XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Looking at 2005 XJR.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking at 2005 XJR.

Hi, All

I posted a few weeks ago on the newcomer page that I was looking at a 2002 XJ8, but that deal fell through.

Now I am looking at a 2005 XJR with about 73K.

Is there anything related to this particular year or platform that I should look for or be aware of?

This site is a great resource and I have spent many wonderful hours reading the information here.

Thanks

Gary

Old 10-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary,

I own a 04 XJR and I love my Jag. They ride like a dream and they are very classy. But of course with the good there is some bad. These cars do have their known issues that pop up from time to time and the parts are sometimes pretty pricey. If you do decide to get it I think you will be happy with the car. I am.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-27-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Look at the 'sticky' at the top of the list. Lots of good info in there. Don't get put off, these cars are excellent buys and usually a bargain as well.

Don B (10-27-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the replies.

I didn't notice the sticky until after I had posted.

I've spent most of my time here on the X308 forum because that was what I was looking at.

After driving the XJR all I can say is WOW. If I buy this car I may end up reselling it for bail money.

The following 2 users liked this post by garsutt:
anindyam (10-27-2014), Don B (10-27-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by garsutt
I didn't notice the sticky until after I had posted.

I've spent most of my time here on the X308 forum because that was what I was looking at.

After driving the XJR all I can say is WOW. If I buy this car I may end up reselling it for bail money.
I just lost my 04 XJR to a crash and have picked up an 05 XJR a week later. VERY nice rides! Every Jag has its own little quirks. I've had five since March. I have seen a lot. I cannot say what you'll experience, but I would not trade any of mine, except the crash, but that brought me Anya.

Two weeks after my first XJR was my first speeding ticket. I blame the cruise control not working in that one. lol

Rags

Last edited by ragman1171; 10-25-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Don B (10-27-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I have an 04xjr. My advice would be to buy today because it would be gone tomorrow. That literally kept happening to me when searching for an R.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlackKat:
Don B (10-27-2014), ragman1171 (11-01-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

having owned an 05 and an 06 xjr I would look for an 06. slightly more hp but it seemed like less noise inside maybe better sealed and sound deadening but both overall great,.

Don B (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

love my 2004 XJR. have 80K on it now. Can't say much more than that.

RyeJag

Don B (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by FirehawkMike
having owned an 05 and an 06 xjr I would look for an 06. slightly more hp but it seemed like less noise inside maybe better sealed and sound deadening but both overall great,.
2006 brought a few, but significant changes for the entire XJ Line. The sound part that FirehawkMike refers to is because they added sound insulating laminated side glass. I never understood how this works, as its not thicker, nor is it double pane, but it DOES make the cars quieter. They also added Mesh Grills to the entire XJ line up instead of just the R. I am not sure about the multi piston brakes on the R, but the regular "ONLY" 300 HP XJ8's got larger brakes front and rear (About .5" larger rotors) They bumped the horsepower and torque by a tiny amount when they went to the AJ34 Engine also in 2006. Very significant in my opinion is they removed the body side molding that, while it was done nicely with the side marker light as the leading edge of it, I just think the cars look much cleaner and a touch nicer (which is hard to do on the already fantastic XJ) - all of these and the couple other 2006 changes are indeed minor, but worth considering. I wouldn't put a dollar value on them but they are notable. That's not to say I would pass up a low mileage well kept 05. For some reason I feel a but funny about 04's - Not so much because they were 1st year of the Aluminum Bodies cars, and Jaguar was still working out kinks in production type issues (I am sure that the 04 cars are completely comparable to 05 and forward - but for some reason I see a huge amount of 04's for sale. as in MUCH more than other years. THAT bothers me more than other concerns.

You will likely end up very happy you moved up to an x350 over X308 - I have owned beautiful examples of both, and while the X308 is an extremely charming car, and can be a great ownership experience, once you take car of the and plastic timing chain tensioners and guides (AND YOU MUST TAKE CARE OF THEM or make sure someone else has on an AJ26 4.0 Liter) The fact remains that the X308 is a dated design with the chassis going back to the XJ40 of the 1980's If you look at the passenger compartment taking off the front and rear clips its the same car, minus teh hokey and often glitchy electronic dashboard.

The X350 is a completely modern car. Think of it as a 2014 XJ wearing the classic Jaguar design. When jaguar went retro with the X350, the biggest issue was a lot of people did not "see" it as the completely new car that it was. Folks would say: "Oh, is that the new one?"

Not only is the Aluminum body some 700 lbs lighter than a comparable Audi A8, consider: The body would weigh 60% more if made of steel. Consider also, the body weighs roughly what a Mini Cooper Body weighs. That will give you an idea of how significant the weight savings can be - along with all the performance and fuel efficiency gained. Also these early models benefited the most from the weight loss. Moving forward through the years weight has been added back in, and the new model is substantially heavier.

Old vs new:

So yes, the X350 is a modern Jag, and I think of X308's as the last of the "Classic" Jags. Biy, the R versions of X300/X308 are fun though!

Attached Thumbnails Looking at 2005 XJR.-jag_xe_monocoque_biw_image_040314_03_cropper_thumbnail.jpg   Looking at 2005 XJR.-jaguar-xe-aluminum-monocoque-body-white-03-720x397.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Blairware:
Don B (10-27-2014), meirion1 (11-05-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

...and sold!

Old 11-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have literally what you were looking for, except mine isn't for sale haha, but as for issues....

Not really. I would find a LEGIT Jaguar mechanic who's honest, because as mine told me, who worked for Jag for 30 years prior to going off on his own, something in the engine was never modified for the extra power/supercharge and during the first few times of really flooring it, they get blown out. It's nothing major, and he said Jaguar was stupid for not modifying this part. Obviously I can't think of the part otherwise I would just tell you. But it wasn't a big deal, and someone with skill could fix/upgrade that easily. You wouldn't really notice a difference though. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Default "Blown out"?

Hi JexyMG.

Would be interested in what exactly gets "blown out" when flooring it on the 2005 XJR?
I have floored my 2005 XJR more than once in the few months I have owned it with no problems. Am still amazed at the power that is delivered so silently and smoothly. The only problem I have is a slight knocking when going over a bump left front. Sounds like it is under the dash but from info in this forum it could be something to do with the upper shock mount.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Hi JexyMG.

Would be interested in what exactly gets "blown out" when flooring it on the 2005 XJR?
I have floored my 2005 XJR more than once in the few months I have owned it with no problems. Am still amazed at the power that is delivered so silently and smoothly. The only problem I have is a slight knocking when going over a bump left front. Sounds like it is under the dash but from info in this forum it could be something to do with the upper shock mount.
I am going to see the shop today. I will ask him about it. It doesn't affect my performance at all either. Still able to clock 4.9 0-60. When I spoke with him, he made it sound as if it was a very minor thing. Respond to this post so it reminds me to tell you later what it is if you don't mind so I don't forget.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JexyMG
I am going to see the shop today. I will ask him about it. It doesn't affect my performance at all either. Still able to clock 4.9 0-60. When I spoke with him, he made it sound as if it was a very minor thing. Respond to this post so it reminds me to tell you later what it is if you don't mind so I don't forget.
Any news?!?!?!?!

Old 11-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

What ever you do stay away from the 4.0L V-8. The updated 4.2L is a way better engine with less problems.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
What ever you do stay away from the 4.0L V-8. The updated 4.2L is a way better engine with less problems.
The XK8 launched in 1996 was really a two door X308. It was Jaguars first model with the AJV8 - the 4.0 liter , a world class engine (was on "Wards 10 Best Engines" in 2000) but it also had the plastic primary and secondary cam chain tensioners as well as plastic guides for the chains. Oh, and early engines all had Nikasil Cylinder liners that wore excessively when reacting with the high sulfur in our fuel. They would become unable to get enough compression to start until you turned it over for several minutes to get oil into the cylinders. I know because I owned an X308 - a Sapphire Blue over Ivory Vanden Plas. It was my first "modern" Jaguar if you can call car with chassis developed in the 80's "modern"

Not knowing the service history, I bought the kit that includes all 4 chains, the guides and the 4 tensioners. This was Jaguars 3rd attempt to get them right, and they did, but not before exchanging a LOT of engines that failed. The secondaries fail first and you know by the rattle on start up. Left alone they can jump one tooth and your out of time and running, but poorly. Jump a 2nd tooth and you get to learn what an interference engine is. I bought the kit with new chains, guides and tensioners, Got tools together and early one Saturday took off the reverse hinged hood that only opened to about 40 degrees. Then I saw that already had the all-metal secondary tensioners. And it looked like I had the guides as well. About a month later I found a label down near the transmission bell housing that said: "Genuine Jaguar Re-manufactured Engine" or similar message. I never found out at what mileage it was replaced at but I never had any engine issues, or anything else for that matter - Every single component and switch and button worked in that car, and nothing ever broke or failed in over 4 years if ownership except the button for the trip computer on the end of the turn signal stalk. And that was broken when I got ot. . Really impressive from a company that has this ridiculous undeserved rep for quality when they have lead JD Powers for almost 2 decades. I can't tell you how many know it all "authorities" I have heard telling folks who admire a Jaguar they see "Oh, but they have HORRIBLE service records. I overheard one such genius telling someone who said "Beautiful car" to me: "Oh it may be beautiful, but Jaguars have the single worst reliability record of any car." Where the hell do people GET this crap?"

Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Default Jaguar Quality Rep

I am somewhat glad of the misperception of the quality that Jaguar has. It has enabled me to pick up a 2005 XJR at a very low price and the car is almost immaculate! Currently in UK in Bexhill. Traffic is awful at any time of the day everywhere!

Old 11-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairware
"Oh it may be beautiful, but Jaguars have the single worst reliability record of any car." Where the hell do people GET this crap?"
People love to be 'know-it-alls' especially when they don't know much.
"Oh, I heard it somewhere" or "Ask anyone, they'll tell you."

Meanwhile I gave up looking for a low-mileage 2005 XJ8 or XJR.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:37 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

love my 2004 XJR. Has 105K miles on it and is always fun to drive. Owned car for 7 years and 55K miles, not my daily driver. Replaced front shocks due to rattle. Have slow coolant leak, maybe due to leak around reservoir tank hose. Can smell coolant but very slow leak, pressure test revealed leaky hose, double clamped. Have not replaced valley hoses yet, which may be the cause. Replaced left rear control arm due to busing failures and front upper control arm, ball joint play. at times have poor heat in cab, may need need aux coolant pump replacement. Have replaced tranny, due to codes.

I would not hesitate to purchase an XJR, incredible cars for not much $.

Rye Jag