XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Please help..Coolant Pump - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help..Coolant Pump - RESOLVED

2009 XF supercharged
fault code p2601
I got the restricted performance light supercharger coolant pump orderd a new pump the Bosch 010 but they sent me the Bosch 020 pump instead it pluged into the old connector with no problem. The engine ran fine for a few hours. But restricted performance returned today and now comes off and on... my question is the pump not the correct pump, I checked the fuse for the auxiliary pump which is in the fuse box under the hood and it is fine, is there a relay for this pump is so where is it located I can't find it in my manual. Also restricted performance comes on, and I turn the car off it will disappear for about 10/15mins and it shows up again which makes me think its electronics. please anything helps im all out of idea's and I want to get on the road again this is my first jaguar and I absolutely love this car

Last edited by GGG; 11-30-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Expand thread title and Add 'RESOLVED'
Old 11-20-2016, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Well, if you can't find the relay the pump is a key on run item, so it may be controlled by the main relay. That said, you could just test for voltage at the pumps plug with the key on, if there is voltage the pump should be running when plugged in. My guess is you have an air pocket in the charge coolant circuit. Let it cool overnight and before you drive it check the coolant level.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Well, if you can't find the relay the pump is a key on run item, so it may be controlled by the main relay. That said, you could just test for voltage at the pumps plug with the key on, if there is voltage the pump should be running when plugged in. My guess is you have an air pocket in the charge coolant circuit. Let it cool overnight and before you drive it check the coolant level.
thanks for your reply, but I've burp the coolant system already and refilled with coolant. I was thinking if the restricted performance light goes out after I restart the car doesn't that mean u would have voltage at the pump ?

Old 11-21-2016, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

No. But if the code self-clears (which will take at least 3 warm ups) it's probably OK.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
No. But if the code self-clears (which will take at least 3 warm ups) it's probably OK.
jagv8 the code clears itself after restart the engine but will return after about 10-15min of driving

Old 11-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

test for voltage like BW said... if you have it at the pump...everything electronic is working....either a bad/wrong pump... or something disturbing flow

Old 11-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

You should also make sure your polarity is correct from the new plug to the new pump, I know the Bosch 010 pump was reversed from my factory jag pump.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramondoxfsc
jagv8 the code clears itself after restart the engine but will return after about 10-15min of driving
It's not fixed, then.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

thanks for your reply, but I've burp the coolant system already and refilled with coolant. I was thinking if the restricted performance light goes out after I restart the car doesn't that mean u would have voltage at the pump ?
Well even with NO coolant flow, the fault would clear when the coolant temperature dropped due to you shutting the engine down, but as soon as you warm the engine the light would come on again.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:23 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Two things...

#1 be sure you changed the correct pump, there are two electric coolant pumps on these cars and they are in similar locations, one is for the heater (HVAC) and one is for the supercharger. The heater pump is mounted above the supercharger one, if you went in from the top you would meet the heater pump first, the supercharger pump is at the bottom of the raditator.

#2 the polarity of the pump connection as Bigg Will says

#3 have you felt / pinched the intercooler hoses that run to the charge cooler to feel that there is actually flow through the intercooler circuit? With the pump running if you pinch the rubber hose you will feel the coolant flowing through it and the pressure will push back against your fingers. If there is no resistance, there is no flow...

The following users liked this post:
Ramondoxfsc (11-30-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Two things...

#1 be sure you changed the correct pump, there are two electric coolant pumps on these cars and they are in similar locations, one is for the heater (HVAC) and one is for the supercharger. The heater pump is mounted above the supercharger one, if you went in from the top you would meet the heater pump first, the supercharger pump is at the bottom of the raditator.

#2 the polarity of the pump connection as Bigg Will says

#3 have you felt / pinched the intercooler hoses that run to the charge cooler to feel that there is actually flow through the intercooler circuit? With the pump running if you pinch the rubber hose you will feel the coolant flowing through it and the pressure will push back against your fingers. If there is no resistance, there is no flow...
Thanks alot. I think my problem is I changed the wrong pump, I changed the pump mounted directly under the passenger airbox. Is the supercharger pump in the same are ? I heard you mentioned it was under the heater pump?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:36 AM

They aren't the same, the heater pump is quite small, the intercooler pump is larger.

The intercooler pump is at the bottom of the radiator, quite low down, you will probably have better access to it from underneath than from above.

Put the original heater pump back, you don't want a bigger pump on the heater circuit it will mess with the engine coolant temperatures.

You can see the same error here, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1560976 he changed the heater pump not the intercooler pump.

Ramondoxfsc (11-30-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks alot. I think my problem is I changed the wrong pump, I changed the pump mounted directly under the passenger airbox. Is the supercharger pump in the same are ? I heard you mentioned it was under the heater pump?
The link to when I did mine.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/

Ramondoxfsc (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 11:33 AM
Talking

thanks for the help, As it turns out I changed the hvac coolant pump and not the supercharger coolant pump. After taking off the front bumper skid plate and the case that clips to the bottom of the intercooler the supercharger coolant pump was in clear view and easy to get to. After splicing into the old wiring harness the whole job took little over an hour and was fairly easy. Thanks for saving me $$$$ dealer quoted me almost $900! Car runs great so far. The Restricted Performance code cleard on its on after about 5mins of driving .

Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

They aren't the same, the heater pump is quite small, the intercooler pump is larger.

The intercooler pump is at the bottom of the radiator, quite low down, you will probably have better access to it from underneath than from above.

Put the original heater pump back, you don't want a bigger pump on the heater circuit it will mess with the engine coolant temperatures.

You can see the same error here, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1560976 he changed the heater pump not the intercooler pump.
Ahh, that's my write up you're quoting Cambo, and I can assure you there is NO error in which pump I removed AS AJ133SC engines (2010 up XFSC-R-RS) only have 1 electric pump mounted to the left lower side of the radiator and plummed to the auxiliary radiator in the left lower bumper air intake.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 12-01-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:49 AM

Ahh, that's my write up you're quoting Cambo, and I can assure you there is NO error in which pump I removed AS AJ133SC engines (2010 up XFSC-R-RS) only have 1 electric pump mounted to the left lower side of the radiator and plummed to the auxiliary radiator in the left lower bumper air intake.
Not you Will, the other guy who posted at the end of your thread, post #26, n8tertot you can see the two pumps side by side...

Old 12-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Not you Will, the other guy who posted at the end of your thread, post #26, n8tertot you can see the two pumps side by side...
Gotcha, sorry...
Of note to the 4.2 SC guy's the heater pump water inlet and outlet are mounted up and the intercoolers inlet and outlet are mounted down, it's also the bigger pump of the 2.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 12-01-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have the colour coded polarity.
Yellow or violet polarities?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The pink lead is ground and the yellow hot.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 AM

I see in the thread that you put that the red wire connects to the cars red wire but where does the ground wire go? Thanks in advance