X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Change 2004 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Change 2004 X-Type

I have a 2004 X-Type 3.0 with AWD with regular Halogen Headlights and I was needing to change my low beam headlight on the passenger side (USA Right Side). Could someone please tell me how to do it? I didn't think it would be hard, but I have minimal light, and I was hoping someone could tell me off of the top of their head.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Does the Black Cover just pull straight out or do I have to twist it?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Talking

Okay I figured it out last night. I do have to say though that the engineers at Jaguar couldn't have possibly made a headlight change any harder. You would have to have the hands of a two year old to get it done.

Incase someone else comes across this thread. All you have to do is remove the black cover which is held on by a metal clip on either side and it pulls straight off, but then you have to jiggle the hell out of it to get it out of the worlds tiniest area. From there it's really easy, all you have to is remove the spring clip and change the bulb.

The problem I ran into was after I had reassembled it, I couldn't attach the one of the clips back on because it was really hard to reach. So I got a hangers and had it hold onto that clip and then after I put the black cover back on I use the hanger to pull that clip closer to me.

All of that for one 7 dollar light bulb.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 PM

I changed all 4 headlight bulbs and still nursing the cuts on the backs of my hands. You did well to get all the clips back on the covers as there was one I just could not secure after an hour of trying and a lot of swearing, which being a minister is not like me.
I intend one day to replace the front indicator bulbs for the neon type, but these look even harder to change.
Regards, Reggie

Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the engineers at Jaguar couldn't have possibly made a headlight change any harder.
They could have if they designed it like the Toyota Avensis (Mk1) - you have to remove the bumper and headlights to change the bulbs!!!!

I do agree the Jag's is a pain though.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I've been there too, I actually did removed the headlamps and install new ones and sure enough the bumber cover needs to come off - not as scary of a job as you might think either - were those the H1 bulbs?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TGK711
They could have if they designed it like the Toyota Avensis (Mk1) - you have to remove the bumper and headlights to change the bulbs!!!!

I do agree the Jag's is a pain though.
I saw an episode of fifth gear, where they complained about some Renault. If I remember correctly, you had to remove the front wheels, wheel wells and then start wiggling around with your hand to find the bulbs. Took a registered mechanic about 3 hours.

Nicely done Renault

Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the (US) passenger's side bulb is a bear to change—the driver's side bulb is much easier. Getting that outside clip fastened after everything else is done always takes me about a half hour.

On the other hand, I used to have a '98 Chevy Lumina; on that car, changing the battery required removing the washer fluid reservoir and a diagonal brace, as well as unplugging several wires (i.e. not just the positive and negative terminals of the battery). The guy who changed the battery said he thought GM had specifically engineered the car that way so that their dealerships could charge more labor.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was changing my passenger side low beam lamp and I discovered that the whole assembly has burnt out.

It's not just the bulb, but the bulb receptacle that has burnt out. Does anyone know that part name and # or where I can get it?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Change 2004 X-Type-c19ace64-32de-4457-8b29-c07e7ada44c7-18643-00000cfba35abc84.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I was changing my passenger side low beam lamp and I discovered that the whole assembly has burnt out.
It's not just the bulb, but the bulb receptacle that has burnt out. Does anyone know that part name and # or where I can get it?
From other postings it seems that the best solution is to obtain some ceramic connectors and splice them to the existing wires.
The problem will then not come back.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
See this post for details and pictures on repairing this common issue.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks very much!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please Help!

I have a 2004 X-type and shortly after buying it for my daughter, one of the headlight bulbs went out (low beam), so I decided to replace them with the silver star bright white bulbs. about 7 months after that they both went out about a week a part. I have replaced both bulbs with oem spec bulbs and replaced the fuses, however they still won't work. Any answers?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 AM

When you change the bulb, you need to change both in side, nut just that one, which went out. If you put a new one at one side only, the other side will go out soon and you need to replace it anyway.
Generally: the normal halogen bulbs god to be replaced in every year with normal usage conditions. The lamps looses the 30% of the light force after a year and stays on that lower level for a long time. I realized this, when I was working as a lamp manufacturing engineer.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adazard01
Okay I figured it out last night. I do have to say though that the engineers at Jaguar couldn't have possibly made a headlight change any harder. You would have to have the hands of a two year old to get it done.

Incase someone else comes across this thread. All you have to do is remove the black cover which is held on by a metal clip on either side and it pulls straight off, but then you have to jiggle the hell out of it to get it out of the worlds tiniest area. From there it's really easy, all you have to is remove the spring clip and change the bulb.

The problem I ran into was after I had reassembled it, I couldn't attach the one of the clips back on because it was really hard to reach. So I got a hangers and had it hold onto that clip and then after I put the black cover back on I use the hanger to pull that clip closer to me.

The hanger was an awesome idea worked really well.A women's hands work well in the other tight areas, although my husband did help me a lot. Thanks for your advice.
Ma Bell
2004 x-type Jaguar awd

Old 01-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks and want to add alittle more

Originally Posted by Adazard01

Hi I just want to say that your thread was a real help to me your idea of attaching a wire to the clip worked great I would like to add one thing that is too loosen the 2 bolts on the front pull the fascia back to disengage the locator pins then pull headlight forward it give about 1/2 " more room just enough to get the cover off.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

After my first struggle replacing them I just went with pulling the bumper cover and removing the entire headlight each time since, it is so much easier on the body and mind and much less work than one would think.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:03 PM

I just finished replacing the passenger side low beam bulb on my 2003 X-Type. It took about an hour or so. I found the previous post by majorami suggesting to remove the 2 upper fascia bolts and pulling the headlights forward to get an extra bit of clearance made all of the difference in the world.