S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 jaguar s-type intake manifold problems....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 jaguar s-type intake manifold problems....

How's it going everybody..

This is the second s-type that I have owned , but this one now has giving me some major problems. My boy and I both started to work on my car because the service light came on and it scanned that it is running too lean and that cylinder six has a misfire . We decided to change spark plugs and to move some coils around. My friend continued to work on it and found that the lower intake manifold won't stay on.....

And now the decision is on me and I am kind of hesitant on what to do. How much would this cost. I'm considering buying the part through jaguar, but if any one else can give me ideas, it will help.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am not sure what you have going on but I see that you have a 2002 3.0 and if this is correct this link might help http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepair2...VacuumLeak.htm

Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by JagWar
My friend continued to work on it and found that the lower intake manifold won't stay on.....

Are the bolts missing that hold the lower intake on missing? Are the lower intake manifold gaskets missing? Are the threads stripped? Need abit more information please.

Since you are into the project this far don't forget to replace the IMT O-rings! Definetly check out Gus's link on that elbow as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Are the bolts missing that hold the lower intake on missing? Are the lower intake manifold gaskets missing? Are the threads stripped? Need abit more information please.

Since you are into the project this far don't forget to replace the IMT O-rings! Definetly check out Gus's link on that elbow as well.

I did leave out a lot of information... The bolts that hold the lower intake manifold were strutted/stripped and messed up. The lower intake gaskets were all cracked... And I still need to look at the elbow and o-rings... My mechanic couldn't get the lower intake manifold back because of the bolts, so he tried some type of strong adhesive and left it under a heat lamp for 24hrs... It didn't hold up so now I think my only option is to replace the lower intake,

Thanks for the support everybody, if anyone else can help please do so..... Thanks again

Old 01-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

I did leave out a lot of information... The bolts that hold the lower intake manifold were strutted/stripped and messed up. The lower intake gaskets were all cracked... And I still need to look at the elbow and o-rings... My mechanic couldn't get the lower intake manifold back because of the bolts, so he tried some type of strong adhesive and left it under a heat lamp for 24hrs... It didn't hold up so now I think my only option is to replace the lower intake,

Thanks for the support everybody, if anyone else can help please do so..... Thanks again
Did he break the bolts in the block? Or drill / grind the heads off?? Why not just replace the bolts with new ones?

George

Old 01-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

If the bolts are already spinning, a pair of vice grips with alot of upward pulling and unscrewing should get them out. You just have to catch part of the threads. After that use heli-coils to repair the threads in the block and buy 4 new bolts. Would be alot less money! Just my opinion.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
If the bolts are already spinning, a pair of vice grips with alot of upward pulling and unscrewing should get them out. You just have to catch part of the threads. After that use heli-coils to repair the threads in the block and buy 4 new bolts. Would be alot less money! Just my opinion.
Rick,

How did the intake manifold come off if the bolts are not backing out of the block?

Why would someone have to try to glue the manifold down?

Either they snapped in the block, or got the heads cut / drilled out... Or the threads are wasted and bolts wont thread back in.

You're probably right on the wasted threads, but there's probably more to this story than just can't get the bolts out.

EDIT: To the OP. Why would you have to replace the intake manifold if you can't get it to fasten to the block? Your problem is the fasteners, or the treads in the block designed to accept them. Unless we're missing another piece of the puzzle here.

Take care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 01-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Me and my mechanic are always back fourth .. He just told me that the threads are fine and we can work with them.. It's just that there are little inserts that they use on the manifold itself... The thread on those are fine but he said that they are free spinning and try are suppose to grip to a sidewall of a hole but they do not...

Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Ahhh I see clearly now! Man I was brain dead I guess. I'd still drill out the "adhesive" and run down to Auto Zone and heli-coil the block.

I just love "and now the rest of the story" or "wait theres more" or the "I should include this". Makes sense when you are asking for help.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Me and my mechanic are always back fourth .. He just told me that the threads are fine and we can work with them.. It's just that there are little inserts that they use on the manifold itself... The thread on those are fine but he said that they are free spinning and try are suppose to grip to a sidewall of a hole but they do not...
Look at the parts diagram. The bolt is only threaded on the portion of it that goes into the head... The manifold section is supposed to free spin.

Seal is made with the gaskets.

EDIT: Please don't tell me that some "mechanic" poured adhesive into the threads in the block cause he tried to start the bolt in the manifold and it wouldn't catch...

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails 2002 jaguar s-type intake manifold problems....-v6manifold.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 01:11 PM

We believe that the fasteners are the problem because it won't hold on and causes it to leak out between the third cylinder

Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM

We believe that the fasteners are the problem because it won't hold on and causes it to leak out between the third cylinder

So I believe one of the fasteners is free spinning causing my problem

Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, here's what you have to do. Step by step.

First, go to you local for dealer and ask him for a set of lower intake manifold bolts for a Duratec 3.0 v6. Tell him it's for a 3.0 2002 Lincoln LS.

Once you get the bolts, and start with clean and fresh threads. Get some locktite purple (low strength), put a small stripe across the thread of each bolt. Seat the manifold, and hand tighten each of the bolts to where they are just snug.

Does your mechanic own a torque wrench? Will the bolts take (and hold) the torque evenly??

If no, it's time to drill and tap the block and heli-coil the threads.

If yes, start the car and see if you have the same leak.

One of two things is going on here. Either the manifold isn't torquing down, or the threads are wiped in the block and you have a bolt backing out. (check the torque before you remove them). Just try to tighten them with the torque wrench at the right setting. The bolts shouldn't move, the wrench should just click.

If one of the bolts backed out while running, it's time to once again drill, tap and heil-coil the threads in the block.

IF it holds the proper torque you have a bigger problem. It's time to start looking for cracks in the manifold, or (gasp), the block.

Take care,

George

Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Okay, here's what you have to do. Step by step.

Once you get the bolts, and start with clean and fresh threads. Get some locktite purple (low strength), put a small stripe across the thread of each bolt. Seat the manifold, and hand tighten each of the bolts to where they are just snug.

Does your mechanic own a torque wrench? Will the bolts take (and hold) the torque evenly??

If no, it's time to drill and tap the block and heli-coil the threads.

If yes, start the car and see if you have the same leak.

One of two things is going on here. Either the manifold isn't torquing down, or the threads are wiped in the block and you have a bolt backing out. (check the torque before you remove them). Just try to tighten them with the torque wrench at the right setting. The bolts shouldn't move, the wrench should just click.

If one of the bolts backed out while running, it's time to once again drill, tap and heil-coil the threads in the block.

IF it holds the proper torque you have a bigger problem. It's time to start looking for cracks in the manifold, or (gasp), the block.

Take care,
George
the torque wrench was used and after using it to fasten down these bolts, it didnt hold up after running the car.. the same leak occurred

thanks a lot, greatly appreciated

Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

When you say leak - where? You HAVE used new gaskets? And the right ones?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
When you say leak - where? You HAVE used new gaskets? And the right ones?
you can hear the air leak coming from the intake manifold... i sprayed some cleaner up and around it and when i sprayed over the leak the engine bogged... i have used the right gaskets

Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

you can hear the air leak coming from the intake manifold... i sprayed some cleaner up and around it and when i sprayed over the leak the engine bogged... i have used the right gaskets
You can use ford gaskets that cost 1/3 what the Jag ones do if you do need to replace them. Check the crossed referenced ford parts link.

Take care,

George

Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Did you replace the rubber breather elbow?