XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Fuel nightmare - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel nightmare - FIXED

OK. I'll try to keep this civil as I am currently not at all happy with my beautiful 1994 XJ40.

I have been dealing with a very long cranking situation before starting. I hope this helps others before they go through this.

At this point, to stay sane, I gave up searching old threads as none I've been able to find speak directly to my problem. I give up.

I have replaced the following: Crankshaft positioning sensor, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, spark plug wires, battery, fuel pump (oh yeah! its the one in the tank! that was fun! .

So I go to start, it starts! Runs great! On the way to the gas station I am overwhelmed by gas fumes in the cabin....get a huge headache and pull over to see if I'm leaking or?????

I notice a hose coming from the tank (upper left US driver) side of the tank inside the boot that is just kind of hanging there. The hose I speak of has a little green clamp on it. It is connected to a pipe coming from the top left of the tank. I could see fumes coming from it after I turned off the car and opened the boot.

I, for the life of me cannot see where this hose is connected. It not only is leaking fumes, but even a little bit of fuel.

HELP!

Remember. Its a '94 XJ40 (XJ6) 4.0 liter six. Built in late '93 so its a little weird.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Happy New year to all you Jag owners out there.

David.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

First off, don't panic. I learned early on in here, patience is the key to resolving issues with this forum. These odd things come up now and then, and not everyone has had the same issues. Take the carpet out of the trunk by the fuel filler door. Remove the carpet on the floor of the trunk as well. Get a good light and climb in there and look up around the fuel area for a connecting piece that doesn't has anything attached. Look at the bare trunk floor for a rubber nipple like thing, that a hose could fit in. I haven't the same setup as you, so I can't see what you are looking at.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Thats a vapor hose. There should be a hard pipe going to it on that side of the tank. When you put the tank back in, did you have any trouble fitting it perfectly and were the straps further away than when they came out. If so, i'd say that the hard pipe that connects to that hose is sitting on the wrong side of the tank. the hard pipe goes to the vapor recovery system under the car. Go to jaguarclassicparts.com and search for CAC8638. That is what the pipe should look like. It goes towards the rear of the car and kinda jack-knifes up to the hose you speak of. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
malibudav (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Default Update.

Thank you for the replies. I found the plastic pipe that fits this vent hose. It was hiding just under the tank on the left. It was hard to see because its black. I picked it out with a screwdriver and hooked it up with success! No more fumes.

Test drive was great, my car hasn't run this well since I bought it.

OK. I'm happy again...

Because these cars at this age will always keep you guessing, I got a FF 24 today. Time for a new ignition amplifier.............

Last edited by malibudav; 01-07-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: removed redundany
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Cool , I am happy for you

Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

malibudav....Glad to hear your fuel issue has been resolved. Also lets us on the forum know that someone has provided you with a solution to your problem. I also have a similar long start situation, and will replace the pump, strainer, and filter in my '94 xj6. David.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  19.3 KB

Thanks for all the helpful answers and for coming back telling us its FIXED......This will be helpful for future owners with the same issue in future

Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Thanks for all the helpful answers and for coming back telling us its FIXED......This will be helpful for future owners with the same issue in future
Isn't that what this forum is all about? This is a great forum and its already saved me some $$$$$.

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by edselsouth1
malibudav....Glad to hear your fuel issue has been resolved. Also lets us on the forum know that someone has provided you with a solution to your problem. I also have a similar long start situation, and will replace the pump, strainer, and filter in my '94 xj6. David.
edselsouth1,

Thanks. However, it appears as though my long cranking problem has reared its ugly head yet again.

I'm currently trying to find out if the FF24 indicating a problem with my ignition circuit/amplifier is the cause. If anyone knows, please help.

Again, I've recently (last week) replaced the following: fuel pressure regulator, plugs, plug wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, cooling hoses, water pump, thermostat and the battery......and still, long cranking.....

MAF next (I have a spare), I don't know.

If I didn't love this car I'd hate it...!

I'll keep the forum posted as best I can...Cheers to all,

David.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Most of us have given our cars a girls name, now you know why.