XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front hub question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Front hub question

I suspect I have a bad right front hub bearing. Turning right at highway speed I get a fair bit of groan and it's definitely coming from the front end. I just put new wheels on the car over the weekend and based on appearance of the hubs, the left side hub has been replaced sometime recently and a small amount of rust was forming on the wheel studs of the right side so I'm assuming it is original. The car has 75k miles on it now. I've never had a bearing problem on a car before so I am not well versed with this exact issue. Am I at least on the right path?

On top of that is there any problem here going aftermarket? I'm looking at Beck-Arnley and Timken. The OEM hub assembly is more than twice the price.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Torrid
I suspect I have a bad right front hub bearing. Turning right at highway speed I get a fair bit of groan and it's definitely coming from the front end.

Hi Torrid,

You may be able to determine if the problem is with the wheel bearing by conducting a couple of basic tests. Raise the front right corner with a jack until the tire is off the ground (the Workshop Manual says you should raise both the front and rear corners to avoid torquing the aluminum monocoque).

Grasp the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 and alternately push and pull with each hand to test for any detectable movement in the wheel (the rubber tire may deflect a little, but it's wheel play you're looking for). Spin the wheel and listen for any grinding or other noises (brake pad drag, for example). If you're unsure, raise the left front corner and repeat the tests on that wheel and compare its behavior to the right one. Jagaur lists the hub & bearing as an assembly - I don't know if the bearings can be replaced, but hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

On top of that is there any problem here going aftermarket? I'm looking at Beck-Arnley and Timken. The OEM hub assembly is more than twice the price.
Timken has been a longtime Original Equipment supplier to Jaguar, along with SKF and Toyo, all high-quality brands. The bearings in your hubs may even be laser-etched with a brand name and part number. If so, you can often use the part number to buy the bearings from an industrial supply house.

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Are the front hubs different on the XJ8 and VDP? If I enter the 2006 XJ8 it says the whole Timken hub assembly fits, but if I enter 2006 Vanden Plas it says the part does not fit.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:18 PM

Are the front hubs different on the XJ8 and VDP? If I enter the 2006 XJ8 it says the whole Timken hub assembly fits, but if I enter 2006 Vanden Plas it says the part does not fit.

They're probably the same part. I just checked the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) which you can download from this forum. You can also look up the correct part numbers at jaguarmerriamparts.com or jaguargaudinparts.com. Please let us know what you find!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-19-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM

According to the parts info from that site, the XJ8 and VDP use the same part.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:43 PM

The parts place I'm dealing with is assuring me that I'm supposed to just use the bearing and replace the bearing in the hub. I'll do that if that's the right answer if I want the Timken part, but how hard is the bearing to press out and replace? That is about $100 cheaper.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

The hub/bearing is a sealed part
the new hub comes with the abs sensor and studs
Once you have the brakes and backing plate off you remove the hub bolts and the hub. Replacement is the opposite

See here

The only hassle you may have is getting the hub bolts off. A good rattle gun and some penetrating fluid will do the job.
By a good rattle gun i mean one that is approaching 1000 ftlbs. I have the CP7748 that will do it easily
CP7748 ½? composite impact wrench - Chicago Pneumatic Corporate site
CP Rodcraft 1 2" AIR Impact Wrench Valued $499 | eBay

I have to do my XJR soon but cant see how you would just replace the bearing on the hub. Im moving interstate so it is one of those jobs i've been holding off till after the move plus ill be putting in a 2 post car host at the new house to make life easy. BTW intersate here in Oz means a 750 mile move

When I do the hubs i will also rebuild the suspension replacing all the common parts that wear in the front end. Makes sense to do it while its all apart

Keeping in mind the hub setup is not like older cars that have a stub axle. A stub that holds a pair of bearings, the disk goes over this and retained by a nut. The studs are attached to the disk. Our cars use a hub that the disk goes over so when you take the wheel off the disk is only held in place by the calipers

If you could remove the bearing from the hub and press in a new one I don't think you would get the correct alignment. It may be possible with careful measuring but would need a new hub to get the measurements from.

The time and hassle would not be worth it. Think of the hub assembly as a big bolt on bearing and what you are talking about is not pressing a bearing but rebuilding the internals of a bearing.

I would not consider this at all for the simple reason as the bearing you are replacing keeps the wheel on!!

If something goes wrong you will loose the wheel or wheels along with the brake caliper and disk and its going to get ugly from there really quickly. If it separates the only thing retaining the wheel will be the the tie rod.

Its not a few dollars Im willing to save at the risk of my and others safety.

Just replace the hub and while you are at it replace the common parts that wear in the front suspension

Cheers
34by151

Last edited by 34by151; 09-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

+1 on the general consensus being its a hub replacement rather than a bearing.

I don't know for sure, but assume it probably can be done, however, generally all the time and faffing about means that for a few ££ / $$ more its much quicker and easier to replace the bub assy

Did this recently on my wifes Passat and my SIL's Ford Mondeo, fairly quick and painless

Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Exactly. I want to replace the whole hub anyway and I'm getting the run around about the part. I'm going to buy the part anyway, I've verified it's the same as the XJ8 already. I may have to pay someone to do it though, I don't have an air gun.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member

A bearing supplier in your area will be able to supply it to you at a good price.

It is not a big job and any decent mechanic can do it for you in a couple of hours

Cheers
34by151

Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM

A bearing supplier would have the whole hub assembly?

The one place that has the part I want doesn't understand the logic of how I'm arriving at the Timken assembly fitting my car. I'm just going to buy the Beck Arnley from the place that guarantees fitment. The growling right turns are driving me crazy.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

OK, but make sure it really is the bearings before replacing. These hubs can be a real PITA to dismantle due to the steel of the hub, and the aluminium of the hub carrier, (or upright), being in close contact. Plenty of release fluid, and maybe a kettle or two of boiling water to expand the aluminium.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
OK, but make sure it really is the bearings before replacing. These hubs can be a real PITA to dismantle due to the steel of the hub, and the aluminium of the hub carrier, (or upright), being in close contact. Plenty of release fluid, and maybe a kettle or two of boiling water to expand the aluminium.
It's definitely the bearings. It absolutely howls on right turns and now the wheel is starting to judder at highway speeds. I'll keep the boiling water in mind for if I decide to do the install myself. The car has new brakes, wheels and tires, and the driver's hub has already been replaced at some point before I bought it.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

From the information that I have have read on this site I have decided that if one of my

wheel bearings fail I will pay a mechanic to loosen the four nuts on the hub with his

impact wrench,tighten them to about the same torque as the wheel nuts and then I will

drive it home to replace the hub.

"BTW intersate here in Oz means a 750 mile move"

34by151 Hope you are coming to Melbourne so that I can borrow your tools. LOL

Last edited by meirion1; 09-17-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

A bearing supplier would have the whole hub assembly?
Yes just quote the Timkin part number
It will look like this NEW Wheel HUB AND Bearing Assembly Front Pair 2 | eBay

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by meirion1
..I will pay a mechanic to loosen the four nuts on the hub with his impact wrench,tighten them to about the same torque as the wheel nuts and then I will drive it home to replace the hub.

34by151 Hope you are coming to Melbourne so that I can borrow your tools.
I would not recommend that from a safety point of view
If you dont have access to a rattle gun use a breaker bar an if needed a long pipe over the handle

Either way soak it in penetrating oil for an hour or so first

Sorry Meirion1, im heading the other direction, we are looking at acreage in the Glass House Mountains so the move is about 1000km. Moving the tools is a must but will have to get rid of machinery (mill, lathe ect) but on the plus side gives me an excuse to buy new ones!!!

Cheers
34by151

Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM

So I've heard talk that two of the bolts are Torx and the other two are hex bolts. Can I get some confirmation on this and sizes needed? I'll definitely need to buy a bit if it needs a Torx. I needed to take a 300 mile trip possibly next week, but I'm trying to put it off until I get the hub replaced. I don't know what happens when one fully fails, but I'm trying to minimize use of the car so I don't have to find out.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM

I needed to take a 300 mile trip possibly next week, but I'm trying to put it off until I get the hub replaced. I don't know what happens when one fully fails, but I'm trying to minimize use of the car so I don't have to find out.

Hi Torrid,

See the second photo in the album at the link below for an example of what can happen when a hub overheats and fails:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely get the complete hub assembly. Can't remember if they were all Torx, but I thought so. You will need a Torx in any event, but I can't remember what size.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by luv2fly
Definitely get the complete hub assembly. Can't remember if they were all Torx, but I thought so. You will need a Torx in any event, but I can't remember what size.
I did. I'll have the part tomorrow.