S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wheel bearing?

Hi all, been a while, been taking care of my father and takes up a lot of time. Recently, when reaching a speed over 20 mph I start to hear a whinning noise in the back. Car rides smooth but the noise is there and you hear it. Sounds like coming from passenger rear. I am thinking wheel bearing but wanted to confirm not differential. I read the threads and many would hear a whine or squeak (not getting a squeak noise at all) all the time but in my case only over 20 mph and just a constant whine. Again, car rides fine, so just wanted to confirm it is not differential. Did change the fluid on that about a year ago. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 2,583 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Does the noise change if the vehicle goes around a corner at the speeds you mention?

While it is possible the noise you hear is a wheel bearing, what is the age of the tyres (tires)? The date they were manufactured is molded into the sidewall as part of the 'DOT' number and refers to the week and year of manufacture.

Once they are over five years old from the date of manufacture, not date of installation, they should be replaced as the compounds used will begin to harden and even crack. You may notice evidence of this along the 'shoulder' or sidewall.

The following users liked this post:
Amadauss (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 PM

The tires are about a year and a half old and have about 15 thousand miles on them. They look great but here is a possible issue. Never had them rotated or balanced since I put them on. Been so crazy with other issues going on just did not do it and I know it should not be the case. Always thought would do them but they kept riding so nice just put it off. Could that be the problem? Bridgestones. Would not have thought the tires would make that noise. Thank you for your quick response on my original post.

And around corners, do not take note to any change or more or less noise. Actually going over 50 you still hear it but with everything else going on the sound loses its volume.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Amadauss
The tires are about a year and a half old and have about 15 thousand miles on them...And around corners, do not take note to any change or more or less noise. Actually going over 50 you still hear it but with everything else going on the sound loses its volume.
A simple way to eliminate the tyres as a possibility is to have the vehicle raised on a hoist and run it to the speeds you hear the noise. If the noise is present, it is a simple matter to listen with a stethoscope and determine if the noise is from the wheel bearing or differential.

I know you said the tyres are not old, but remember, it is not the date they were installed on the vehicle, it is the date they were manufactured that counts.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
Amadauss (12-23-2013), Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-24-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I think you have the same size tires/wheels on the front and back of car??
I would rotate the rear tire to the front to see if there is any change.

It does sound like a wheel bearing.

Is there any change when you corner?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
A simple way to eliminate the tyres as a possibility is to have the vehicle raised on a hoist and run it to the speeds you hear the noise. If the noise is present, it is a simple matter to listen with a stethoscope and determine if the noise is from the wheel bearing or differential.
Agree wth that, saves a lot of time and hassle.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Does your noise change when taking turns? The old school way if I am correct is if it gets louder turning right then it is the left wheel. That might only apply to front wheels. Does yours change pitch when in a turn?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 PM

It doesn't seem to make any noise when turning although I am kind of deaf but not so much a whine as a hum sound. And it only starts up at 20 to 25 miles an hour and when I decrease in speed when it hits around the same it stops or at least I am not hearing it. I am going to have the tires rotated and balanced tomorrow and then see what happens and report results. The tires were made in 09/2010.

Thanks everyone for the help. Have a great Holiday season.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When you let off the gas, does it momentarily stop the noise?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM

It doesn't seem to make any noise when turning although I am kind of deaf but not so much a whine as a hum sound. And it only starts up at 20 to 25 miles an hour and when I decrease in speed when it hits around the same it stops or at least I am not hearing it. I am going to have the tires rotated and balanced tomorrow and then see what happens and report results. The tires were made in 09/2010.

Thanks everyone for the help. Have a great Holiday season.
Based on your comments, it would seem this is most likely a tyre noise as they are approaching their fourth year since manufacture, which would be March 2014.

You also have a wonderful holiday with family and friends.

Amadauss (04-02-2014)
Old 12-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Over here they say tyres are good to 10 years old. Is it just that our climate suits the compounds better or is it a very imprecise timescale?

Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Over here they say tyres are good to 10 years old. Is it just that our climate suits the compounds better or is it a very imprecise timescale?
The 7 year or 10 year rule of thumb for tires is as imprecise as stating that 50% of a given group of people are below average. Even using it as a lowest common denominator it's done little to improve tire 'safety'.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

We tend to say the problem is the nut behind the wheel.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-25-2013)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Hello all, Parked the jag in the garage and spent the winter most of the time with my father and used the car sparingly. Plus when you have a jeep, you can drive that and also do a lot of repairs on those which I did. I started to use the Jag about 3 weeks ago and picked up a bunch of salt from the roads. Anyway one of the comments was in reference to the tire making the noise and I think that is the issue.

First warm day yesterday jacked it up and took off the wheel and it is not wearing evenly at all. What is really weird is how it is wearing with some spots on one side of the tire wearing down and on the same side then ok and the other side no wear signs at all. And I was not the best at keeping the pressure correct either. While the tire was off though, I took note to a few things I am going to need to repair. I am posting pics for review. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel bearing?-ya0u.jpg   Wheel bearing?-h3w7.jpg   Wheel bearing?-aggu.jpg   Wheel bearing?-3z8p.jpg   Wheel bearing?-03py.jpg  

Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes those are your rear tie rods.

The Lincoln LS had some passive rear wheel steering built in as their rear tie rods had some additional "play" in them. But all the aftermarket ones do not have this feature. So you can use the Lincoln part and they are on EBay.

It very common to have those boots go bad. Look at your upper control arms front and back and they are most likely busted also. Along with your front and rear sway bar end link bushings.

I only replace them when they make noise or get loose. If you can feel some looseness then I would plan on changing them.

Amadauss (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Here's a really nice How To: Oh you might have to scroll to the top of page 1.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...80/#post356818

Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks Rick, that will be a big help. Appreciate it.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 AM

Realized my spare tire was a full size, so I swapped them to see what would happen with the tire making all the noise. No change in fact, it even got a little louder.

Couple of things, when removing the tire both times to check everything out, after taking the lug nuts off, usually the tire just comes right off. I had to give it a whack with a hammer from the inside out to get it off the rotor. Not very hard, but it was stuck on the rotor. I did not give the rotor a good look to see if it was warped. And I don't thing the tie rods I have to replace would make that sound.

So I am thinking rotor or wheel bearing again. I am also going to check the diff fluid just to see if it is correct. It does travel down the axle to the bearing correct or am I wrong there.

I would have thought a bad rotor would make the car wobble or shake a little bit but not getting that and the spare was in good shape.

any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Realized my spare tire was a full size, so I swapped them to see what would happen with the tire making all the noise. No change in fact, it even got a little louder.

Couple of things, when removing the tire both times to check everything out, after taking the lug nuts off, usually the tire just comes right off. I had to give it a whack with a hammer from the inside out to get it off the rotor. Not very hard, but it was stuck on the rotor. I did not give the rotor a good look to see if it was warped. And I don't thing the tie rods I have to replace would make that sound.

So I am thinking rotor or wheel bearing again. I am also going to check the diff fluid just to see if it is correct. It does travel down the axle to the bearing correct or am I wrong there.

I would have thought a bad rotor would make the car wobble or shake a little bit but not getting that and the spare was in good shape.

any thoughts? Thanks.
I recently had a similar issue, but with the front right tire - same deal - an increasing amount of noise above 20 - 35 MPH + then one day as I was going down my block to pull into my garage (around 5 MPH) the brake pedal started pulsating (ABS) - hooked up my scanner and checked all wheel speed sensors when driving slow. The RF sensor was initially lagging behind the others.

Sure enough - pull off that speed sensor and it was full of metal shavings and grease. Cleaned it, went around the block - pulled it and same deal. Replaced the hub assembly - noise went away and ABS working 100% again.

Might be worth pulling the speed sensor - if you see any grime or metal on it - more than likely the internals of the hub assembly are worn beyond repair.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by abonano; 04-04-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Amadauss (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Have On Demand from Mitchell and they are ok but I wish they would go into detail or explain a little better how to actually remove a part instead of just pointing. Here are the three pics they supply with what to look for and where to do it. Anything special here when removing that sensor? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel bearing?-66xp.jpg   Wheel bearing?-xwzk.jpg   Wheel bearing?-3kvw.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing?