X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type Front Differential Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy X Type Front Differential Work

So, I found out that my X Type has a bad front differential after I just got done replacing a bad front wheel bearing. So, my options are to either get a "new one" from Jaguar if possible, a used one, or get it rebuilt.

For the rebuilt+service, I was told it would cost about $2000. I was wondering if anyone whose gone through this problem (which I know that the differentials and transfer case are common problems that can turn this car into a money pit one after the other), what would be the best and cheapest way to get this thing fixed. I could either get a new part and do it myself, or I can get mine rebuilt and have someone else put it in (or I could probably put it in). I'm willing to learn how to do it, but I'm just wondering what the best way to do it is, and which is more cost effective.

Last edited by Xtyper; 02-27-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Smile

Go to carparts.com, and put up what you need. There are several hundred yards that bid on your part. I got a $9000 Audi Quattro electrically shifted trans for $1500. After 6 years, it is still working great......Just a suggestion....Be cool......Mike

Old 02-28-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd freshen up a boneyard piece, personally.

How did you open up the top speed limiter? I see you have a 146, which is the 'open' euro-spec...My NA version tops out at 133 in 4th, 127 in 5th. (pretty much max for my tires, anyway...)

Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by wa3ra
I'd freshen up a boneyard piece, personally.

How did you open up the top speed limiter? I see you have a 146, which is the 'open' euro-spec...My NA version tops out at 133 in 4th, 127 in 5th. (pretty much max for my tires, anyway...)
I actually haven't. Mine tops out at about 133-135 give or take, I just know that unlimited it's about 146. Which is fairly impressive. I would've liked to, but.. Ehh.

My time on the forums may be short, since I actually plan ok selling it to someone on Craigslist. This is just 1/3 differentials, and I'm only at 90k. I'm lucky, cause i hear people going through centre diffs every 30k. Rear diffs are easy to find, transfer cases sure. But, front one aren't on any good sites, and no junkyards around has an X Type. Plus, with the with I've been putting in it for the past few months I've had it, it's turned into a money pit sign. And, a used one can go at any time. And even if i fix it, I've still gotta deal with the fact that it's an auto tranny, and not a manual. And got knows how hard and pricey that conversion is.

So, I'm sad to say �� I'm selling it now.

Last edited by Xtyper; 03-01-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry to hear you are selling it for that reason. I don't know where you heard about problems with the diffs, but I can't say that I remember hearing of anyone typically having trouble with them. Maybe the car had a rough life and was neglected by its previous owner. Good luck with whatever you get to replace it. What ARE you going to replace the Jag with?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Sorry to hear you are selling it for that reason. I don't know where you heard about problems with the diffs, but I can't say that I remember hearing of anyone typically having trouble with them. Maybe the car had a rough life and was neglected by its previous owner. Good luck with whatever you get to replace it. What ARE you going to replace the Jag with?
Yeah, it may have been. Granted, even if it's not as common of a problem as I thought, I still can't afford the chance. I've got nothing to lose with putting it on Craigslist and getting more than it's really worth.

Anyways, I don't really have to replace it, but I've got myself a 2008 Mazda 6 with 115,000 miles (4 years newer than the Jaguar, and has an extra 25,000 more miles on it, lol- now that I think about it I'm guessing the previous owner was good to the Jaguar). 4 door, FWD, 6-speed automatic with tiptronic, all with an 2.3L inline 4. And a button to disable traction control It's a step down, but... idk, I enjoy it a lot. They got a lot of cheap quality mods for it too.

After that, idk. I might get a little 5-speed Mk4 GTI or a Jetta or something, or maybe even an `07 Mazdaspeed6. I was thinking about a manual newer gen WRX or STi, but... idk, that's just not me. It can be as fast and cool as it wants, but... sometimes you just need something that's you, and something you're really passionate about. So that's probably why I'm now looking along the lines of a "project car". Either some older sporty car from Germany, or something ridiculously JDM. I'm gonna miss the X Type. It was short lived to me, but damn... it was just a beautiful machine, and the AWD system was actually pretty amazing for being Jaguar's first attempt. I'm now looking for a FF or FR car instead of AWD or 4x4.

Last edited by Xtyper; 03-01-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I am curious how you diagnosed a faulty front differential and what the symptoms are. What is the condition of the differential fluid and were there any metallic particles present?

Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
I am curious how you diagnosed a faulty front differential and what the symptoms are. What is the condition of the differential fluid and were there any metallic particles present?
Well, at first I thought it was a wheel bearing. The other 3 were new so I replaced the last one and it was still there. It sounded like a whine from the front differential since I've heard the noise before (and it's been happening on the X Type for a while now). As well as the fact that most people with an X Type I know who have heard the 'whine' have found it to be a differential or the prop-shaft. And the gear oil was plentiful- as well as the tranny fluid. It got louder the faster you drive, and starts to die down a bit as the gear oil heats up and everything gets to operating temperature. And, the roads I've been having to take lately haven't been the best either. Potholes and bumps all over. I try to drive as safely as I can over those. So, I took it over to the guy who did the wheel bearing and he said it was the front differential (I haven't done work on the Jaguar myself- it's been scaring off a few of the technicians I know for some reason and I've just never had a reason to... it might just be the brand). His boss said the same.

Honestly, in my opinion. It's either the front differential, which is what people say it is. Or it's a very severe case of a bad prop-shaft and/or centre bearing- which I think it may be since this is actually a very common problem with the X Type from what I've heard (even more than the transfer case). Although, to be honest. Whether it's the prop-shaft, the centre bearing alone, or the front differential. The amount of work I've already put into the car + what it might cost for parts (since I'd probably put in the new parts myself unless I had to repair my current front differential) considering I'd probably go ahead and replace the centre bearing, with the chance that it's the entire prop-shaft, and having to buy that (which comes with a brand new centre bearing- which could go bad again), and the off chance that it actually is the front differential which is, ehh... just no. It's just not worth it in my opinion. I'd much rather just buy myself another little FWD 4 banger that you can buy a ~100,000 mile motor for well under ~$1,000, as disappointing as that sounds to other people. The X type is great, but like I said, it's just not for me. I think it's time to part ways. The chance to cost ratio just doesn't seem worth it to me right now. Sad, I would've loved to do some more interesting work on the car myself. Such an head turner. Very rare here.

Oh, and it's great to meet you. Must've been interesting being a race technician for Scuderia Ferrari, and Newport Beach also looks like a place I'd like to visit someday. I'd have to decide with all the other beaches they got, lol. Haven't done much of that.

Last edited by Xtyper; 03-01-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM

Did you have the differential fluid checked for metallic particles? If there are metallic particles present in the fluid, there may be a failing bearing.

Does the noise change when cornering left or right? This can narrow down the possibility of the noise being somewhere else in the driveline.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Did you have the differential fluid checked for metallic particles? If there are metallic particles present in the fluid, there may be a failing bearing.

Does the noise change when cornering left or right? This can narrow down the possibility of the noise being somewhere else in the driveline.
I haven't found any shavings, which is why I now think it's actually the centre bearing and/or prop-shaft and not the differential. Granted, it's been making this noise since 'I've' had the car (mostly in the cold and before it's warmed up) so there's the chance that there were shavings before then. And no, the noise doesn't change whatsoever when cornering/turning.

Last edited by Xtyper; 03-01-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 PM

Based on what you are saying, it is most likely the centre bearing on the propeller shaft or possibly a side bearing on one of the front drive axles.

To further isolate the noise, has anyone run the vehicle to speed on a lift to determine if the noise is possibly tyre related?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:39 PM

Based on what you are saying, it is most likely the centre bearing on the propeller shaft or possibly a side bearing on one of the front drive axles.

To further isolate the noise, has anyone run the vehicle to speed on a lift to determine if the noise is possibly tyre related?
No, I'm pretty certain it's not anything related to a tyre noise. Brand new tyres, balanced and aligned, brake rotors and calipers; tyre rod ends, wheel bearings, and control arms are good, etc. no change in noises when turning. I could always go ahead and do that tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I'll be selling the car anyways. My best bet is the centre bearing on the prop shaft, which I could always get from Spicer if I wanted to.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Here is a serious suggestion: get samples of fluid from the front diff; trans, TC, and rear (might as well do the oil while you are at it), and send them off to a test lab.

They will tell you what the problem is, if it is lubricated.

If it isn't, then it's in the shaft.

You will be amazed how much info you can get from a fluid test.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

inject some grease in the center bearing. I will bet you that the noise goes away.
Its a 5 min job and a 5 dollar fix.

Good Luck,
The Dr!

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (03-06-2015)