be the result of not changing these out. If you do the work yourself it will take you a weekend and $300. The hardest part of the job is getting all the cam cover bolts out. Also a 12-15 year old car is going to have some dried out, brittle coolant hoses and belts. My first winter, I spent lots of time in the garage swapping hoses.
On another note, You are rebuilding a CB350/4, cool. I piloted a '72 in AFM 350 production in the mid 70s. It was my fathers race bike that I inherited when he moved up to a 400/4. Which I also got some time on in 500GP and Superbike until '82 These were great motorcycles often overlooked in their day. The 350 with it's four pipes was simply beautiful. I might be able to find pictures of it on the track if you are interested. Good luck with the project. I currently have a '78 Yamaha Sr500e and a fully race prepped 540 engine, unfortunately the bike is so perfectly original (less than 2000 miles). I've had a hard time deciding on the engine swap.

RDMinor (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Fulton, I'm glad you reminded me about the hoses as I've been concentrating on the tensioners and hydraulic lines to the top.

The CB3504 is a slow project as having both knees replaced cost me about a year of little action on that front. I'm still hopeful I'll finish it before the year is out as I've taken the engine down completely and had the valve, cylinders, and head work all done and am know working towards reassembly. Chassis and related bits are waiting for me to decide on color(s) and powder coat versus paint. I'm on the fence as to what wheels to use. I have several sets to choose from but I think ultimately I'll go with a set of Buchanan's wire wheels in a 17" size rather than the 18"s it came with.

Yes to some pics if you have them as I'm always trying to find other then brochure pics to see how they looked. I guess you could message me or maybe e-mail them.

Last edited by RDMinor; 07-22-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to name memeber in text
Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM

Yes jamdmyers buying online is an experience and one of used several times going back into the late 80's using Hemmings of all things. I'm amazed by the wide disparity of pricing across the country as they vary by several thousand for the same year model with the higher mileage units quit often seeking quite a bit more. Of course there are always some dreamers out there but when I was a dealer and had to handle advertising I never saw the purpose in advertising something for sale if it was at wide variance with the market and had no reason to so out of whack. That just tends to ask to be ignored by potential buyers.

Another thing that fries me is that so few dealers, especially locally owned dealerships that deal in everyday type cars (Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford, etc.), still haven't figured out that those who contact them on the internet are different from those who walk on their lot. A "walk on" most often doesn't know precisely what it is they will buy whereas an internet contact is usually responding to a specific car or ad and in doing so has already begun to qualify themselves as being more focused and probably more knowledgeable as well. Yet they are most often treated to exactly the same type of spiel and come-ons like 'when can we arrange a test drive' when you're inquiring from 2,000 miles away !!

Last edited by RDMinor; 07-22-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Name member