XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Windshield wiper relays and my anxiety attack

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield wiper relays and my anxiety attack

I have a 98X JR where the windshield wipers have been possessed by demons. The windshield wipers go incessantly at all times, varying their pitch count.

After doing research and reading numerous threads, I would like to start by replacing the windshield wiper relays, and testing the voltage of the battery.

My problem is, I cannot seem to locate an exact relay called the windshield wiper relay for sale.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for that? I'm stumped and would like to get this insanity fixed asap- the wipers constantly running no matter what setting is driving me batty.

Incidentally, the windshield wiper first started going post front end fender bender when you hit the brake, or turn left, (wiped once or twice) and have progressed to constant 2/3/2 pause 3/5/3/2- no rhyme or reason to its rhythmn- like a 6 year old picking up a guitar for the first time.

Thank y'all in advance! The help y'all provide is invaluable.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

$17.33 per (you need two) at PartsGeek.com. $14.95 at Welsh.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jhartz:
CaneCounsel007 (09-14-2015), Don B (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

I had this problem with my 98 XJR, What it turned out to be was grease from the motor drive had worked its way over a sort of dam onto the big wheel with the contacts on it.

I unclipped the black cover on the motor and lifted it enough to see inside with a mirror, then with some contact cleaner and a cotton bud ( the sort you clean your ears with) cleaned off the grease, then all was back to normal.

Prior to this I had spent hours searching for and cleaning all the connectors and grounds that I could find, changed the relays, even put my relays into a friends XJ, where they worked faultlessly!

The following 2 users liked this post by andrew lowe:
CaneCounsel007 (09-14-2015), Don B (09-11-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
I had this problem with my 98 XJR, What it turned out to be was grease from the motor drive had worked its way over a sort of dam onto the big wheel with the contacts on it.

I unclipped the black cover on the motor and lifted it enough to see inside with a mirror, then with some contact cleaner and a cotton bud ( the sort you clean your ears with) cleaned off the grease, then all was back to normal.

Prior to this I had spent hours searching for and cleaning all the connectors and grounds that I could find, changed the relays, even put my relays into a friends XJ, where they worked faultlessly!

--> When you say Contact Cleaner - do you mean Electrical Contact Cleaner- or like 'contact lens cleaner'- I've been meaning to ask you this since you answered! Thank you for the suggestion- I'm gonna take a look and see what I find!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry about that, should have been a bit clearer.

Electrical contact cleaner, the type that evaporates and leaves no residue.

Just be gentle/careful when you lift the lid on the motor, there are wires that I could not see how to disconnect.

Had the same problem as you, been nearly 3 years since I did my motor and still working OK.

Probably upset the Jag gods by saying that!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:53 PM

@andrew- I removed the cover this evening and then sprayed the ever living bejeezus on the electrics in there... Not quite as judicious as your method... Going to see if that works like a monkey's monkey in the morning... But goodness prior to thinking it through I felt like Ben Stiller in Zoolander... Thank you- we'll see if a spraydown is the way down.

- for the record, I couldn't see any grease as you described... But... sprayed everything, let it sit for a minute... sprayed again, let it sit some more. Then, prior to re-inserting screws, started car, and moved windshield wiper positions- didn't give me 35 different patterns, so holding my breath. And whatever you do, do NOT, do NOT anger the Jag gods- they get SO ANGRY! For nothing ! lol

Last edited by CaneCounsel007; 09-20-2015 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
andrew lowe (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Its always worth a try before replacing the motor, they aint cheap new!

I wonder how many have been replaced, that could have been cleaned?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:32 PM

@andrew: I tried the spraying... unfortunately no improvement- but couldn't hurt. Been driving with the vehicle whap whap whapping away in the Florida sunshine. So finally located the wiper relays- I think (THINK) I know what the problem is. Impact from crash mashed the wiper relays into a metal pipe and bulb and mashed down one of the relays. Im guessing this is why they've been going bat crazy since the crash. I'm super excited to get home with the rubber hammer. (Hopefully won't have to buy a slide hammer, but I'm sure I will anyway)... maybe I can even skate from having to buy new relays since the old prices are a lot less than the new price (everyone else got theirs for $10 from the dealership, I'm gonna rock $23.00 EACH from the online store - the cheaper ones (identical) from a different parts store- they only had one left in stock... Anyways, thank you for the help all!

Old 09-25-2015, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I hope that solves your problem -- the relays are a known failure point.

I had them go on my 02 XJR. I stopped into service one day and said my wipers were acting up -- the service guy had the relays under his desk, walked out popped the hood and replaced them. This was back when the car was new and under warranty.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:28 AM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew lowe

I had the exact same problem on my Mercedes. It was as if the wiper was possessed with demons. I opened up the wiper motor transmission case, cleaned the grease off the contacts and it was healed!

Here is a good video on the fix, but on a Mercedes:

The following 2 users liked this post by XJR Pilot:
CaneCounsel007 (11-10-2015), jrb53 (09-30-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 03:26 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. Unfortunately, I have yet to solve this problem... I think I will try to open the windshield wiper motor again, I didn't have the most luck doing this previously as it was dark out (I couldn't get it completely open), but I will accommodate for that and go buy myself one of those hanging lights this time. I switched out the relays with brand new ones, and that hasn't made much impact either. ( I got about three blocks with no movement of wipers, and then they woke up and rained their hellfire upon my anxiety and extinguished my early celebration)... Oh man... Is it time to attack the actual wiper column yet? The reason I am hesitant that this is a column issue was because the problem only reared its head once the accident occurred, and then upon discovery that the relays were pinned under a metal pipe... Any more insight or at least laughing hysterically with me would be appreciated. Cheers!

Old 11-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a similar problem with mine. I suspect the turn indicator stalk in the steering column is faulty. There is a direct correlation between bumps and errant swipes. Even the slightest tap on the stalk results in wiper activity. I'll just live with it until it gets worse. =) Check that and let us know what you figure out.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Check the wiring diagram to determine which wire and which post in the multifunction twist; pull the wheel; find the wire and post; resolder.

Search steering wheel; multifunction switch; clockspring; SRS airbag to discover all the processes and steps.

The following users liked this post:
mrlovt (11-13-2015)