Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR 1997 - 2003

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Default Valve cover gaskets

I want to remove one of the valve covers on my newly purchased 98 xj8 VP to check and see if the tensioners have been updated, need to know what side is easer to remove and what gaskets and seals I will need to replace.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM

+1 on the same question.
The VCs on both sides are leaking oil, and it drops on the little strip of metal right above the exaust, and it basically burns. It's totally NOT cool driving a jag with smoke coming from under the hood. It's not a huge leak, but it's getting worse. I think the VC gaskets have had it... Also, im sure there is an order in which to tighten the VC bolts down too, right?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 PM

It's all described in the JTIS CD manual.

Make sure mating surfaces are cleaned with solvent before reassembly.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

On the XJR, the lefthandside is easier because you don't need to remove the air cleaner box and tubing.

It's a pretty straightforward job, as Dan R says, all info is in the JTIS. One note of caution is that another member removed both his covers and found that one side had new tensioners and the other side did not..... (there was a long discussion about why this was, but it just was...) so it may be worthwhile removing both sides just to be safe.

You should probably replace the gaskets anyway as they do have a tendancy to leak and drip oil onto the exhaust, creating the horrid burning smell and/or smoke. (as mzs reports above)

While you are doing the cam covers you can do part load breather cleaning, MAS cleaning and Throttle body cleaning while you are there, as you will have easy access to all of this with the air box and cam covers off

* '90 XJ6 Sovereign "16,xxx miles"
* '92 XJS V12 Conv "till death do us part"
* '05 Aston Martin DB9

Gone

* '84 XJ6 VDP "Time warp"
* '06 XJ SuperV8 Portfolio "No, it's not black"
* '00 XJR "You never forget your first Jag"
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM

But what gaskets will I need to replace? just the cover gaskets as with any car.
Thanks
Bill
98/XJ8 VP
Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Default Valve Cover Gaskets

You need the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug o-ring seals, but make sure you get the correct ones. The older have "figure eight" seals and the later have o-ring type seals. The supplier should know. Get everything very clean. My gaskets were rubber and fit into grooves in the valve covers - kind of popped in. Pretty easy really. But remember, these are plastic, do not over tighten ! I found that a couple of the little bolts holding the coil pack covers on were stripped - oh yeah, keep the coil packs in order, don't mix them up. Not sure why, but everybody always told me that !
Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM

I don't see any reason to have to keep the coil packs in order, but I'd sure like to know if it truly is required and why.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

I think the valve cover seals are incorrectly called gaskets. Tightening them down will have no affect other than breaking the plastic valve cover. If yours are leaking, for a temporary measure, you can remove them, clean the cover slots well, run a small bead of black RTV in them and replace the seals.

The Lincoln LS 3.9L '00 - '02 used the same seals, both perimeter and spark plug, for about half the price of Jaguar ones.

I thought that the right one was easier on my XK8 but neither was difficult. The biggest problem I had was moving the oil dip stick tube out of the way and back in place.

One small caution, in order to get the left one off you will have to move the coolant overflow canister. Swinging it out of the way still attached to the bottom hose to the heating system will allow it to swing back and strike its mounting bracket. That can cause a tiny little hole, not even visible, to leak coolant only while under pressure. Ask me how I know.
1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe - 25k original miles http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Thanks All
Sure helps.
Bill
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Tags
1998, 2001, 39, clean, cover, gasket, jaguar, lincoln, ls, oil, plug, replace, ring, spark, tubes, valve, xj8